Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Help me with this wall

Oakley
14 years ago

First off, the wall, speaker, window, floors and pictures are staying. :)

Below is a picture of part of the back of the living room. Ignore the mess in the foreground, that's my "wrapping station."

It's a bad picture, sorry. This is the main area we walk from the LR, front door, to the kitchen and back of the house.

The antique smoke stand was my dad's but I can always move it. I was thinking about some sort of sofa table, but there's already a sofa table on the area rug in front of the wall.

There's plenty of room to walk around what I put there as long as it's not too deep.

But the smoke stand (which I keep a plant on) seems naked on such a long wall.

Any advice? Anything that goes there would have to be lower than the window so I can open it.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (23)

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

Very nice house. It might help to see the entire room and how it is used. Is it a pass through area?

What about a backless bench with fabric seat? Or, two of them on either side. I know you want to keep the artwork but there seems to be something that is off balance. A shelf or two could help incorporate the speaker but you're not asking for help with that :-)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

And I see a floor register.

When you say "the pictures are staying," are you saying the pictures must stay in the locations they are in now? Can other things be added?

I agree that seeing more of the area would help with making suggestions. That looks like an entry door on the right and a table in the foreground, making me think this is a dining room.

That is lovely beadboard. I wouldn't stick things in front of it just to fill up the space. The area could look less bare by making changes to the wall decorations and with dressing the window. But given the first sentence of your post, I'm reluctant to make suggestions along those lines.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I can picture an old wooden bench, with a back, under the window. One with a motif cut out. Maybe a colorful cushion, too. Might be useful near the door putting boots on, though seems a bit far away.

I've seen speakers hidden in baskets. I think I'd try something like that and see how the sound goes.

Very pretty area! Love the arched window.

• lobotome
    14 years ago

I'm thinking that a larger piece might be needed under the window. Considering how I fell in love with my3dogs' CL dresser, I have a small dresser on my mind for your space. I too love the arched window :)

• User
    14 years ago

A chest or dresser, the width of the window that is not too deep. The stand is definately too narrow there.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

I say a LONG pew bench, old and a little distressed.

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

I also think a tapestry bench under the window....move the smoke stand under the Parish or Fox print with a trailing plant in a jardiniere on top....move the cross to the right-hand grouping and move the small print with the white mat somewhere else so that most of the wall hangings are of a darker nature....and perhaps add another print or two a bit larger for the right side wall grouping. I just had to add my two cents, Oakleyok, since I've admired your home is so many posts.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Begoniagirl, lol. The pictures can be moved around, the larger Parrish lithograph will stay in the spot I have it in. I'm going to have to look up "jardiniere."

I have a bench in the entryway already, but I do like the idea of an old dresser.

graywings, We have a lot of windows in the LR so I'm going to leave the shutters bare. No problem with adding other items to the walls though. That's also not a dining room, it's a table we have in the backof the room. Oh, here's a picture of it but it doesn't show the wall i'm talking about:

• tinam61
    14 years ago

I agree there is something off balance about the picture groupings, and removing/moving/or changing the white mat so it doesn't stand out. I wondered what the speaker was at first. I'd look into hiding it somehow.

A chest would work. Since you have a bench and a table nearby, I wouldn't use another one of either under the window. Possibly some sort of desk? I wouldn't cover too much of the beadboard either and you'll have to work around the 2 floor registers. Move the smoking stand to another area.

tina

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

IMO the wall is calling for balance and symmetry. I would add two smallish armoires (but probably not matching) on either side of the window with perhaps a bench inbetween underneath the window. This idea doesn't address your desire to keep the art on that wall. Maybe try moving your curio over to the other side of the room and then imagine another similar piece on the other side of the window and see if you like that.

Love the paint color that you have in your room...it's lovely!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Sorry, I don't remember your sofa table clearly or how you use it, but maybe that could work under the window? Or do you need/love the ST where it is now. You could then also place a basket on the lower shelf, with the speaker inside (if the sound carries well enough, of course).

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    14 years ago

First, I would move the tall picture to the right of the speaker, then put the cross next to it to balance out the speaker. The other 3 pics could go to the opposite side of the window, but not like they are now. I'd rather see the 2 small ones stacked, with the bigger pic next to it. I agree with you that the smoker stand looks too small there all by itself.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I would not put a piece of furniture there.
    The reason that smoke stand looks lonely is because it is....move it somewhere where there is something else close.
    And leave that passage with nothing but the pictures. It doesn't need to be cluttered with a bench that no one sits on or a table that is never used for anything but doo dads or clutter.
    Space is also a design element...and every space does not have to be filled.
    Linda c

• yayagal
    14 years ago

I can picture it with a lovely rocking chair at an angle to the left of the window, toss a throw on the back and it would seem very cozy, you could even add a tiny table with a plant.
    Regarding the wall, I know you didn't ask but for balance I'd move the large picture to the right hand side of the wall and put the dark smaller one to the left a little lower than it is and put the cross above it. I think maybe you could find another place to make a pairing of the other two. I hope this doesn't offend you. I'm only thinking of balance.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You all may be right about putting the larger picture to the right of the window. I dread putting another nail in the wall.

The Cross will probably get moved, it's a Christmas Cross with a nativity scene on it.

Since I have a lot of houseplants which are in the utility room right now, what about a plant stand? I have a nice green wicker stand by the large window but I wouldn't mind having another, but different.

Yaya, I have a rocking chair but it would really be in the way of foot traffic right there.

Squirrel, we use the sofa table quite a bit and it's a perfect fit for behind the sofa. My cats like to get cozy between the table and the top of the sofa. :)

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

Oakleyok, a jardiniere is just a fancy name for a pot that holds a plant, and in your lovely home, especially with your Parrish, we have to call it a jardiniere. Whatever else you do, I still think the smoke stand would look spectacular under the Parrish, something about the shapes and vintage aspects of both pieces.

• les917
    14 years ago

I am going to be the odd one out here and say that unless you need benches for more seating, I would leave the wall bare of furniture. If it is a major pathway, you don't need anything there just to put something there.

If it feels too bare, you could look for a pair of standing rectangular planters to sit there. A pair of these on either side of the window space would allow you to add some softness with plants and grasses, but still not take up much space visually or add unnecessary furniture. How fun this time of year to fill with holiday greens and large ornaments, etc. If you keep the plants in pots, and just cover with moss, you can change them out seasonally.

rectangular plant stand

I do think you could do some rearranging of the wall art and pieces. Right not everything feels unrelated. If the Parrish piece stays as is, we might have issues. I think the Parrish piece needs to be on the other side of the window, because of the way the trees and branches in the art face. It looks like the tree is pointing to the left, and so should point to the center of the wall. I would move it to the other side of the wall where the three art pieces are now.

I think it would do you well to add another shelf like the speaker shelf on the other side of the window, and add an interesting vase or plant, which would create a visual balance and a pair with the speaker shelf. I would then create a grouping of art on the left side, losing the cross as it is a temporary item anyway, and putting a grouping of the smaller pieces on the left side.

Your round rug is lovely, but feels kind of large for that table and chairs. It might help if the console table behind the couch were sitting with both legs on the rug as well. Also, I would move the curio cabinet down to the right a bit, away from the speaker, so it doesn't draw attention to the speaker but becomes the focal point of the wall space.

Lovely room.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Les, this is too funny! I have two plant stands on the front porch very similar to the one you posted! Here's a picture of them, the smaller one has since been moved but it would look great under the window for one of my bigger plants! Plus it will add gold to the room which I desperately need.

{{gwi:695412}}

The curio can't move over because there's a door to the right of it that houses our heat and air for this room.

The table looks bigger in person, my camera makes objects appear small for some reason, like the picture of the smoke stand. It has two leaves on it which we open quite a bit, so anything larger would make it cramped when we walk in the area to the front of the room.

I'll definitely move the larger Parrish print. The other picture which is dark on the right side of the wall is another Parrish, so should I put it where the taller print is?

• sunfeather
    14 years ago

I like the idea of the plant stands - something that you would enjoy rather than something there just to fill up space.

• rosie
    14 years ago

I love your window. How about a chest just a bit wider than the window with a curved front or curved ends to echo it? Perhaps painted light color(s) to blend/harmonize with the wall colors?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Les, I just posted this picture in the new Xmas tree topic, but I'll post it again so you can see the other side of the room. The rocking chair is usually where the tree is, but I moved it for now. The plant stand you see is the one I'm thinking about putting in front of the shorter window, and put one of the metal stands in it's place. I really need to clear out the utlity room of my plants because I have no room left to fold clothes!

I bought all my plant stands from plantstands.com. It's a great website!

Anyway, you can see I have no place else to move the curio. And I'm stuck with the speakers. I'm so used to them now I don't even notice they exist. lol.

{{!gwi}}

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

Oakleyok, I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to say I love the beadboard and your paint color. You have a lovely home.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Oakleyok, I'm horrible at giving advice, but also wanted to add that I love your room!

Kat :)