Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborahnj_gw

Update - GR - TV Dilemna - PICS

deborahnj
16 years ago

Well I have some good news and bad news. If you recall I have been searching for forever for a piece for my GR to house the TV. I at one point decided to try and find a french country armoire similar to Teeda's. I also in the interim fell in love with an entertainment center made by Maitland Smith and was seriously considering purchasing it. See link attached.

Well the bad news is that I'm not going to get either piece above. My DS recently informed us that he really wants to spend his sophomore year in China attending a university there so we are going to put the approximately $3300 we were going to spend towards helping our DS achieve his goal.

The good news is that yesterday we were trolling Sofa Express since the stores are going out of business and found this credenza for a grand total of $400. While it is not my dream piece, it will do for now for the next several years and can always be re-purposed waaay down the line when we can get what we really want.

Right now the credenza is sitting in the garage until my DS returns from Jersey next Wednesday but I wanted to give you guys a sneak peak. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures but it is cold in the garage and I couldn't stop shaking. I promise to post better pictures once we get it set up in the GR. I want to wait and see how it looks after we set the flat screen on it. If we don't like it that way, then we are going to have the flat screen mounted to the wall.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who chimed in on my previous threads, I really appreciated it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Maitland-Smith Media Storage

Comments (13)

• teacats
    16 years ago

I think that is a wonderful TV stand -- just lovely for the money! An excellent find! Very well done! :)

And your DS (and his future career and resume) will certainly benefit from a year in China -- how exciting!!! :)

• skypathway
    16 years ago

Wow, wow and wow. First wow if for helping your son achieve a very special dream, second wow is for how lucky you were to find such a nice piece that is so versatile that you can use it elsewhere and the last wow if for that Maitland-Smith cabinet which can wait a few years.

Sky

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Deborahnj,

Great find. It will look great in your room (the one with the fab plaid silk drapes?)

Congrats to your son for his year of studies abroad. You/he will never regret it!!

Smiles:)

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tea, Sky and Johnatemp, thank you!! I can't wait to get the piece in the GR and I'm really glad that we lucked out on this credenza.

Johnatemp, yep this is going in the room with the plaid silk drapes.

Most of all, I am so very proud of my DS. He has adjusted so well to his first quarter at college and all he talks about is getting into the international exchange program next year! He just missed the Dean's list and got himself a job working at the dorm desk. This in spite of us telling him that he didn't need to work his first year because we wanted him to focus on his studies. He is spending his break in NY working at his old job at the UPS store. I just beam everytime I think about him.

Finally, I luv, luv, luv the Maitland Smith piece but everything in good time. I got a great bargain yesterday and i'm happy.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Deborah, I love that cabinet and think it will look great in your room. Is it a black painted finish with stained top (couldn't really tell on me monitor)? I ask because I have a somewhat similar style cabinet in my family room that I am now considering painting black! I love your taste!

I admire your priorities. Best wishes to your son. He sounds like a great kid.

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teeda, once again luv your new settee and as always the armoire. Seeing the armoire on your other thread, I wavered a bit but I'm ok. LOL The cabinet is painted black and gold with a stained wooden top. The wood finish is similar in tone to the end tables in my GR. I will go outside and see if I can get a better picture with the garage door open. I would also love to see your cabinet in the FR.

Thanks for the good wishes for DS!

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teeda, I'm not sure these are much better. If not I will definitely take pictures once we get the cabinet inside.
    {{!gwi}}

Top of cabinet:
    {{!gwi}}

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Oh yes, I really do love that black finish! Everytime I see a picture of a piece with the black/stained/gold finish I have such an urge to paint mine. Here's a photo--I posted a while ago for some painting advice and it was suggested that I leave it alone and live with it a while. I recently purchased the mirror (Tuesday Morning) and have tried different accessories, but I still think it needs paint. This was a Craig's List find, and it's really heavy and well made, but it's got that old 70's/early 80's finish which is heavy and too glossy for my taste. The top is especially in need of something--it's scratched and has some dings. Les has suggested a marble top (thanks, Les!)--now I'm revisiting that thought--maybe granite. I don't know. But yours I love!

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teeda, yours is almost exactly like mine. I like it the way it is but I can see it black as well. Oy vey! I love it with the mirror from Tuesday Morning and at least from the picture, it looks just as current as my black piece. Ditto for the accessories. I don't know if this helps with your decision or not but if I had seen this piece as is, I would have purchased it and I would not have painted it. Having said that, I opted for black to break up all the similar wood in my GR which adjoins the kitchen area.

BTW, I can't believe you found that mirror at Tuesday Morning. It is gorgeous!! You have such excellent taste and luck with Craigslist!!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

That's awesome! I just saw a similar cabinet but smaller at Costco and I almost bought it today. It's from Hooker. I love the painted wood. So pretty!

Great find!

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

deborahnj, I love the new TV stand you bought that is a gorgeous piece of furniture that also has great storage potential.

Your son will remember this and so will his resume of the wonderful experience he will have in China.

Teeda, I love your console table with the adorable lamps and that great mirror. What wonderful finds you purchased and made stunning having them come to life.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Thanks Deborah and Lynn. Deborah, I was thrilled when I found the mirror at Tuesday Morning. It was a couple weeks before Christmas. I have been trying to figure out what to put on that odd wall almost since I moved into this house! The mirror really makes the room--the curve softens the many angles created by multiple doorways and windows. Do you have a Tuesday Morning near you? It's been really hit or miss for me, but I do really like their wall decor, pillows and bedding.

Anyhow, can't to see a picture of your new console once it's in the room. I think it will be great--I love that room!

Happy New Year!

• deborahnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Teeda, there is a Tuesday Morning near me but it will not be open until January 14th. Is that typical?

We moved the cabinet into the GR yesterday and I've taken several pictures but they are blurry so after dinner, I'm going to try again. As I was scrolling down to do my update, I looked at your cabinet again and the whole scape is just stunning! I don't know that I would change.

BTW, I'm also eyeing your mirror because I ordered this table for my foyer and now I'm looking for something to go over it. Here it is at Horchow although I didn't order from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Constance Console