Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchdesj2

Slice of Life (End of 2013) PART 9

mitchdesj
10 years ago

Finishing the year 2013, I thought we could have another Slice of Life to cap it off.

I flew in from Florida last night to greet my new grand daughter tomorrow, caesarian at 10 a.m.
It's a snow day here in Montreal, another 30 cm is coming down, I'll post a pic in the next post.

Happy Holidays to everyone, Mitchdesj

Comments (69)

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, we are spending the holidays in post-tonsillectomy HELL with our 20 yo DD. Here she is on the couch with one doggie, ice packs wrapped around her ears and throat Alfalfa-style. I knew it would be bad, but she is in absolute agony. Highest dose of pain meds around the clock every 4 hours! I am worn to a nub physically and mentally. Anyway, I know it will pass but it's hard when your child is in pain and you feel helpless! Hope everyone has a great holiday. The snow pics are beautiful!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Texanjana, one of my undergrads had the same surgery around this time last year, and she told me it pretty much ruined her holidays. Hope she feels better soon!

• edie_thiel
    10 years ago

What else... a picture of the Kees, of course. :-) Happy Holidays!

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Kees, a "Kodak moment" for sure. Sweet pup with visions of dog biscuits in her eyes.

• happy2b…gw
    10 years ago

Santa sent me helpers today. Here are my grandson (on left) and his best friend. I am so fortunate. These boys are doing a really fantastic job.

• sameboat
    10 years ago

Our family get-together table...

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I just love the snow and ice pictures. Nice to admire from afar. Wish I had some grandchildren to snuggle. Such pretty decorations, especially Cyn's gardenia tree.

Here's my mom with the tv she got for Christmas. We gave it to her early so it could be set up before things get too hectic. She said it is nice to be able to see people's faces. She couldn't see them on her tiny 12 inch screen. No one could. She is 96.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Aw, Ded, your mom is adorable. Jeepers, I hope we look so good at 96. Heck, I hope I an still standing when I am 96! Merry Christmas to her!

• User
    10 years ago

ded - Your mother is stunning! You're sooooo lucky to have her with you!

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

dedtired - You are truly blessed. Have a merry Christmas all.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

Here is my MIL who turned 103 on Dec 17. She still lives at home but does have some help during the day.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Such beautiful, strong looking women...I hope I will wear my age half as well!

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed, bravo to these women !! so nice to see.

Our little Brooklyn Gia was born at 11 a.m. as scheduled, 8 lb 10 on.
    A happy slice of my life today indeed !!
    We have a xmas outfit for her to wear on wednesday.
    For today we let her chill in her hospital blankets.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Wow -- newborn to 103. Now that is a slice of life!

Brooklyn is gorgeous. Congratulations.

Denali, I can't believe your mil is 103 and lives at home. I would not be surprised if my mother makes it to that age. Her uncle lived to 106.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Santa's snack is waiting for him.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

{{!gwi}}

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Beautiful baby mitchdesi!

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, everyone! Hope you have a very special day full of laughter and joy. I've just filled the stockings and am off to my winter's nap.

• User
    10 years ago

Love all the photos.

Mitch you always look so chic! Congratulations on the new grand baby. That's a nice name.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Mitch, what a beautiful & treasured Christmas Gift this year.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

So many great pictures and stories.

Riverhouse, there is something about the picture of the 2 boys wrapping that just makes me happy.

mitch, adorable!

We are just back from 3 days at the lake with my 81 year old mom. She lives on the edge of a 100 acre wood that she protects like a momma bear and knows better than she knows her own kids. It was -17 and loads of snow. We bundled up well and went walking through the woods and out on the lake at least 3 times each day (and night!) The first night at about 9pm my made the first call for a walk (did I mention she's 81). We went out on the lake and the kids and I had trouble keeping up with her. I think it's hilarious that my brother (who lives with her) won't let her drive any more, but thinks nothing of her going out on an hour long walk in -16 F. weather with just the dog for company. And I am so glad that she can still do this - no matter the weather.

• User
    10 years ago

OT - Mitch! Is that your new PB fur throw I spy?

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks Shee ! no, that's a cheap fleece blanket DD bought to cover the cracked vynil chair she slept on at the hospital, lolâ¦

• frankginakay
    10 years ago

Merry Christmas, day afterâ¦.loved seeing all the photos. Thought I would share this one~ My Mom is 92 and flies to see us in SW Florida every year from Texas. I think every year that she is doing better than the year before! We are very fortunate to have her here with us during the holidays. Loved seeing all the snow pictures, but thrilled to be in Florida where it is sunny and warm.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Congrats Mitchdesi!
    Gina, your mom looks amazing, and you do too!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Congrats Mitchdesi! Your little one is so sweet and mama is so pretty. My DD was born at 12:10 pm on Dec 23, thirty three years ago. She has been the greatest blessing in my life. I am wishing you and your lovely daughter the same joy that my DD and I share!!!

PS: On the day we took her home the nurses brought her to us put in a giant red Christmas stocking!

• mitchdesj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for all your good words !! I enjoyed all the posts on this thread, such fun to see what you are all up to and your loved ones.

here's an updated at home picture of Brooklyn, she is almost 4 days old now.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

She is so pretty! Here is mine.....

We had overlapping Au Pairs as we transitioned and due to holidays. I have to admit - although I was worried about the overlap, it was so helpful during the holidays. We have had such wonderful experiences with our Au pairs. I highly recommend it as an option if you need care for your kids. I am sure it depends on where you live and costs of Day care and live out nannies, etc, and for sure it is not for everyone to have someone live in your house, but we have had the bests experiences!

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.

• deeinohio
    10 years ago

Congrats, Mitch! Beautiful little girl. Our niece had a little girl born on Monday, as well.

I love seeing all these happy family pics.

Here's our little 7 year old princess granddaughter, sick with flu on Christmas morn.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

This is how I'm enjoying my post-Christmas days. Relaxing here in my living room in front of the tree with a nice cup of hot tea.
    Lynn

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Since I never had girls, I'm having a blast playing with my granddaughter!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I always enjoy these threads. Coming in to late to comment on all so I'll just say I enjoyed the snow and newborn to 103 year old Mom pictures. What a glorious thread!
    Here's our almost nine month old granddaughter on Santa's lap. If you look close you can see Santa has on his Christmas Hawaiian shirt. Sleeveless and barefoot is not something I've seen before when setting on Santa's lap but when the temps are in the high 70's that's how you dress.

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Oakleyok,
    Can you tell me the name of that doll castle , also do the triple beds come with it or is that part of another set.
    Thanks

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Today my 12 yo daughter was a "ball kid" for the Celtics. She is a huge fan so this was very exciting! Here she is during pre-game (when she was on the court with official ball boys and team players for two hours) when someone passed her the ball and she made a basket! Very fun afternoon.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Lyban, the castle is from "Melissa and Doug," and I think Santa got it at Amazon. It's wood and very sturdy, and opens up. Link below.

The little animals are called "Calico Critters." My DGD adores them! I bought the "triplets," and their triplet bunkbeds are sold separately. The beds came with their own bedding! I'm definitely buying more.

Look at all the critters on Amazon. You'll be amazed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Castle

This post was edited by oakleyok on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 8:29

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Thanks Oakleyok,

I did find the castle and now I am off to find the critters.
    As you can see I am also enjoying my grand daughter .
    Such fun.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Sueb, that is so exciting for your granddaughter. Well, for the whole family. Looks like she's got her eye on the ball.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Ded, that's my DAUGHTER, not granddaughter. Oh, my. Not yet, please.

It was super fun for all of us. She was on the court with the team for two hours before the game, then again at half time. They took a family pic of us at mid court. We had four court side seats. And she got a basketball signed by all the players. When we first won this at an auction last spring, DH and I were so pleased with ourselves thinking OMG, she's gonna loooove this (she's a huge Celtics fan) and when we told her, she said, "uh, I don't think so." She is a bit shy. But that was several months ago and by the time the big day arrived, she was very excited!

• User
    10 years ago

Here is the odd and beautiful sunset over Lake Ontario last night, haven't seen one like that before, it went from orange to pink to red, just beautiful.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I have enjoyed these threads so much this year. This one is especially great. Here's my picture, nothing too fab, but as we said when they were started it's just a slice of what is going on....

I just removed these and returned all of them. Yep, 5 different curtain panels, all in a too-short 84" length, only here for me to make a decision on which one to use. Notice the painters tape holding them up....that stuff is great!

(I picked the 2nd from the left. The fact that they were on clearance helped out a little with the decision too, but I did like them the best).

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

What a beautiful sunset SandyPonder.

Beethose are the ones I'd have picked too. Great way to make a choice.

I posted this on another thread but it really fits here as a slice of life. Our daughter and family lives in Hawaii so we came to spend Christmas with them this year so of course had to spend Christmas day on the beach.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

This is what snow blowing in 12 degree weather with 25 mph wind gusts looks like...and for those of you who were wondering, yes, I do actually have a head!
    ;)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

You are a brave lass to take a stroll today! Im in DC area and it was 15 driving into work today at 9....our birch tree had dumped a pile of snow on my car as I pulled out and some did not blow off while driving so I stood outside at work this morning in the windy weather shoveling the snow away from the wipers so they wouldnt get stuck for the ride home...brrrr...would have never considered taking a walk!!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I finally uploaded some photos. This is a typical shot of our dog when there isn't any sun coming in the house. She likes the most cushy spot in the house at any given time...and we do cover our sofa! :)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

1929Spanish, that is one of the most adorable dog shots ever...and I'm not even a dog person. She apparently thinks she's a cat!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

Thanks olychick. She's lucky she's so cute because she is the meanest dog I ever had. Wants to eat almost everyone AND their silly dogs too! She should be about 10 by now and she is a little better with people she sees often, but still unpredictable.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

Babies and other kids, cat, dogs, beautiful scenery, and a look indoors ... thanks for sharing and letting me take a peak at your lives.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Sueb, oops -- your daughter of course! I recently posted a picture of my sister, my brother and me from the 1950s on Facebook. People thought my sister was my mother! Teenagers looked like mini-adults back then. My sister would have been furious. LOL.

These pictures are all so wonderful. Annie, you were brave to go out for that walk. I shoveled about 16 tons of snow today, but no pics.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

joanie and dedtired, the only walking I did was behind the snow blower or the shovel....it was freakin' cold out there and getting colder tonight!

• salonva
    last year

oh NICE! to see you again Mitchdesj! When I saw your name, I thought, wow whatever happened to her? So nice for you to stop by. Stay a while- please!

I was pretty sure this was going to be a spam reawakening of an 8 year old post and am so happy I decided to look.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus