Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

White on white design

Pipdog
10 years ago

I thought I'd start a thread for a discussion of white on white design trends. This trend is popular where I am with many homes painted all white inside. I'm seeing more and more of it on design blogs. I'm headed towards my first all white house with modern lines. The warmth will be brought in by the golden-hued floors, the walnut cabinets, dark wood furniture with colored upholstery, rugs and artwork.

I know some people here dislike white kitchens and all white homes seem to evoke a "it's so stark -- why in the world would you do that??" reaction.

I'm curious what others think of this trend. Do you find it to be crisp and clean? Or sterile, hospital-like and impractical?

White living rooms:

Beach Style Living Room by New York Architects & Designers Robert Young Architects

Modern Living Room by Montreal Interior Designers & Decorators Esther Hershcovich

Contemporary Home Office by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Jessica Helgerson Interior Design

Modern Living Room by Los Angeles Interior Designers & Decorators maison21

Modern Living Room by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Marie Burgos Design

Traditional Living Room by Malvern Furniture & Accessories Sheffield Furniture & Interiors

Midcentury Living Room by Other Metro Media & Bloggers Jan Skacelik

Midcentury Living Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Mikel Irastorza

Midcentury Living Room by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Jessica Helgerson Interior Design

Midcentury Living Room by Brooklyn Architects & Designers Leone Design Studio

Midcentury Living Room by Other Metro Media & Bloggers Jeanette Lunde

White bedrooms:

Traditional Bedroom

Modern Bedroom by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Bruce Bierman Design

White kitchens:

Contemporary Kitchen by Vancouver Home Stagers DEKORA Staging Inc

Traditional Kitchen by San Francisco Architects & Designers Sutro Architects

Modern Kitchen by New York Architects & Designers Chelsea Atelier Architect, PC

Contemporary Kitchen by Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators Tanya Schoenroth Design

Modern Kitchen by Cabin John Design-Build Firms Anthony Wilder Design/Build, Inc.

White baths:

Traditional Bathroom by Novato General Contractors Rasmussen Construction

Transitional Bathroom by Dallas Home Builders Ellen Grasso & Sons, LLC

Beach Style Bathroom by New York Architects & Designers Wettling Architects

Contemporary Bathroom by Alexandria General Contractors Harry Braswell, Inc.

Dining room:

Midcentury Dining Room by Other Metro Interior Designers & Decorators Mikel Irastorza

Comments (38)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the look and part of that is due to seeing it over and over. With most trends in houses, decor, clothing, jewelry..... they may not appeal when new but with repeated exposure the new look becomes more attractive and sometimes expected as with some clothing trends. However, much as I like an all white or mostly white interior when looking at pictures in a magazine or online, it's not something I could live with. To me, it's more of a fantasy look not reality, but that doesn't make it any less visually appealing.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I think it's beautiful but impractical for a rural setting, with dogs, where I live. Mud plus white equals brown.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I like white, esp. layered whites. I don't care for icy polar white *or* MCM style, so I will agree that some all-whites can be cold and stark. I prefer creamy whites, ivory, vanilla, parchment, butter cream, etc. It keeps me level and calm. This topic gets a LOT of traffic on GW.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I love the look, and our place in Florida has a lot of white, chrome and grey, but it does not photograph well, I think those decors are better seen in person, the textures and variations of white show up better irl.

Also in person you can see the outdoors, parts of the sky from the patio windows, so it's never an all white only look.

• sas95
    10 years ago

I like white, but the pictures you posted with the white floors seem really hospital-like to me. With the warmth of some wood and a bit of color added, it's a pretty look. I don't think I could live with it as I prefer warmer tones overall, but I could definitely appreciate the look in someone else's home.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love the look with some light woods, plants, and textures thrown in. Actually had it decades ago with white walls, white linen covers, bamboo blinds, flokati, white book shelves, pine floors, and some pine furniture. I didn't find it impractical at all as I could bleach the white fabrics, and the natural wood floor hid the dirt beautifully.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

White walls are definitely making a return. I think greater care must be taken with the decor plan , though. I truly love white walls when paired with dark woods. The examples you've posted are too white, cold and unappealing to me, but the addition of dark beams, floors and a gorgeous rug, would make all the difference. That's the white wall look I love . Have you painted your beams?

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I like the picture with the plants and the white rooms with wood flooring. I personally couldn’t live with so much white but do think the whites with wood and large plants are pretty. To me the whites with white floors are just too cold.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

"I'm headed towards my first all white house with modern lines. The warmth will be brought in by the golden-hued floors, the walnut cabinets, dark wood furniture with colored upholstery, rugs and artwork."

Because you're painting the walls white you think you are going to be in an "all white house"? Because you won't be.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I love looking at pictures of white on white throughout homes. For me, I have it in one of my bathrooms and will have it in another. (Yet another bathroom is white and charcoal/gray/silver.) It feels very clean and fresh to me. I also have a dog and am not the best housekeeper, so I do not feel like I could maintain it in the main living areas of the house. I like the look in kitchens in the right home, but I don't feel like my house is right for it. Thanks for sharing.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I like the look ~ obviously (LOL) ~ as I've done our living room and MBR in White-on-White. The walls throughout our entire home are done in a warm cream, which does make them less stark white. Plus, it looks better on our exposed adobe walls. In our living room, I went with matching cream colored linen-look sofas. But, the room is warmed by the wood ceilings with beams, warm brick floors, wood rattan coffee and end tables, books, Oriental rugs and by the paintings on the walls. There are no drapes or shutters on any of the windows, as we live in the mountains and have no neighbors close enough to see in. To me, it looks warm, restful, and inviting. I'm not very taken with rooms, though, where everything is white and can see how that look can come across as cold and sterile.

Our MBR has the same warm cream walls, brick floors and wood ceiling. The comforter and bed skirt are both in shades of cream, but again, it's warmed by the wood furniture, needlepoint rugs and art work on the walls.

I think the plans for your house sound wonderful, warm, inviting and I can't wait to see finished pics of it!
    Lynn

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the look a lot....except for the white floors....impossible to keep clean....just like very dark floors...they show every speck. I especially like this look with oversized abstract art on the walls.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Not a *crisp* white, but ivory, tan, cream, shades that are a bit warmer, not cool or sterile. I couldn't fanthom having all white walls, but love the tan backdrop I have in all my rooms. All white could become too much after awhile.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dlm, some of these examples in my original post are too much of a "fantasy look" for me too. I couldn't pull many of them off, especially the all white kitchens. I need some contrast for it to be visually interesting. The purist all white rooms seem almost untouchable, as if I wouldn't want to walk on the floors or put my cup on the counter.

lynneinnewmexico, the cream looks lovely paired with your beautiful backdrop and the unique style of your home. It's so peaceful and serene.

golddust, yes, white and dogs do not mix. I once lived in Atlanta which has red clay and we had off white carpet in a new build home. The carpets were ruined after 3 months of two big dogs walking on them. This time around, we only have one room with carpeting and we matched our flooring and carpet to our dog. Our upholstery will probably be a combo of nubby, darker material and leather to hold up to the dog drool, muddy footprints and kid beating our house takes on a daily basis.

martinca, we are in the process of painting/priming. The ceilings have to be repaired first.

joanieponie, i'm with you on white floors. We once had black floors and that was equally hard to keep clean.

blfenton, I meant all white paint and not having colors on the walls. The house will have some wood tones, as my original post states. Most of the examples in the photos I posted are not ALL white -- many of them have other colors brought in by flooring, rugs, accessories and/or furniture. I think a purist all white house would be somewhat difficult to accomplish with day to day living, kids, dogs, etc.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I can look at the white rooms with a bit of envy since they certainly wouldn't fit into my lifestyle (three dogs and an aversion to vacuuming every day!). However, I vastly prefer the layering of creams, ivories, and even soft grays and blues over a pure white. Years of hospital work means that white equals sterile to me. Give me a room that conveys warmth any day! Of course, you mentioned blending the white with wood, which i think would immediately warm up the space.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Nottaway's Ballroom (1859)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Some are pretty, some are too cold, none would be easy to live with. The key to white on white is making sure you have enough texture and shape and shine to keep it interesting.

But also, I love color to much to live without it.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i think they look really, really nice!
    i could have an all white bathroom like those pictured....

i couldn't have white furniture- leather or upholstery or white carpet/rug... would literally drive me crazy because i/we are not very careful people and i know there would be smudges and dirt everywhere and nothing looks worse imo than dirty white!!!

it doesn't remind me of hospitals--- the hospitals i've worked in/visited tried very hard not to have very much white so they would look less sterile and 'unhomey' (love made up words!) to patients/family...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like most of them, love many of them and only a few hit me wrong (one of the living rooms and the first bedroom, both of which mostly look amateurish to me).

I have always been attracted to the white and cream looks. I try to branch out, but I keep coming back to it. I like the way white changes subtly at different times of the day and different seasons. I hyperventilate when I need to choose color ...

I will dissent a bit on white and kids and dogs. It depends on the surface. We have light colored sisal in the kids rooms, but we all take our shoes off at the door, and the dog doesn't go in the bedrooms. Most of our other flooring is hardwoods or slate or tile. I do have a light colored rug in my family rm that is ill advised.

However, I was just remarking to DH that a white slipcovered sofa is the best choice for a family. I love being able to wash it, and since it's white, i can use strong stain removers if need be or even a bit of bleach pen. Oddly enough, i think a washable, bleachable slipcovered is the easiest for a family to keep clean! We have one in the family room, one in the stone house, and one at the lake. We will put them in our Maine house, too.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree with mtnredux: That's why I have a lot of white clothes/sheets/towels, because I can bleach the heck out of it.

• golddust
    10 years ago

We maintain a Septic system as well as a well water system. Like I said, we live rural. We must be fully aware of our Eco environment. If I interrupt the environment, other things suffer. I can not use the harsh chemicals to maintain my decor or we pay out the big money.

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

I like layering creams and whites, especially with the warmth of wood floors and wood furniture. I have several cream-on-cream rooms, but no white furniture. For us, it just doesn't work with all of the eating, drinking, teens and dogs. Removing and washing slipcovers is doable, but still a tedious exercise. I also like to have a neutral backdrop for art.

Here's a favorite room I had saved to illustrate--makes me go aaaahhhhhh. It just wouldn't have the same feel with colored walls.

• citywoman2012
    10 years ago

I love the white rooms.
    They are like a breath of fresh air after the reds, golds,
    blacks and other dark colors.
    My home I sold had an all white master bath with a white open tiled shower 5'x5'....white floor, cabinets, crystal knobs etc. The bath was 10'x16'
    I even had a ceiling fan in it.....white.
    That bath sold that house.
    I used color in the pictures and vanity items.

Kitchen was all white with wood floor.
    I had previously had red walls, yellow walls, green, gold.

You will love it!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I use hydrogen peroxide or oxygen bleach (sodium percarbonate), not chlorine bleach, and my washing machine heats up to close to boiling.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just for fun, I was wondering if there were any design seeds for white on white.

• lala girl
    10 years ago

I love white - absolutely love it. And I agree with lots of other posters that I like layers of white and cream and definitely loads of texture to keep it from getting too too stark. My house has gotten whiter over the last several years and definitely more and more minimal - (I now have very few accessories, just absolutely what I love). Interestingly I went more white when we refinished all our hardwoods dark so maybe it's the contrast I like as well. As DH says - he doesn't think I would leave him for another man but I "might leave him for an all white apartment downtown..."

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

LOL, Laura.

A followup note in re bleach. We do not have bleach per se in our house; it is so strong that I consider it contraband. But, if you have something white, you can get a stain out by washing it in hot water, using a stain remover, bleach alternatives, etc. (and worst case, if you have a small spot, a bleach pen). By contrast, very often the process of removing a spot from a dark or patterned fabric will cause it to fade noticeably. So, I too, favor white for a family (sheets, towels, slipcovers) but that rarely means a need to use any true bleach at all.

Also, in re slipcovers. The ease of removing and washing them varies with the weight and type of fabric, style of sofa, etc. I have a chair/ottoman that is 10+ years old and the slips on it are such that it's about as much work as dressing and undressing a toddler and doing a load of wash. Just put them back on slightly damp.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

I rather like white walls, especially in a modern house, just not with all white floors and furniture. The vast majority of the walls in our house are "white" (Dunn Edwards "Fossil"), which makes the views out the large windows really pop. We have 3 grayish blue (different shades) accent walls in the house on non-window walls.

I think white walls and wood floors look great together.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Well, I've decided I love/adore/desire the all white look in magazines/photos, but I haven't found a house I've seen in person where I like the all white look. Not saying it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen one yet.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ooh, Annie is that a white peacock? Stunning! Thanks for posting the design seeds.

mtn, the slipcovered look is timeless and being able to toss the sofa cover in the wash makes it so much easier. We had a slipcovered sectional in our first home which we loved, but we sold them when we downsized to a smaller place in the city. I wish we could do slipcovers in our new home, but I'm not sure it jives with MCM style - those sofas are much more structured and uncomfortable looking.

laura, I love the idea of a home containing items that are cherished and well thought out and not a bunch of stuff that we're not connected to.

ineffablespace, looks like this "trend" goes way back. thanks for posting.

I've been searching for inspiration for post and beam style homes, and today I ran across this home, which is (to me) a masterpiece. Like many of you have mentioned, I think the key to this white home feeling so warm and cozy is the layering and all the textures (sisal rug, the unique light (?)/art over the table, the lamp shades, wood tones in the flooring) and the plants. And the gorgeous wine country setting doesn't hurt. Most of the fantasy stuff on Houzz doesn't look all that liveable to me, but this house makes me want to move to wine country.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1942894)

[Rustic Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2111) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1943032)

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1942972)

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-kitchen-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1942959)

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-bathroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1943037)

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-pool-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1942952)

[Contemporary Pool[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-pool-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_727~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"I'm curious what others think of this trend. Do you find it to be crisp and clean? Or sterile, hospital-like and impractical? "

I've always loved white, and white on white.I guess I've been around long enough to not see it as a trend. The pictures you post appear to me as someone's desire for cleanliness and order in their life. Maintaining that, however, could be difficult and stressful. How much stuff you have out during the day varies by person. Some people read a book. Others always seem to have projects going.

It does not seem to me to be a practical approach to an active at-home lifestyle and would be a lot of work involved to maintain such a pristine home. White shows a lot of dirt so there isn't a lot of slack. If you're around trees and dust, forget being able to keep up with the cleaning.

In that perfection is an unnatural state, I think that is why the style seems sterile. Not that they aren't pretty, it's just there is no sign of life. Or room for life. It's all about the materials and a state of perfection. One hair out of place or a zit ...

I'm sure you'll find a happy balance figuring out your new house. If you haven't already, I would be sure to spend some considerable time in spare white rooms to see how they feel to you.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Love your new inspiration photos.

Some slipcovered pieces are a nod to modern ...

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Just back from IKEA.

Karlstadt white leather:
    {{gwi:1891204}}

or with washable slip cover:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Just wondering how much those vintage beatles posters above would go for now....I recall I had the Peter Max versions in the day...

• busybee3
    10 years ago

wow! i'd take almost any interior to have a view/backyard like that one!!
    like the bottom 3 color palettes that are shown above... love the contrast of the flowers (poppies??)
    i guess white slpicovers are a way to try and have white and kids, animals, etc,etc but you've got to like the slipcovered look and, i couldn't imagine doing the slipcovers bimonthly or monthly ... i got to the point when my kids were younger that i wouldn't buy white t/polo shirts because i got so tired of fighting stains!! (i would inevitably miss some too and then they were even harder to get out next time!) lol. oh well, we all live differently... no right or wrong!

• Angie Masciotra
    4 years ago

Love the white white and more white !

• barbie08075
    4 years ago

I love all the white!,