Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Who has 'Supreme' drapes from Penney's?

franksmom_2010
13 years ago

So, I may have found curtains for the boring guest room. The Supreme line from Penney's, in a Silver Sage color. I took the paint swatch and pillow sham in yesterday, and the colors look nice together. The green doesn't match anything, but contasts nicely with all of it. I debated about going totally funky with some lime green and hot pink kiddy-style curtains, but just don't think that would work for me. I've also given up on finding a decent quality, lined, affordable, washable curtain in a color that I want.

So, these come with either the foam thermal lining, or the Roc-Lon lining. I like the idea of foam, because we have drafty windows and they block more light for sleeping in (windows face North-East) but I'm concerned the foam won't hold up as well.

I think I've also decided on the rod pockets, and not pinch pleats. I like the look of pinch pleats, but you have more flexibility with the rod pocket/back tab versions. I can be fickle.

If you have these, which do you have, and are you happy with them?

Comments (16)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    13 years ago

I used to have them.
    I got tired of them long before they showed wear.

But that was some years ago, and I have learned that most things are NOT made as well as they USED to be! Don't know about the quality now....

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

My DD has them in her house and they look very nice. She has the lined tab-top panels:
    {{!gwi}}

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

I had ordered several pair in different colors. I didn't end up keeping any for my space but not because they weren't nice or quality. They seem very well made and the colors were gorgeous.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I have thermal pinch pleated Supremes in my family room. The color is Chestnut which is mainly brown but with a sprinkling of gold in it. I love them, the fabric isn't dull at all, sort of lively. I didn't want pins and that type of rod; mine are up on rings.

I have had them for a year now; with 2 dogs and 2 cats and 3 kids, they have been fantastic! Fur does not stick to them! YEAH!!!

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much!! Sandra, have you dry cleaned them yet? I know I've had washable drapes before with that foam thermal lining, and it was completely hit or miss if it lasted or not. And when a piece of it peels off the back and the sun shines through...yikes!

I was thinking of replacing the blinds in there with roller shades, though, so that would add an extra layer of light blocking and insulation.

I adore the fabric on those drapes! It's not too shiny, not too flat, has a subtle texture, but not too much. I bought a valance in the Aqua Green for the dining room and just love it!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

In my former home, I had the pinch pleats in Linen color. I was very happy with them. Hope the quality is still good.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

No, sorry Franksmom, I have not. I took them down when I repainted my room, aired them out, checked them over, steamed them when I rehung. The lining has not deteriorated or discolored in the year I have had them. I am hard on them; between our family, our pets and the fact that I burn wood in this room 24/7 from November through March or April.

I have 12 of them in my family room. For the cost, I am very pleased with these panels. I checked out many different draperies before settling on these; I returned many from Penneys and Pottery Barn, got samples from many places, but for the cost, I couldn't beat these and I loved the fabric on these most of all.

The only negative I would put out there is that the quality control is not 100% there; all was well with all my panels other than the length. Order more, return the extras, be sure to search out coupon codes.

I am still pleased with my purchase.

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, that's good to know! We have a herd of cats, so the hair not sticking is a plus, and that's wonderful that they haven't discolored!

Yes, I feel like I've looked at every drape made in the past year. With the exception of the laundry room, every room in our house has a window, and I've put up some sort of curtain on all of them. I made all of our bathroom drapes, because I wanted something well made, washable, and in certain patterns and colors. Although our master bath was just serendipity...I bought fabric for dirt cheap, just because I loved it, and months later, discovered that a sample towel that I had lost the reciept for was a great match. Bought more towels, and made up a curtain in that fabric! I have no desire to make more curtains, though. This room will take at least six panels, so the cost and time for something that may or may not turn out well just isn't worth it this time.

I have read that about the length. The quality of the workmanship and fabric seems great, but I guess there's a lot of variation on the hemming.

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

I have the Roc-Lon lined rod-pocket draperies in my living room. Love them. I was so surprised by the quality .
    I ordered them on line. I got the 90" because I like for mine to drape on the floor.
    The color is Soft Gold (I think).
    My phone camera does not give accurate color.

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

Forgot this one and I think I figured how to make pics smaller. Patting myself on the back.

• mzdee
    13 years ago

I have always used Supreme. They are fabulous drapes. I buy the lined ones as my Mom always hated the foam back. But of course, she didn't have my utility bills.........

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I've decided against the foam backing. I'm sure it's fine, and it does help with noise and drafts, but I'm telling you, one bare patch of the foam (cat scratch, claw hole, etc.) and it's all over, so lined it is.

And now I've talked myself out of rod pockets and into pinch pleats. Good grief! I have rod pockets, hung on either clip rings or just the rod, throughout the house, and I think I want something different in there. I'm not a fan of traverse rods, unless I can find a fabulous one, so I think I'll hang them by rings. Or maybe rod pockets...agh!!!

I want a casual, vintage look, but NOT old lady. Oh, and I bought a bedskirt (with colors AND pattern) so I'm waiting for that to arrive. Woohoo! This week, I'll be looking at paint swatches in a rasberry color. I may just faint from all of the excitement going into that room!

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

Gasp~~~~~~~~~faint~~~~~~how did you know I was an old lady?
    Could you tell by my rod pockets? Or my sheers? Lol

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I embrace the old lady decor myself! I have rod pockets, sheers, and sometimes, both on the same window! LOL! Honestly, I don't know which is more Old Lady...rod pockets or pinch pleats?

Really, what did it for me was that it was suggested that I make the drapes much wider on that one window, which means either four panels, or a pair of pinch pleats. The only thing I don't like about the four panels idea, is that those darned seams won't ever lay *just right* and I know that will bug me. I also wonder how difficult it would be to open and close the drapes directly behind the bed if they're on a rod instead of rings? On the other hand...how often will they be opened and closed? Rarely, would be my guess. I do like that pic of them, though. Really pretty all gathered on that rod. Someone tell me what to do.

I asked to see the sample of the "Jewel Tex" drapes at Penney's, and the sweet sales lady said "My Mother has had those same drapes up in her house since the '60's. You don't want those." Which made me just LOL right there in the store! They do have that certain slubby, cheap hotel vibe about them, but I kind of like it. At least in photos. *sigh*

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

I have found over the years my agonizing has always been over draperies and rugs!
    I know if I love a piece of upholstered furniture the second I see it but draperies and rugs are an issue.
    With furniture if you choose wrong usually you can cover it with slipcovers but draperies, you don't know if you chose wrong until you see someones you like soooooooooo much more! lol
    Good luck

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

Do you have a Tuesday Morning near you? I just bought some lovely panels there for our living room. They have tab tops behind the pinch pleats, which means you have two options for hanging them:
    hooks
    slide on the rod
    I took the lazy way out and just slid them on the rod for now, but will probably use hooks after the holidays.