Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

question about painting prep

3katz4me
10 years ago

I posted months ago about this gawd awful adhesive that was left behind when I removed some border. This was in a closet hallway with kind of a textured wall and I was hoping the adjacent non-textured bedroom wouldn't have the same problem. Well joy of joys, I tackled the bedroom this weekend and the border came off easy-peasy. It was one of those adhesive backed self stick borders.

So the wall looks great where the border was, nothing nasty like the hallway. However the area where the border was feels very, very slightly tacky compared with the rest of the wall. I tried scrubbing it with Dirtex, 409 and Goo Gone. The Goo Gone might have taken it off somewhat but overall it seems like nothing made much of a difference. I don't want to scrub so much that I damage the the surface of the sheet rock.

So do you think I can just paint over this or should I cover it first with something like Kilz? I'm going to have to do that in the closet area where I couldn't get the nasty adhesive off completely and where the wall surface was damaged more by my scrubbing.

Comments (8)