Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dahoov2

Towels and sheets

dahoov2
9 years ago

I'm redoing my bedroom and getting a new King bed so I need sheets etc. I am also adding a new master bath.

Looking for: Turkish or 100% Egyptian cotton FLUFFIEST 700-900g bath SHEETS I can get. Anyone know where I can find these? Looking for an hour now. I see bath towels but not the larger sheets.

Also looking for something "different" in a sheet. I have had for 35 years now plain sheets. Is there anything with a design in it that's not just plain or striped? LOL I am particular on sheets and towels. I will buy inexpensive everything else but to me, you don't skimp on sheets and towels. COMFORT is where it's at. So I want 600-800 100% Egyptian cotton on this. I see all the time these 1000TC sheets which are GARBAGE. THIN. No sateen or Pima. I see patterns aren't in, but something a little pattern would be nice!

Comments (150)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

SJ, I agree that the names make it confusing. My sheets are very soft. Each time I snuggle into my sheets I am thankful to have the perfect bed at last. When you find something that works it just feels right. I have truly spent a small fortune in the pursuit of the perfect sheets. Each time I ordered something different I knew that I had to keep looking. Now that I have found RL I am totally content. Natural linen will last my lifetime and way beyond. One of the biggest benefits that I noticed is I don't get that horrible too hot pillow syndrome that I did before. I really shuddered at the thought of spending so much on sheets but it was a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to what I had already spent.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ditto what HK said.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Hopefully, I'll be able to add "ditto"! (And HK, I have the too hot pillow syndrome, the too hot blanket syndrome, the too hot mattress syndrome...and have had them for nearly 15 years :-(. )

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah the bath sheets I ordered are too thin. They are fully packaged and say 600 GSM but I doubt it
    The brand is "Superior" 100% Egyptian cotton. This is the hazard of buying online. You can't feel them. However, with that said, if you go into most stores, you aren't seeing high end towels mostly so it's tough.

The Hotelier towels feel soft and thicker. So I'm pleased with that purchase.

What I'm going to do now is create an Excel file with quality stuff I buy and like and where I got them and how much. This way, if I need to go back for more, I know what to expect.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

dahoov, are you referring to the ones you got from Overstock? Just want to keep it straight (I might need my own spreadsheet - not just with what I buy that I like, but with what I and everyone else buys that they DON'T like :-) )

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the overstock - Superior is the brand I think. No likey these so much. Thinner than 650 GSM should be. But they are nice and large and will do the job. But if you're looking for thick, that's not the way to go!

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and one more thing. So I went into my linen cabinet and found the best towel I like. I would buy those again but they are more pricey now than before. They are "Linum" brand towels. I am not sure where I bought them. probably Amazon. I find that Amazon and Ebay is an outlet for these stores... they sell through them. Anyhow, I got them at probably half the price they are on the site now. Linumhome.com or linumtowels.com Mine are 100% cotton and Turkish towels, made in Turkey. They are thick, absorbent and until I did the wrong thing to them, really nice and fluffy. I think it was my fault for bleaching them that made them more matted. But I'd totally recommend those. I use them daily and they are the first I grab. I have four of them. Only wish I'd of gotten bath sheets instead of plain bath towels. My chest is rather large and... well, it goes around me but barely. ;)If I bend over too much.......... lol

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Dahoov, glad you like the Hotelier. What color did you get? I bought beautiful bath towels for my DGs from Frontgate. They are so thick and fluffy that they take up a lot of linen closet space. I won't buy them for myself though because they aren't at all absorbent. I love the Hoteliers though they are a good bit thinner they are very absorbent.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Can't stand a non-absorbent towel (don't they exist to absorb?)!

We love our Christy brand towels, but they're the wrong color post-remodel. We bought some extra bath sheets for when we have guests (Elizabeth Arden, from BBB). They absorb fine, but the trim is too wide and hits my legs in just the wrong spot.

I think I'll take a peek at these others, since they no longer sell the Christy at Bloomingdales.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Dahoov, did you see the 60% off promotion running on linum?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

OMG, the Linum bath sheets are $115! The herringbone ones anyway.

There is a lot of poofing and puffing going on in manufacturing to make things like puffy and luxurious..like towels. But they make them with synthetics, so they don't absorb water, the whole point of a towel. I have friends who have those towels. they look soft and fat and great, but they don't absorb a drop. they're awful.

No, once again, 100% cotton or linen towels are the way to go.

A bit of a sidetrack, but a great tip: Another area where I've noticed, for a few years now, where there is poofing and puffing up going on is with toilet paper. Not only are they puffing rolls up with air to make them seem bigger and softer, they're shrinking the size of the sheets. Some rolls actually look pretty close to being useable in your adding machine.

And you pay a fortune for this garbage at the market and hav to haul it homeâ¦Ugh.

I now buy my TP by the case and have it shipped to my house. 96 rolls to a case; 500 sheets to a roll; 2-ply; WAY cheaper than the stuff in the market; you're not constantly hauling it home along with the other groceries - you have a great inventory, and it's the only way to get "real" rolls of toilet paper like they used to be. You have to read carefully to make sure of what you're ordering, but it's getting very hard to find rolls now that are the full size, namely 4.5 x4.5. Only three exist, far as i know. The two best are Feathersoft and Windsoft. My first order was Windsoft. Pretty decent TP, but the most expensive. Then I got a case of some kind of "Green" something or other. Terrible. Half of it stayed "behind" (pun intended); I recently got my new case of Feathersoft. Best of the bunch in quality and price. I highly recommend it. The case of 96 cost me $68, including shipping. The TP itself actually was only 44.

I'm telling you, getting your TP online is the way to go. I got it at Webstaurantstore.com (put THAt in your book, sj!).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

OMG, the Linum bath sheets are $115! The herringbone ones anyway.

But with the code "WELCOME", they're 60% off right now!

I'm going to try that toilet-paper-shipped-to-me thing. It's one of those things where I want the good stuff, but can't stand paying for it (I don't mind paying for good stuff that lasts, but good stuff that doesn't last, not so much).

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay ... I got the white ones. I'm saving them for my new bath which I plan to be white carrara marble tile and slate grey flooring. I plan to do a very pale blue/grey on the wall But who knows if I'll change that or not. So all towels will be those colors.

so SJHockeyfan... I did see some 60% off but the towels didn't seem to be on there. I'm good with ones I got FOR NOW. I might buy two more towels in blue; probably the linum ones.

Tibbrx..... yep, micro towels and such don't seem to absorb. I have a couple dish towels and HATE them. I usually like the cheesecloth ones or terry ones. I got my Linum ones waaaay cheaper. I would not pay that much for a towel. I'm a deal shopper. I'll search for a week till I find a deal...

You're onto TP and I'm into pillow covers today. LOL I was researching those and decided to go cheaper. There's so many brands and I don't want ones that make noise. I like the quilted ones that are thick but forget that, they are expensive. So I'm settling for a reseller clearance allersoft or someting like that. I'm a huge dust mite freaker-outer. I don't like bugs. I freak out sooo much. So onto those today and then I'll be wanting help on how to pick out a good blanket that's soft, thinner so that I can be warm in winter and not have to change it out for summer. Any clues on that?

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

http://www.linumtowels.com/index.php/towels/terry-towels/4-piece-bath-towel-set.html#.VJNsvBBdWIo I THINK that's the towels I have. With the 60% off and free shipping, I think it's 48 dollars for four towels. That's a decent deal I think. Those bath sheets seem over-priced. They'd still be 46.00 each after discount. To me they should be about 30 dollars or so. Just my opinion.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SJ, I think you'll be very glad you did. There is no down side only up. I say, WIPE the slate clean, and start anew, by ordering TP by case. Take the PLUNGE! Whether it's for the NUMBER ONE reason, better bang for your buck, or the NUMBER TWO reason, convenience, it's time to write a Dear JOHN letter to the supermarket toilet papers, and say, "I am now FLUSH with toilet paper as it should be! What a WASTE you were! I'm going to FLUSH you right out of my life forever!"

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

From reading an older thread some time ago on GW I ordered the highly recommended Vera Wang towels from Kohl's and have to say I really like them. The tag says Simply Vera, Pure Luxury 100% cotton UPC# 400917547672 if that helps. As I recall they came in bath sheet size and all other sizes. I have several in white. I love white towels for some reason! They are holding up well and get quite a workout around here.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Gr8day. It's great to find good towels! I am now convinced that the key to good towels is 100% cotton or linen.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Tib, I just ordered a case of the Feathersoft. The case of 96 was $38.99 and about $22 in shipping. I am having it shipped to my business.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

OMG, HK, you are gonna love it and are going to be taking people on tours of your house, which will now include your fabulous TP inventory! Btw, don't let the name fool you: "Feathersoft" toilet paper is NOT feather soft, like Charmin or something, but it's also not cardboard. IMO, it's perfect. My motto: "It's how TP used to be!"

AT any rate, for $60, you got 96 REAL rolls of 2-ply TP, 500 sheets per roll. .62/roll. GREAT deal, and you don't have to haul it home, constantly run out to buy moreâ¦it really is the way to get TP now.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SJ, link below is to the sheets I bought and the place from which I bought them. I really wanted 100% cotton. The cotton is very nice, percale, cool, and the sheets are HUGE and can be tucked under al four sides of my deep-pocket mattress. They're a great sheet for summer as they are cool and breathe and are thinâ¦not paper thin, but they are thin. I absolutely would, and do, sleep under them myself in the summer. I pulled one out and am once again impressed. I would call them a good "staple" cotton sheet, similar to vintage cotton sheets, but not a 'luxury' sheet.

However, for $240 for 12, at $20/sheet - all 100% organic cotton, I don't think you can go wrong. They come in cases of 12.

In addition, this place has free shipping for over $250, I think it is, so I ordered three jugs of All Clear detergent, and what is interesting is that ALL is NOTHING like the ALL in retail stores. It comes in entirely different jugs, and it smells REALLY badâ¦but it cleans a LOT better than the ALL from supermarkets (and does NOT leave that really bad smell on clothes! Lol). It's weird, but this is the ALL I want again when I run out!

Don't know if this helps, but here is a pic of MY actual sheet from them. The three-inch hem is the top, and notice the green thread on the bottom (hence the name), making it clear for the owner that it is a queen.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1888 Mills Green Threads Flat Sheet

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

H-K, where did you find that price on the Feathersoft?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

SJ it is on the site that Tib recommended. We go through huge amounts of TP between my business and the three bathrooms at home so the paper seemed to be a no brainer.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I've always been a "Charmin" or "Northern" devotee, but really, the price of tp makes me gag. I'm going to give this a try. (shipping came out higher for me that for you h-k, I suppose its based on distance).

Tib, have you actually calculated how much less expensive this is than supermarket-bought tp (on a per-square basis?)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SJ, the Feathersoft TP is 500 sheets/roll, so @ .62/roll.

Charmin, for example, on the site shop let.com, is $5.81 for a package of four rolls, so $1.45/rollâ¦.but in addition, there are only 200 sheets on a roll of the Charmin.

So you can see what I mean, what an enormous ripoff retail TP has become.

.67 for a roll with 500 sheets or $1.45 for a roll with 200 sheets.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Thanks for doing the math! (and I SOOOO agree.... a "ripoff" ha ha)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And believe me, you'll also notice that you're no longer changing the roll of TP every 15 minutes. How they get away with this stuffâ¦.aargh. And while it isn't the squishy soft that Carmin and Northern are, I think you'll be fine with it. Whatever..it works! Lol.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What does that come out to? (I'm terrible at math)â¦

a 500-sheet roll of the Charmin would cost $3.62/roll, or $3 MORE per roll than the Feathersoft. And how many rolls of TP do you go through in a year? Or, add $300 to that case of 96 rolls of Feathersoft! Incredible, isn't it?

You just saved yourself a good chunk of change.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think I'll spend it on luxury linens!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

There you go SJ, your RLs are paid for. The difference in shipping may be because I am having it shipped to a commercial address rather than a residential address. Commercial is less expensive.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So this is not on the same subject but when I started this post, I was going to ask opinions on a number of things. I want nice stuff for my new addition. So I started with towels and sheets and nice bedding set (I got a Lenox French Perle King set). Now I'm onto pillows, blankets, pillow covers...

Aside from that, I've been buying stuff for my laundry room. I just got the BEST rug! It's a really great quality for the low price I paid for it. Here's how I decorate: Every room I am a traditional style/transitional style girl. But I like to do ONE at least "my own" item, meaning I make something. I also add in every room ONE item that is whimsical. Today for my laundry room, it's these runner (which looks 5x better in person). They have bees on them. I don't know if all their rugs are decent quality, but I was impressed enough... I only paid 60 dollars each for two of them. Safavieh is the company.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started the laundry room decor with this little basket from Pottery Barn kids... I wanted it for my "lost socks" and remote for my TV. I plan to display it on the counter. I'll also have some glass jars and an old sleeve ironing board. I bought the same fabric from Pottery Barn kids to recover the sleeve ironing board (to match each other). I think the runner will be a nice compliment to them. Now I need to decide on an ironing board cover. I can't sew... so have to buy one. Any ideas on what color? My cabinets with either be white or antique white. Color of the walls is probably gonna be close to Benjamin Moore sea salt.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started the laundry room decor with this little basket from Pottery Barn kids... I wanted it for my "lost socks" and remote for my TV. I plan to display it on the counter. I'll also have some glass jars and an old sleeve ironing board. I bought the same fabric from Pottery Barn kids to recover the sleeve ironing board (to match each other). I think the runner will be a nice compliment to them. Now I need to decide on an ironing board cover. I can't sew... so have to buy one. Any ideas on what color? My cabinets with either be white or antique white. Color of the walls is probably gonna be close to Benjamin Moore sea salt.

{{gwi:2141104}}

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Think you mean Sherwin Williams Sea Salt?

LOVE the runner! Love it. Basket for lost socks is a great idea.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I just looked them up. BM has like three different samples from different places called sea salt. They both have them. The one I am looking at is more a pale green, greyed down a little still bright. It's not the color of mucky celery like I see on one of the BM chips! But you're right; here's more the way I'm leaning....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My broker's bedroom is done in SW Sea Salt. She absolutely LOVES it, and it's a very cheery, airy color and will be great in a laundry room. Hopefully you have windows in there?

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll have two windows and a full glass French doors in there.... I will have darker grey on the floors. I'm considering using same tile in the bathroom and there and possibly in a half bath that's not part of the renovations (lol so the contractor and my hubby think). I think I want grey floors because I'm getting too old to chase dust bunnies all day....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh wow. The Sea Salt will be gorgeous.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fingers crossed! I can't wait. I've planned it out and they've not even STARTED yet. It's too cold to... I've started a Weebly blog of every purchase/price and if I like it or not. Keep track of what I'm spending... LOL

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You're smart. But it's gonna be ugly to look at when it's all tallied! Lol.

• dahoov2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, it's already very ugly! Last time I did the kitchen remodel, it was on budget... till the accessories. Things like a new toaster, coffee pot, can opener, light figure, faucet, towels and counter decor added up to a lot more than I expected. When most people budget their remodeling, they do the tile/floor, paint, fixtures, cabinets etc. They forget about the decor stuff.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm baaaack. I ended up getting these vintage-wash linen sheets from Restoration Hardware because my DH did not want the white or natural that are the only choices Tricia offers on Rough Linen. We received them yesterday and I love them. They may not wear as well, but they were also a lot less expensive. After the post-Xmas sale, I ended up paying $175 for a king set (fitted sheet, flat sheet and 2 king pillowcases). They feel so good to me (he says he's indifferent regarding the feel), although they didn't completely alleviate the heat (I really don't think anything would). They also look great and fit the bed (which is charcoal grey upholstered) well.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness SJ, I don't know how I missed your post but your sheets look fabulous! It's hard to explain how wonderful a linen sheet feels isn't it?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

So glad you like them. They are a lovely color. I just changed the bed today (totally unexpected school closing due to cold weather-I actually didn't find out until I got to school! Never occurred to me to check for closing). Every time I put my linen sheets on the bed, I feel thoroughly indulged. ð love these sheets.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Me too Cyn! I can't imagine anything but linen from here on!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

You didn't miss anything holly-kay --- I just got the sheets yesterday, and posted today!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

yay for linen!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yay for linen and yay for Violet, because of you I had to try linen!

SJ I am so happy you found the linen color that works for you.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Glad to make a convert!

Just placed my second Rough Linen order -- another king sized sheet and a bolster. Excited!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 14:35

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Yummy! Second night on linen sheets and I'm so happy. I like to move my feet around on them just to feel them!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ha! I know that feeling, sj!

Violet, I am planning to place my next order soon, too. The anticipation is growing.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!