Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

Dressing your chandelier for Christmas?

schoolhouse_gw
11 years ago

Dragged the tall ladder into the house and dressed the chandelier awhile ago with a garland and some real holly. It's kind of scary when the chandelier starts swinging ever so slowly, hopefully the ladder never starts to fall and I have to grab onto the it!
Looks so much prettier in person, and taking photos in low light on my camera is impossible. Need a tripod and a slow shutter speed they tell me.

I've seen some beautiful chandeliers on the HD forum, do you decorate them for Christmas? Some have already been posted but would like to see them again.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I do, but I haven't decorated mine yet. I'm having a dinner party in mid Dec., and I'm waiting to buy my garland until then, because it dries out pretty quickly. I'll dig around in photobucket and see if I can find an old picture.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I added a bunch of holly to hang down from the crystal ball at the bottom. Too much?

Yes, porkandhan, I'm careful about hanging real greens on my chandelier from experience with pine needles falling to the bottom of the beaded basket. Reaching through the crystal strands to try and clean them out while on a 8' ladder is tricky. I think there are still pine needles in there from 30yrs. ago - the last time I tried that. This the first year I've put real holly around it. And yes, you keep the top and bottom dimmers on low unless you want a flaming xmas pudding hanging from your ceiling.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• porkandham
    11 years ago

LOL, no flames at Christmas dinner, please!

What if you did the greenery at the very top and bottom and left off everything in the middle? Your chandlier is beautiful and makes such a statement on its own, that it doesn't need very much.

This is the only one I could find, and you can only just barely see the chandelier. Sometimes I add red berries to it. Please excuse all of the toys/gifts on the table. I took this picture last year to show my mother the obscene amount of stuff my DS received at his 5th birthday party.

Here is picture that shows the entire chandelier. Looking at the these pictures reminds me that I need to get a poinsettia for the plant stand before my party!

This post was edited by porkandham on Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 13:38

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Like the white pine on your chandelier. Very pretty. And wow - that's one great birthday haul! :)

I remember seeing old photographs and vintage illustrations in magazines of garlands of pine draped from the top (or bottom) of a chandelier to all four corners of the room. I always wanted to try that just for the heck of it but it would take scaffolding for me to reach the corners of my room; and how would one attach the ends of the garlands there? Now I'll have to Google for old photos to see of what I speak.

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

Here's mine, just some leftover cedar garland and a few ornaments.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

Ours from last year. Did the same thing this year.

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

Just did mine today, wasn't sure if I wanted to bother, but I decided to just go ahead and do it. :P

Did it in silver this year, last year I did it in gold, which is posted in the 2012 Decorations thread. I think I like last years colors better.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Is mine too small to decorate for Christmas?

• roarah
    11 years ago

my six year old loves to do the christmas decorating herself so I keep it very simple. I am loving all of your fresh greens! Lovely!

This post was edited by roarah on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 11:26

• User
    11 years ago

Here's a few through the yrs.

• igloochic
    11 years ago

Nothing is too small to decorate for christmas (says the girl with ten trees LOL). My DS and DH try to keep moving while I'm decorating so they won't end up with glitter and a few bows on them....

I do most of my main floor chandeliers. Though I don't trust their wiring (done in the 60s likely) so I don't use live bows. I try to stick with ornaments and some gorgeous bead netting I picked up a few years ago.

I am working on that floor now but DS stayed home from school and I personally like to have his help ummmmm well when there's only one thing left to do (like one ornament LOL) so today I won't be doing the chandeliers heh heh Maybe tomorrow...but surely by the end of the week. I might even be successful posting pics since the new ipad has a camara (anyone know how to do that?)

• porkandham
    11 years ago

So it turns out I'm hosting my bunco Christmas party tomorrow night. (The girl who was supposed to host's daughter is sick.) I put up my garland today, but I'm wondering if it looks too heavy. I put both cedar and white pine up, but I can take the pine off, if it's too much. What you y'all think?

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Don't light the candles!:)

I like the idea of the boughs on the chandeliers. I have some ornaments hanging from it now but it looks a little unfinished so I'll try some boughs.

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

This is mine from last year. I haven't gotten to the dining room decorating as yet, but will probably do the same thing this year.
    Lynn

Lynn

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Igloochic! yay! It has been too long! No chandelier decorating here, yet.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I dressed my chandelier also. Still worked on lower bow which mixes the gold sheer wire ribbon with a small bit of black satin ribbon.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I did a more playful version of Chijim's idea in my breakfast room.
    {{!gwi}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Everyone's chandeliers look so elegant. I walk into my library, look up at mine, and chuckle to myself. Well, I'm not dragging the ladder back out to get up there until after Christmas. :)

• Sandy1963
    11 years ago

Chijim, and Fun2BHere, where did you get your plaid shades? Those are so cute ! I'd love to find some for next year.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

The ones I used are widely available, but here's one link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayfair

• User
    11 years ago

Mine are Dept. 56 and they came w/detachable matching bows. I bought them 20 or so yrs ago on an great after Christmas clearance sale. Buying 12 at reg price was way out of my budget--still wouldn't want to do it today.

What you could do if you want to save some money is buy the self adhesive lamp shade kit--JoAnn's,Hobby Lobby, and cover with plaid fabric or scrapbook paper.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Just got done this afternoon:

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Classy!