Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmbeeer

Mmmbeeer's Dollhouse

Mmmbeeer
9 years ago

A couple of very nice posters mentioned starting a thread of pictures of some rooms in my dollhouse. So if you're rolling your eyes and wondering why a 51 year old spends time arranging and rearranging a home she can't even live in--by all means, click by ;-)

I enjoy making food (virtually all the food is something I've made from FIMO), accessories like potholders, plants, kitchen knives/utensils, shelves, some smaller furniture from kits, drapes, rugs, books etc.

I love that I can switch our furniture or repurpose or set up a whole new table so easily, which is part of the appeal of teeny tiny things. The constant "earthquakes", though, can be frustrating when trying to arrange.

Thank you to WMA89, Lynn, mtnrdredux,Fun2BHere, Alex9179, and Newhomebuilder for your really sweet comments on the other thread!

Here's a few pics:

Dollhouse Living Room
{{gwi:2141079}}

Dollhouse Bedroom
{{gwi:2141080}}

Interior of the dollhouse in my dollhouse
{{gwi:2141081}}

Cluttered dollhouse kitchen
{{gwi:2141082}}

Summer Lunch
{{gwi:2141083}}

Thanksgiving Fixin's
{{gwi:2141084}}

Carving Pumpkins
{{gwi:2141085}}

Decorating for Christmas and having a snack
{{gwi:2141086}}

Making Chocolate Chip cookies:
{{gwi:2141087}}

Comments (48)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

That is AMAZING. I especially love the pumpkin carving!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

How cool! That is amazing. I especially love the dollhouse within the dollhouse. I started a dollhouse about 15 years ago but then ran out of steam. My DH wanted to electrify it and that made it all come to a screeching halt. This may just be the push I need to complete it.

• lovemrmewey
    9 years ago

Love your dollhouse!

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! I always loved dollhouses, and loved playing with my dollhouse when I was younger. I would have swooned to have a dollhouse as wonderful as yours!

Enjoy it! :)

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, they are wonderful!!! And you are incredibly talented, Mmmbeer! I can only begin to appreciate the work and vision that went into each piece and each room. I absolutely love every photo and I will be back over and over again to look at them. Forgive me, I'm gushing but I really am blown away by the detail . . . and enjoying every minute of it. Please feel free to post more pics if you ever have more to share with us. And, thanks for taking the time.
    Lynn

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

This is fantastic! I like watching the TV show Charmed and I have always thought it was so cool that they had a dollhouse replica of their own manor. Some people love decorating and some people like building models - seems like you've combined the two into a cool hobby. Your dollhouse is really stunning and I cannot get over that you MAKE the food! It's so realistic. Thanks for sharing.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

OMG that has to be so difficult! I'd feel like a bull in a china shop trying to arrange such tiny things.

You said you make the food from FIMO? What is that?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Nevermind! I was so impressed, I had to Google FIMO. And now and I am even more impressed. You must have amazing eyesight and a very steady hand.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Thank you soooooooooo much for posting more pictures. You are really talented and I'm enjoying the home tour. The scale on the items you've made is perfect. You should have your own Etsy shop, although it would probably be hard to get people to pay enough per item to cover your time for such painstaking work.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I feel like I could get lost for hours and hours in those rooms. The detail is astounding. You can't take your eyes off it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Fantastic! Thank you for posting it.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Awesome! Is it possible to take some pics of your food creations near a household item (like a penny) so we can appreciate the scale? You are very talented.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

The detail is incredible. Do you place things with tweezers?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I am so glad you started this seperate thread. I, too, find your talent Amazing!

Is there a competition for dollhouse furnishing? You deserve a Gold medal.

Thanks for sharing.

ML

• teeda
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mmmbeeer, for this thread. As others have said, I could study these rooms for hours! I do the same thing when I come across a dollhouse display in a museum--just can't tear myself away. Yours is one of the most detailed and appealing that I have ever seen--I feel like I just want to move into that house!

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! It is truly a masterpiece.

My mom gave me the dollhouse that my grandfather made for her when she was three. It isn't as grand as yours. He made everything by hand including the kitchen cupboards, toilet, sink, fireplace, and all the furnishings. Unfortunately my nieces had beat it up badly and all of the furnishings are gone. Since it wasn't from a kit, it is not to scale with current pieces offered so I built tables, chairs, including wing chairs, bed and bedding, curtains and used porcelain clay to make the dishes. Like you I LOVE doing this! I could see how I could become obsessed with it, but I want my grandchildren to play with it without me cringing. I still love rearranging things. And my dog ate some of the small tables that I made so I remade those.

I totally appreciate the effort that it took to make your doll house into the show home that it is. What fun you must have!
    Diane

• kitchentime
    9 years ago

I love it! Thanks for sharing!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Your doll house is wonderful, I find miniatures fascinating and what a great job you've done.

• debbie_ms
    9 years ago

WOW!!! I just love your doll house. You are so talented. I've been wanting to make my granddaughter a home-made doll house. I've done some internet research and they showed making them out of cardboard boxes and making furniture out of recycled material. I have never seen anything like this before. My granddaughter would have a fit over this. Thank-you for sharing. Debbie

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I love dollhouses & tiny things! At Christmas time, I always wish I had a daughter so I could buy her a dollhouse.

Yours is amazing! Love the decorating and level of detail. You are very talented. Thank you for showing the pics. I'd love to see more!

• Mmmbeeer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just wanted to say that I am blown away at all the thoughtful, encouraging comments! I read every post and couldn't believe how you all took the time to write something so special and personalized. Thank you!

To answer some questions:

Yes, I do have to use a tweezers sometimes to work on the foods especially. My husband helped out a lot by making sure he set up some good lighting for me.

Scale: Fun2BHere and deee mentioned this. My houses are 1" scale. But I have many play scale accessories (similar to Barbie doll sized) that I have purchased (they are cheaper) and people have given me. I make my foods somewhere in between to try to fit with both. Sometimes I'm just like, eh, good enough--I'm sick of this project! When you look closely you can see that in the photos. I have a pic with a penny for scale that I'll post.

Lynn: I posted some extra photos on Photobucket. If I'm doing this right, you can see them when you click on one of the pics in this thread to enlarge it. On my computer, at least, it will show all the pictures in the album.

powermuffin: If I didn't know better, you were my own Mother! Her Dad (my Grandpa) build her a dollhouse and play scale furniture when she was little and her niece didn't know any better and ruined it. It was because of the stories she told that I decided to build her own dollhouse and make some accessories for it. Now she has THREE. And the other two are WAY bigger than the one I built her! I can totally appreciate that you want your Grandchildren to have a dollhouse they can play in. Without you "hovering" to make sure they are "playing right' ;-) Makes total sense to me!

Here is the penny/food pic for scale:

{{gwi:2141088}}

• Mmmbeeer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is just for fun and some of you who love minis may remember Phoebe's dollhouse on Friends. Sometimes, I look at my dollhouse and wish I'd have thought of Phoebe's. Lol! Let's see if this link works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ_6QgQpFvU&list=RDwJ_6QgQpFvU

• texanjana
    9 years ago

That is truly amazing, and so fun to see more pics. Thank you so much for sharing. I'll bet you get many hours of enjoyment from it.

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

WOW I am amazed. LOVE the cluttered kitchen!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the glimpses of your amazing creations. I can't stop looking at them.
    I was just at the Museum of fine Arts in Boston to view the Wyeth exhibit when I noticed a doll house behind glass and the info said it came from Andrew's home and the promoter of the exhibit said "we have to have this too" It was one large (actually tiny to scale) dining room with eight people sitting at a table and conversing and, upon closer inspection, the people were Andrew Wyeth, Jamie Wyeth, Andy Warhol, Truman Capote etc. I was mesmerized. All done by an artist friend of Wyeth's.
    I've always loved miniatures and yours is superb. Love to see more.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

This is so adorable! I see doll houses at the county fair, but I've never seen one with as much attention to detail as yours. You could take 1st prize easily. It's so well done, I can imagine walking through it. I also looked up FIMO and it looks like that clay/dough would be fun to play around with.

I like your pretty white kitchen, and all that food is amazing. There's no guessing what something is because it's all very clear and detailed. Thanks for sharing such a spectacular mini version of a beautiful home.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Like others have said, I can't stop looking at the pictures.
    All the details are works of art, inside works of art, inside a work of art...!
    It's easy to imagine living there.
    It's really captivating!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

You all need to click on one of Mmmbeeer's posted pics here to be taken to her Photobucket album. There are many more pics there. Absolutely wonderful, Mmmbeeer! Thank you so very much for sharing your incredibly beautiful creations with us. My daughter will be home from college this weekend and I can't wait to share these with her, too.
    Lynn

• eastautumn
    9 years ago

This dollhouse and all of its furnishings and accessories are amazing! I grew up just outside of DC and we'd visit the Smithsonian museums often. My favorite exhibit was the 4-story dollhouse. Your dollhouse is just as mesmerizing.

• woodie
    9 years ago

You're only a 51 year old little girl, I am a 66 year old little girl who also plays with her dollhouse! Yours is unbelieveably beautiful and I haven't yet looked at your other pictures, but I sure will. I just need to get into the kitchen to get dinner on now. Your handmade food is incredible! And your dollhouse within a dollhouse is amazing! I'm so excited!

My DH made a dollhouse (from a kit) and we painted it the color of our own home and its actually quite similar to our home - it is a farmhouse and although our home is really a colonial style with stained shakes but we have the same white front porch and its not all that dissimilar. Then we chose the wallpapers and some carpet and some hardwood floors and oriental rugs fairly similar to our own home, with a little decorating leeway in places. Furnishing it took a few couple of years and lot of dollars LOL. Now that we have retired and sold our family home, I am so thrilled to have this dollhouse in a special nook in the living room in our retirement condo. I am so disappointed that for our first Christmas here, I didn't find the dollhouse Christmas decorations - they're still up north in a box. Dang.

I look forward to looking at the rest of your pictures - thanks so much for sharing and please keep posting them!

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Hello all, I'm a newbie here and would look in time again here....would love to participate in the future...
    Mmmbeeer's- I couldn't help but gasp when I saw this magical doll house you've built! How utterly gorgeous! I can't imagine the hours of dedication and love you've put into this. I think it should be in a museum somewhere so people can get to admire and drool over it :-) Thanks for sharing!

• marcolo
    9 years ago

This needs to be in a museum. And highlighted on a TLC or HGTV program. No joke. You are incredibly talented.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Your dollhouse is amazing! You must have good eyes and steady hands. It's so imaginative and fun. Thank you so much for sharing. Can't wait to look at the other photos!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

This is simply unbelievable! I love the pot in the sink in the "cluttered kitchen" and I just love it all. What patience you must have.

• woodie
    9 years ago

I've seen your other pictures but I would love to see any more that you would care to share. I can only repeat all of the wonderful comments above! I think I'll go to sleep dreaming of little tiny things and little tiny people that inhabit them (at night, when the lights are out, I presume). Thank you Mmmbeeer :)

• jellyben
    9 years ago

I love this! Reminds me of my dollhouse when I was a little girl. Of course it was not nearly as fabulous as yours! Love the mini dollhouse.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Wow, your work is just incredible, especially on the tiny details of the tiny details. Every doll's house should have a doll's house.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

You do really outstanding work!! Do you have any photos of the exterior? How long have you been doing this?

It's good to know that GW-ers are so positive and receptive to this. I actually got on to GW today to look at paint colors for a dollhouse that I'm about to start.

Last year I renovated my childhood dollhouse, and now I'm hooked, with one kit starting and another I just bought waiting in the wings. I didn't share any pics at the time because I was afraid everyone would think it was weird.

I've made some of my own minis, but nothing nearly as nice as what you do. I really enjoy the tiny carpentry and woodworking, though. I also find myself studying architecture and history, particularly for the next house, so even the planning is a lot of fun.

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

I found the other thread!! Fabulous Christmas minis!! I love the card garland! I keep going back and looking at all of your photos, and I'm just amazed at your work. And I had to LOL at the comment that your parents created a monster, because I totally get that, too!

• Mmmbeeer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Franksmom: I know, I was surprised people were so receptive as well :-) I posted on a Christmas decorations thread first because even though we don't go all out for our "real" home anymore, it's still fun to do it for a tiny house ;-).

I guess it is kind of "weird" but I love this quote from woodie2 (above): "You're only a 51 year old little girl, I am a 66 year old little girl who also plays with her dollhouse!" I love it! And so, of course, I enjoy hearing about other people's mini projects. I love that you can relate to the mini monster! Lol

This post was edited by Mmmbeeer on Sat, Dec 13, 14 at 20:18

• jshore
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing dollhouse! The kitchen is my favorite, it's perfect. I clicked through to photo bucket and was able to see the other photos, really enjoyed them!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My grandmother built and furnished a "castle" dollhouse for my younger sister. I loved that. When I was little, I turned jewelry and shoe boxes into dollhouses. I remember making a pillow and cover to turn a penny into a round bed. And the most fun in decorating a gingerbread house is turning candy into imaginative things. Like the birdbath with a red cardinal. I don't have a dollhouse, but I get it. I love the details, especially in the kitchen (of course).

• alex9179
    9 years ago

In Kansas City, they have the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures. I never went when I lived there. I think I really missed out on a fun day, now that I'm getting such a kick out of your creations.

When the kids and I go up, which we do yearly to see family, we're going!

Here is a link that might be useful: Museum website - miniatures

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I keep coming back for another peek at your beautiful doll house. I can't seem to get enough of it. The kitchen is so amazing.

Did you have trouble moving it from where you put it together to where it's final display spot is?

Edited to correct spelling

This post was edited by holly-kay on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 12:04

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i like the dollhouse in the dollhouse bedroom ... is it a replica???

i dont think you gave us a pic of the front of your house .... to compare ....

ken

• Mmmbeeer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't tell you how wonderful it is to read all these really thoughtful comments--thank you again! I love reading about others enjoyment/experiences with mini things too!

Alex, I'm glad you thought to include a link--I can't wish to check this out! I used to love Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle in Chicago when I was a kid. She has running water in her dollhouse! I'm still jealous of that!

http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/fairycastle/

Holly-Kay: we've moved them a couple of times and had to pack my dollhouses up and all the furnishings with them. It's not fun ;-)

Ken, the dollhouse in the dollhouse is made from a 1/144 inch scale kit that you put together--I don't remember reading anything about it being a replica, but it does have that kind of familiar look to it. If you click on the pictures, it takes you to the Photo Bucket gallery where you can see the little dollhouse (the one that bedroom is located in) and my larger one, which is a work in progress.

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

That's fantastic! You are very talented. The whole house is magical. I want to step right in to that kitchen and start cooking.

• edie_thiel
    9 years ago

Wonderful!!! I love dollhouses, train sets, miniatures. So neat!