Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivesmom_gw

FYI: Jute rugs shed dirt and lots of it!

olivesmom
10 years ago

We had engineered hardwoods installed recently and they are "delicate" at best. Since the plan is to sell our house soon we needed to put multiple rugs down to help protect the floor. I like the neutral look of natural fiber rugs and since this was a temporary thing I went with inexpensive jute rugs from World Market.

I guess I should have done some research first, because upon moving the rugs to mop the floor I discovered a ton of sandy dirt under each rug. Enough dirt to be swept into significant piles. And in cleaning it up I managed to scratch the floor, at least though the scratches will be covered by the rug s but still :(

I expected there to be shedding, as in bits of the fiber. I did not expect the dirt. The dirt remains under the rug, so it's not the end of the world. But it does make mopping a major PITA. And of course cleaning gritty, sandy dirt risks scratching the floor. If I had known this would happen I would have gone with different rugs I think.

Here is just one small corner underneath the dining room rug! And I have three more of these damn rugs to deal with, two long runners and a huge doormat!

So anyway, just a quick FYI for anyone considering jute rugs.

Comments (12)

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Oh wow,that is a mess! Can you return them? That just seems unacceptable.

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I probably could return them, but if I did I'd have to find new rugs and I'm not sure I'm up for that. If we were staying in the house I would be okay investing in nicer rugs, but since we are selling I just need something that looks decent. The dirt does stay under the rug, so at least the mess is contained to just underneath and only becomes an issue when I need to mop.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I had the same with a red PB jute rug -- only red/orange dirt piles.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

If it's sandy, gritty dirt or even rough fibers, it can mar the finish with any movement as people walk over the rug. Can you put a soft rug pad between the rug and the floor? All that fine dust will get lodged in the grooves too.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 23:20

• User
    10 years ago

You need rug pads under them. Not only will it contain the mess, it will keep the rugs themselves from scratching the wood.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

We had engineered hardwoods installed recently and they are "delicate" at best.

Olivesmom, by engineered hardwood do you mean laminate? Please tell me more because I have been thinking about getting them. I have started reading and researching Pergo and everything I have read says it is tougher and more durable than actual hardwood. Have you not found that to be the case? Did you think they would be and then found out differently after installation? If not, why did you choose to put them in - just for resale? Please help me understand what you meant. I don't want to make a mistake. Thank you so much!

Carol in Jacksonville

• olivesmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We do have rug pads underneath, albeit cheap ones from Ikea that are an open weave sort of design so I'm not sure how much they are helping. They do keep the rugs from shifting.

Love_the_yard: no, they are not laminate but a very inexpensive engineered hardwood made if birch. Because the wood is fairly soft, and there's only a thin layer of it, it dents and scratches very easily. A regular laminate would be much more durable. In fact, that's what we replaced. The previous laminate held up fairly well over the past eight years with only a few dings, but the color and design was dated and I hated it. We went with the engineered hardwood for resale, this way we can say"hardwood". There are of course, much more durable engineered hardwoods out there, we just went with a .69 a sq ft lumber liquidators special as we are selling and wanted to invest as little as possible.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I was just about to write that we have, what appears to be, the identical rug (altho purchased elsewhere) and that we haven't had that issue. Then I looked underneath and it is there. I've just never noticed because our floors are gold and the dust is gold (also our room gets very little light). Doesn't bother me because our floors are old and we will always have this or another rug over them so no worries about scratching. The dust seems to stay contained under the rug - what I can't see won't hurt me :)

• User
    10 years ago

Those rugs are basically boot scrapers, brushing off all the dirt from your shoes, which then filters down through the open weave of the rug onto the floor below. Additionally, every time you walk on the rug it flexes against itself and tiny fibers are cut or rubbed off from the rug, and they filter to the floor below as well. A really good pad is a necessity under a jute rug indoors.

They are too messy for me to even use outside. We had one for several years on a stained concrete patio and the amount of junk that collected under it --- that couldn't be blown away except by moving the furniture and taking up the rug--- was incredible. We gave the rug away and warned the recipient he was starting a silt farm by using it!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I bought a similar, very large rug. Loved the texture. Not only did it cause an ongoing mess, but water would stain the thing. Which meant there wasn't a way to clean with anything. Lasted less than a year dealing with it.

An easy alternative to a rug pad is the thin rubber backed throw down rugs from walmart. They are for outdoor entries. You can cut to fit and will contain dirt from the floor. They come in a variety of sizes, usually in muted red, green or black solids. Not pretty, but can't see them under the rug.

• Kim Thornton
    2 years ago

I also advise that if you have a dog DO NOT get this rug. I found everytime I sat down on the couch I kept getting a dirty smell. The rug isnt even a year old yet and it holds smells badly. Other then that and the ungodly amount of DIRT it sheds, I also noticed that it seeemed to wreck my wood floors worse then they already were. It seemed to hold moisture therefore leaving a white mark where the rug was after a tool it away. Loved The look of it but will not continue to use anymore. Was a,waist of money to me😒