Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Progress on a sunny Sunday morning

sochi
9 years ago

Gorgeous day today at my cottage. Sanded a slab I intend to use as hall bench. Will seal it shortly. I was going to use this slab as bed side tables, change of plans.

{{gwi:2141037}}

The glass railing is in, really opening up the views and letting more sun shine through.

{{gwi:2141038}}
{{gwi:2141039}}

Bed is in, and one light, second one later today:

{{gwi:2141040}}

Sunny day, first snow:
{{gwi:2141041}}

Still quite a bit of work to do in the walk-out, and I hope my BIL will find the time to make me a DR table. Need to seal the counter in the main bathroom still and get the ipe decking in the shower. White grates still have to go. That said, we're making great progress and are enjoying the space most weekends.

Enjoying is an under statement. Once up here I never want to leave. This is more than just a house for me. I just love it.

Comments (28)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

It's so gorgeous that I would never want to leave either.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

lovely, lovely!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ohhh, i love the glass railing... Nice job!

• sas95
    9 years ago

I love everything about your cottage.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would've t want to leave, either!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Beautiful.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Breathtaking.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Looks so serene and relaxing. Love all your choices, it's just beautiful.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Perfection.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I love it.

How is the glass working on the stairs? They had detail in a building here and they had to cap it on the stairway part because people kept grabbing the top edge. The cap sort of ruined the translucency but it was more functional.

The reason I ask is that I am left handed and going down the glass would be on my left. I've fallen down the stairs here on the part where there is no handrail on my left. (Don't mean this to be all about me, just wondering from experience).

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Stunning!!! I love your hbc chair ;) I would never want to leave, either.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

OMG, I love, love, love your house - those windows, the view and the Hudson Bay blanket covering your chair - fabulous.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Pal, I hadn't thought of that, good question. My daughter is left handed, I just asked her if she has any trouble. She said no, she just uses the right railing. The glass edges are not sharp (I think they are ever so slightly rounded), and I think in an emergency you could grasp it without hurting yourself. We did use the glass railing to hold onto until the railing went in, without difficulty. Of course I don't encourage it now, all I need are more little fingerprints on glass!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Sochi,
    Thanks so much for sharing! I feel like your cottage has a lot of admirers from all factions of our group. So well thought out and executed. I really appreciate you sharing the process and the end result with us.

For me, these threads where people start from scratch, listen to everyone's opinion, gracefully pick, choose and boldly post their gorgeous finished products are the most educational and fun to read. I can't contribute much, someone usually says what I'm thinking before I do, but I do enjoy them so much.

Your cottage and Mtn's stone cottage are both wildly different dream spaces for me and I so appreciate you both for sharing.

Beth

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

it's stunning, sochi!

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Serene yet so refreshing! Wow!

• voila
    9 years ago

There's nothing better than to sit in a sunny window on a chilly day. Writing from Florida, I sure would like to go outside for a big gulp of that fresh air. I hope you make fabulous family memories in your beautiful cottage.

• AngieS80
    9 years ago

Ohhhhh, where is that headboard from??? I love it!

• AngieS80
    9 years ago

Ohhhhh, where is that headboard from??? I love it!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Spectacular! The chair looks perfect for the space! Great job. Cant wait to see more pics!

• loribee
    9 years ago

Such a delight to see, thanks for sharing!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I can see why you wouldn't want to leave. It's just wonderful.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Sochi I just have to say I really adore this place and love seeing your updates! So classy!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Wow! What a refuge.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Just beautiful, sochi! I know you hate to leave the place. I love that chair.

I don't think it struck me until yesterday how much it reminded me of a pair of chairs I had in the late 60's-early 70's, early in my first marriage. They were red and I had a yellow sofa. We bought them from a German couple who had Swedish modern furniture. I can't recall why they were selling, but it was immaculate and we needed furniture for our new house. Wish I still had them. But the cushions weren't near that thick IIRC.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Angie, it is the Trinity bed from StyleGarage, link below.

Outsideplaying (great handle, btw), they sound like fabulous chairs! The original cushions on my chair were much thinner as well. I took some liberties when I had it reupholstered, it is more comfortable now in my view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Not enough ooh's and aah's to do your place justice!!!!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

gorgeous! love the floor to ceiling windows!