Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
busybee3_gw

anyone with experience with painting glass?

busybee3
10 years ago

we now have a house with a large, but oddly laid out kitchen. the only real eating area is a large table ht area attached to the island. my husb thinks that there should also be a table in the kitchen. so, i recently purchased a small counter ht glass topped table that was significantly reduced in price d/t scratches on the glass top thinking i could just replace the glass piece. the more i've thought about it i thought (thx to this group!) maybe painting the scratched side might hide the scratches and then i could put the painted side as the underside and have the unscratched side up...

any opinions as to whether paint would be able to 'hide' the scratches in glass??
also, anybody with experience painting glass willing to share some insights/opinions/tips??

not sure yet whether i would try to paint in a design or just try solid- opaque or transluscent- color....

Comments (6)

• teacats
    10 years ago

Just a thought -- perhaps consider using that "frosted paper" that folks use on windows to coat them and create privacy ....

Might work well in this case -- and I think that the privacy paper comes in patterns too ....

May be called "Decorative Window Films" too ...

Check around the Web ...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You can paint glass...with an oil based paint it will be quite durable...but I'm not sure if it will hide the scratch. If you do decide to do something with multiple colors or a pattern or something, remember you must paint in reverse...the highlights go on first the background goes on last...as that's the way it will be seen from the other side.

What will really hide the scratch is to use an etching solution on the glass. If you didn't want the entire thing etched, you can get creative with masking tape and mask a design in the glass that covers the scratches and leaves the rest clear. Or you can get a stencil and etch in a stencil pattern.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Here are some potential ideas. When you click on the picture, you can see the web site URL.
    Backpainted glass

Tutorial below.

Or frosted glass spray:

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY painted glass table

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I've painted decorative designs on wine glasses, glass vases, candleholders and on very old wood framed, multiple-paned windows. For everything but the windows, I used the kind made especially for painting on glass. I found it at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I had to buy a sealant for it and, I believe, I had to bake it in my oven as well, but I'm not sure. It was about 8 years ago. For the window, which I just use as a decoration, propped up in my kitchen, I used regular craft paint on the reverse side. I think I used a spray-on clear sealant for that.

For your use, on the underside of a kitchen table, you could probably use regular acrylic craft paint, which comes in dozens of colors. As someone here has already mentioned, you do need to stay aware that you will be looking at it from the reverse side. This is mainly just an issue for letters and numbers, though.

Other suggestions:
    * Because your painted design will be resting on a metal (?) base, you should protect it from scratching by applying several coats of a clear sealant, made for that paint type, over it before setting it down on the table base.
    * plan out your design ahead of time, drawing it out on paper with colored pencils, etc. Correcting on paper is much easier than correcting part of a large design on something like a tabletop.
    * keep on hand for corrections: a small razor-type window scraper (made for taking paint off of windows); toothpicks are great for scraping off tiny mistakes and drips; and paper towels.
    * use good quality brushes with soft, fine bristles in several sizes. You'll have a lot less obvious brush marks with better brushes.
    * plan your design ahead of time, so that you're not going back to add more paint to areas. I don't mean that you absolutely can not add more paint, but you just have to be careful. It can cause a variation in the opaqueness of the paint from one spot to another (think: thickness of the paint on the design), which could show through and look odd.
    * paint one area at a time, so that you don't accidentally smear it with your hand . . . been there; done that!
    Lynn

• sloyder
    10 years ago

have you inquired to see if the scratches could be polished out?

• busybee3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thx everybody! i will have to give what i might want it to look like alittle more thought... those pictures are neat.. that board room table painted blue is beautiful!

teacats-my concern with window film is that the scratches will still be there, unchanged and visible i would think, tho if i used a busy pattern, they certainly wouldn't stand out so much... maybe will experiment with cutting designs in waxed paper and viewing it through the glass from above and see what the scratches look like with that...

my thought was that the paint might go into the scratch grooves and they might disappear alittle?? i might try just alittle something on the scratches 1st to see if it does even mask them... haven't even been out to any stores yet to look at paint, but will do that later this week...
    i hadn't really thought about etching the glass, so that is definitely an interesting idea!!! will check out products for that too...
    lynn, i hadn't thought about a protective coating over paint- it is on a metal base with 'rubber?' cushions, but i guess i would want to be able to wipe it down too... hmmm...

i will experiment alittle and see what happens--

i bought a mirror and shower door from a glass company a couple of years ago- i will probably give them a call too and see what they say about polishing it.... if the price is reasonable, that would certainly be easiest...

i'll let you know what i do....