Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauragirl

loving my new (almost) black flatware

lala girl
11 years ago

I have been on the lookout for new flatware for about a year or so (to replace my wedding flatware from 15+ years ago...)

I really could not find anything inspirational enough to drop the money on. And the flatware I did end up loving was handwash only.. and um, no to that.

After realizing we were now in a desperate situation with forks, I found some matte black flatware at Design Within Reach. It is more of a deep dark grey in person and looks so striking with my chunky white Bennington Pottery. Different, but low key at the same time. Who knew flatware could make girl so happy? Just had to share :)

Comments (22)

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I love that! So cool! I've never seen it before.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Very nice, what is it made of?

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Wow - that is super cool! I'm with Palimpset - what is it made of?

• geokid
    11 years ago

Those are really cool!

• lala girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's stainless steel (thus not expensive, which makes me happy that I don't have to baby it.) They also have it in "gold" which was pretty great looking, but I thought that might not wear as well and I wondered if I would get tired of it.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

My DH works with metals so I asked him how it's done and he said it's a process similar to the 'bluing' of the metal in guns. It works much like a stain on wood, and is etched a bit into the surface of the stainless steel. It will wear over time, especially with daily use. It is cool looking, though.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

You should not have posted that flatware. I would have gone on happily living with my 38 year old flatware if I had not seen it. Now I have to have that flatware. I splurged on new dishes when I finished my kitchen but didn't think to get new flatware.
    Don't you think that almost black flatware would look fabulous with my dishes? And there is a Design Within Reach store in my immediate area. Hope they have an after Christmas sale.

Dinner plate and salad plate:

• lala girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dlm, thanks for the scoop on the process - interesting! And I am good with wear, nothing in my life does not have patina (including, unfortunately, my face).

badgergal - your dinnerware looks a lot like mine so yes, I think they will work well together! I am also hoping DWR has an after Christmas sale too as I would like to pick up some extra sets. They seem a little stingy on the sales though... you are lucky to have a store.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

OMG, SWEET!!!

• texanjana
    11 years ago

That is really cool looking.

• susie100
    11 years ago

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't like it. I thought it was plastic. But hey, different strokes.....

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I love the look, so much more interesting than plain stainless.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

I'll have to say that I'm with susie100 on this. I actually thought you were pulling our legs at first and that this was a photo of disposable plasticware. The idea sounds very interesting, and I'm sure it must look much better in real life and of course, once you pick it up, the weight would be there...but the picture had me going.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

COOL!!

• sochi
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• msrose
    11 years ago

laurainlincoln - Your countertops are Madre Pera, aren't they? I've had a hard time finding a granite/quartzite that I love, but I'm drawn to yours and Pipdogs every time I see it. This is the first time I've seen it up close and I think I like it even more now. You two are the only ones I've seen with it though. Can you tell me if it's hard to find? How expensive is it? It seems like I remember hearing it doesn't stain, which is a must for me. Is that your experience?

Love your black flatware!!!

• hwieneke
    11 years ago

I have been searching and searching for flatware - I love it- and I love it against the Taj Mahal quartzite, which I also have:) Then I saw Badgergal post that we have a store in our immediate area (what, I don't have to drive to Chicago) I think I'm going today and get myself a Christmas present - thank you!

BTW Badgergal, our football teams rock!

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful find! Thanks for sharing the website too, they have such interesting items!

• lala girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi msrose - yes, the MP has been really stain and etch resistant, it's been a breeze. I would recommend it in a heartbeat. I think it depends where you live as to whether as to availability - We got ours at Midwest tile, and they have a lot of locations in the Midwest. It was on the higher end of the granites but not crazy, but again that could be geographical. Where are you located?

• FSachs
    11 years ago

Love the flatware!

• msrose
    11 years ago

Laura - I'm in Texas. Glad to hear it's not at the crazy end of high, because that's usually what I fall in love with. The good thing is I have a very small kitchen, so I can afford to splurge a little. I've been in my house for 2 years now and looked at granite when my mother was redoing her kitchen 3 years ago and never found anything that caught my eye until now. I knew if I just sat back and waited the right one would eventually come along. I googled packergirl's Taj Mahal and I love it too, so I'd be happy with whichever one I can find. I actually can't tell the difference between the two.

• nicole__
    11 years ago

I've never seen black flatware before now! Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax