Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Period correct crown molding

franksmom_2010
9 years ago

This is about a dollhouse, so keep that in mind...

I'm building a Gothic Revival dollhouse, and my next build will be a Carpenter Gothic. In my head, the houses would have been built in the mid-late 1800's, but so far I'll be decorating and furnishing as though it were 1920-1940 or so, since I don't really care for a lot of the Victorian d�cor.

These would have been simple rural cottages, but with classic Gothic architectural details. I'm stumped about the crown molding. The way the houses are constructed, it adds some stability (and covers some gaps) to use some type of ceiling trim, so each room will probably get something.

Would it be correct to use a larger more elaborate crown, maybe even a dentil molding or a double cove in the living room, then a simple square trim or a small cove in the kitchen? Or would there have been simple trim throughout?

I have been researching the architecture and style for a while, and it's hard to find interior examples that aren't universities or churches.

Flooring is a whole other discussion, but I'm thinking of small hex tiles or a penny round in the bathroom and hardwood for the rest. Any thoughts? Would the kitchen have had hardwood?

Comments (9)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

A friend of mine lived in a "Gothic Cottage" that was fairly intact inside and despite the high ceilings (12'+), the moulding was fairly small. It was a sort of ogee moulding that extended further out on the ceiling like a cornice and not very far down the wall. There were separate picture rails further down the wall.

Upstairs there were small mouldings at the ceiling and some rooms had a picture rail hung right below this.

This picture is from the listing.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Gothic Revival is later. Feel free to use high Victorian ornate moldings.

Think of Carpenter Gothic as an offshoot of Greek Revival. So, earlier, but also more prevalent in cottage-y contexts. I'd keep it simpler.

You can absolutely do simpler or no crowns in the kitchen.

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much!

Pal, the Gothic Revival will have a similar exterior window hood as your friend's house. Very cool!

As far as dollhouses go, these will be fairly small, with small rooms so I'll probably stay on the small side for all of the trimmings, except the downstairs baseboards and door trim. I hadn't even considered a picture rail, but that would be a neat feature in the living room.

One of the trickier things about building and decorating on this scale is that some things have to be decided and installed as it's built, so a lot of decisions have to be made while it's all still in pieces and the final product is just in my head.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

This is the entry of the house above

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I saw this at a museum gift shop and thought of your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medieval pattern craft papers

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Marcolo - Those medieval pattern papers make fabulous tile flooring for scenes.

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those papers really are pretty. I don't care for a lot of dollhouse wallpaper, but I would use some of those.

I struggle with how to decorate these tiny rooms. I'd like to keep them fairly simple and neutral, working with a simple cottage vibe and using some nicer pieces of furniture, but I don't want it to be boring.

Mixing color and pattern on a real-life scale is not my strong point, and it's even harder when all of the rooms are viewed as a whole. I thought of using the same neutral paint for most of the interior walls and using some wallpapers for accent walls, but that seems like a cop out. Or it might just be brilliant...have to give it a try and see how it goes.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I don't have time to dig them up, but you can easily find websites that describe various Victorian approaches to wallpaper, taken from books of the time. A common scheme was to use three wallpapers on the walls. The top third was the frieze, and the middle, often less busy, was the field. A third wallpaper was used below chair rail height. And of course, the ceiling got papered too! Search for one of these schemes that inspires you, and try it out in the parlor or dining room. Then try to coordinate with something simpler upstairs.

• suero
    9 years ago

Check out photos of dollhouses at the Museum of Childhood. The museum is a branch of the V&A in Hackney.

Here is a link that might be useful: dollhouses at the Museum of Childhood