Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slice of Life (End of 2013) PART 9

Posted by mitchdesj (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 11:41

Finishing the year 2013, I thought we could have another Slice of Life to cap it off.

I flew in from Florida last night to greet my new grand daughter tomorrow, caesarian at 10 a.m.
It's a snow day here in Montreal, another 30 cm is coming down, I'll post a pic in the next post.

Happy Holidays to everyone, Mitchdesj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slice of Life (End of 2013) PART 9

here's what it looks like at the balcony door

o

What a wonderful gift you are getting this year. You must be thrilled!

o

Whoa Mitch! That's a huge drift! Good luck tomorrow.

Here's what we've been living with for two days. Oddly enough we didn't lose power. The whole state (OK) is like this.

photo IMG_5126_zps9a4821f4.jpg

o

We've had snow today and yesterday but, thankfully, nothing heavy. I took this pic as I sat in our living room enjoying my view of our Christmas tree and our snowy mountain out the window. Just a few gifts under the tree still. Tomorrow afternoon is DD's and my scheduled wrapping marathon. I'm late this year because of my injured right hand.
Lynn
C tree 2013 photo image_zps2ccdba79.jpg

o

Congratulations mitchdesj my first grandchild was born this past summer. It is pure joy.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Happy Holidays Everyone

o

Badgergal-she just gets cuter each month!

o

badger, how sweet she is !!!

oakley, indeed you were lucky !
lynne, I forgot about your hand, I'm sure you'll get it all done in time….

thanks for your wishes, the Csection has been moved to 9 a.m. instead of 10 a.m. I opened one eye at 4 a.m. and could not fall back to sleep, so here I am at 5 , makeup on and dressed. I guess I'll have time for a second coffee…lol….

o

Congratulations, mitchdesj!

I don't have a cute baby to share, nor snow storms. I spent yesterday in shorts making apple strudel with my friend Jenny (center), her next youngest DGD (Lily at the counter), Jenny's sis (Holly) and Lily's mother Mandy (not pictured). Jenny's cat, Hadji, didn't have an apron so wasn't allowed to help. He thought he could make do with the cute Santa costume, but we were firm: This is a girl's only tradition in Jenny's family that pre-dates Jenny's birth. It's her great grandmother's recipe that was made every Christmas. I was honored to be included this year!

photo IMG-20131222-00397_zps33f8d117.jpg

photo IMG-20131222-00391_zps29657dcd.jpg

o

sending best wishes for today.....

o

Took a walk yesterday and was waiting for Dracula to emerge from the mist. Really warm air from the south hit the snow on the ground and created snow fog...it hangs at ground level, while it's clear up above. Very unusual.

o

I have one similar to Annie's, of a snowy little birch clump in my back yard a few weeks ago. The snow clung to the tiniest branches.

photo Snowonthebirch120713001Small_zps126ffcd3.jpg

And the shed and picnic table last Wednesday.
 photo Yard121813with9inchesoffreshsnowontopofthe12003Small_zps8608c22b.jpg

o

Our lights, after a major ice storm in Texas. The driveway and street was like a skating rink, we couldn't leave for four days.

o

No beautiful winter pictures here-we have rain. Love everyone else's photos, though-especially your grandbaby, badgergirl, and your Santa cat, javachik! The trees are lovely, the ice storm magical, the snow enviable, and the snow fog very cool, the strudel making cozy and heartwarming. It would be difficult to pick a favorite. Each and everyone makes me smile.

Alas, I can't even show you an indoor tree this year since I live with Scroogie-boy who always needs to be cajoled into buying a tree. He doesn't like the needles dropping in the house and I decided not to argue. Neither one of us wants an artificial tree. Next year, however, we will have a tree again-I miss having it and the gardenia with lights just doesn't cut it! Can't hang ornaments on it either. ;)

o

Merry Christmas everyone :D and Blessings for a Happy New Year.

o

We didn't get a tree put up this year, and our winter wonderland is gone, now back to they typical PNW winter (gray and drizzly-not a pretty time of year), but I did manage to make up some friend & neighbor gifts.

DH likes how they make my office look so festive. I'm definitely going to decorate early next year-I've got glitter fever!

o

Just watching the weather for Quebec from here in Winterpeg and things don't look good. I'm guessing that a hospital is the best place to be on such a stormy day. At least you should have power there. Wishing your family the best of luck and lots of heat :-)

o

Last night my daughter's and I went to see the Boston Ballet's Nutcracker. It's a family tradition, but the part that has changed is what we do ahead of time. Here are our martini's at The Rustic Kitchen, where "The Cooking Show" is filmed.

o

Hoping I see this again for Christmas. Rainy and cold today.

photo 100_4429.jpg

o

We have been working with a local school on a bicycling curriculum as part of our grant to improve walkability and bikeability. It went super well, and many kids improved their skills, and some even learned to ride for the first time. We borrowed bikes from the city to do the curriculum, but they have a fabulous PE teacher who was able to get a donation of 30 bikes from a local sporting goods store to use at the school, so now the program can be sustainable. We just need to multiply this by other schools now, but this is a great start.

So, this is the assembly where the bikes were awarded. We were there from our grant staff, the Mayor, the people from the sporting goods store, the Safe Routes to School coordinator. The kids are in pajamas because that is apparently what they do the last day before Christmas. Even the teachers had their PJ's on.

photo 4F609292-8E07-4AD2-A560-039E21213538.jpg

o

Unfortunately, we are spending the holidays in post-tonsillectomy HELL with our 20 yo DD. Here she is on the couch with one doggie, ice packs wrapped around her ears and throat Alfalfa-style. I knew it would be bad, but she is in absolute agony. Highest dose of pain meds around the clock every 4 hours! I am worn to a nub physically and mentally. Anyway, I know it will pass but it's hard when your child is in pain and you feel helpless! Hope everyone has a great holiday. The snow pics are beautiful!

o

Texanjana, one of my undergrads had the same surgery around this time last year, and she told me it pretty much ruined her holidays. Hope she feels better soon!

o

What else... a picture of the Kees, of course. :-) Happy Holidays!

o

Kees, a "Kodak moment" for sure. Sweet pup with visions of dog biscuits in her eyes.

o

Santa sent me helpers today. Here are my grandson (on left) and his best friend. I am so fortunate. These boys are doing a really fantastic job.

o

Our family get-together table...

o

I just love the snow and ice pictures. Nice to admire from afar. Wish I had some grandchildren to snuggle. Such pretty decorations, especially Cyn's gardenia tree.

Here's my mom with the tv she got for Christmas. We gave it to her early so it could be set up before things get too hectic. She said it is nice to be able to see people's faces. She couldn't see them on her tiny 12 inch screen. No one could. She is 96.

o

Aw, Ded, your mom is adorable. Jeepers, I hope we look so good at 96. Heck, I hope I an still standing when I am 96! Merry Christmas to her!

o

ded - Your mother is stunning! You're sooooo lucky to have her with you!

o

dedtired - You are truly blessed. Have a merry Christmas all.

o

Here is my MIL who turned 103 on Dec 17. She still lives at home but does have some help during the day.

o

Such beautiful, strong looking women...I hope I will wear my age half as well!

o

Indeed, bravo to these women !! so nice to see.

Our little Brooklyn Gia was born at 11 a.m. as scheduled, 8 lb 10 on.
A happy slice of my life today indeed !!
We have a xmas outfit for her to wear on wednesday.
For today we let her chill in her hospital blankets.

o

Wow -- newborn to 103. Now that is a slice of life!

Brooklyn is gorgeous. Congratulations.

Denali, I can't believe your mil is 103 and lives at home. I would not be surprised if my mother makes it to that age. Her uncle lived to 106.

o

Santa's snack is waiting for him.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

o

Beautiful baby mitchdesi!

Merry Christmas everyone.

o

Gorgeous pictures, everyone! Hope you have a very special day full of laughter and joy. I've just filled the stockings and am off to my winter's nap.

o

Love all the photos.

Mitch you always look so chic! Congratulations on the new grand baby. That's a nice name.

Merry Christmas everyone!

o

Mitch, what a beautiful & treasured Christmas Gift this year.

o

So many great pictures and stories.

Riverhouse, there is something about the picture of the 2 boys wrapping that just makes me happy.

mitch, adorable!

We are just back from 3 days at the lake with my 81 year old mom. She lives on the edge of a 100 acre wood that she protects like a momma bear and knows better than she knows her own kids. It was -17 and loads of snow. We bundled up well and went walking through the woods and out on the lake at least 3 times each day (and night!) The first night at about 9pm my made the first call for a walk (did I mention she's 81). We went out on the lake and the kids and I had trouble keeping up with her. I think it's hilarious that my brother (who lives with her) won't let her drive any more, but thinks nothing of her going out on an hour long walk in -16 F. weather with just the dog for company. And I am so glad that she can still do this - no matter the weather.

o

OT - Mitch! Is that your new PB fur throw I spy?

o

thanks Shee ! no, that's a cheap fleece blanket DD bought to cover the cracked vynil chair she slept on at the hospital, lol…

o

Merry Christmas, day after….loved seeing all the photos. Thought I would share this one~ My Mom is 92 and flies to see us in SW Florida every year from Texas. I think every year that she is doing better than the year before! We are very fortunate to have her here with us during the holidays. Loved seeing all the snow pictures, but thrilled to be in Florida where it is sunny and warm.

o

Congrats Mitchdesi!
Gina, your mom looks amazing, and you do too!

o

Congrats Mitchdesi! Your little one is so sweet and mama is so pretty. My DD was born at 12:10 pm on Dec 23, thirty three years ago. She has been the greatest blessing in my life. I am wishing you and your lovely daughter the same joy that my DD and I share!!!

PS: On the day we took her home the nurses brought her to us put in a giant red Christmas stocking!

o

thanks for all your good words !! I enjoyed all the posts on this thread, such fun to see what you are all up to and your loved ones.

here's an updated at home picture of Brooklyn, she is almost 4 days old now.

o

She is so pretty! Here is mine.....

photo 524028_10201214156859746_1737851441_n_zps7f34fe99.jpg

We had overlapping Au Pairs as we transitioned and due to holidays. I have to admit - although I was worried about the overlap, it was so helpful during the holidays. We have had such wonderful experiences with our Au pairs. I highly recommend it as an option if you need care for your kids. I am sure it depends on where you live and costs of Day care and live out nannies, etc, and for sure it is not for everyone to have someone live in your house, but we have had the bests experiences!

I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays.

o

Congrats, Mitch! Beautiful little girl. Our niece had a little girl born on Monday, as well.

I love seeing all these happy family pics.

Here's our little 7 year old princess granddaughter, sick with flu on Christmas morn.

o

This is how I'm enjoying my post-Christmas days. Relaxing here in my living room in front of the tree with a nice cup of hot tea.
Lynn
My Relaxing Post-Christmas Morning photo LazySundayMorning_zps57b0dfa3.jpg

o

Since I never had girls, I'm having a blast playing with my granddaughter!

o

I always enjoy these threads. Coming in to late to comment on all so I'll just say I enjoyed the snow and newborn to 103 year old Mom pictures. What a glorious thread!
Here's our almost nine month old granddaughter on Santa's lap. If you look close you can see Santa has on his Christmas Hawaiian shirt. Sleeveless and barefoot is not something I've seen before when setting on Santa's lap but when the temps are in the high 70's that's how you dress.

o

Oakleyok,
Can you tell me the name of that doll castle , also do the triple beds come with it or is that part of another set.
Thanks

o

Today my 12 yo daughter was a "ball kid" for the Celtics. She is a huge fan so this was very exciting! Here she is during pre-game (when she was on the court with official ball boys and team players for two hours) when someone passed her the ball and she made a basket! Very fun afternoon.

o

Lyban, the castle is from "Melissa and Doug," and I think Santa got it at Amazon. It's wood and very sturdy, and opens up. Link below.

The little animals are called "Calico Critters." My DGD adores them! I bought the "triplets," and their triplet bunkbeds are sold separately. The beds came with their own bedding! I'm definitely buying more.

Look at all the critters on Amazon. You'll be amazed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Castle

This post was edited by oakleyok on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 8:29

o

Thanks Oakleyok,

I did find the castle and now I am off to find the critters.
As you can see I am also enjoying my grand daughter .
Such fun.

o

Sueb, that is so exciting for your granddaughter. Well, for the whole family. Looks like she's got her eye on the ball.

o

Ded, that's my DAUGHTER, not granddaughter. Oh, my. Not yet, please.

It was super fun for all of us. She was on the court with the team for two hours before the game, then again at half time. They took a family pic of us at mid court. We had four court side seats. And she got a basketball signed by all the players. When we first won this at an auction last spring, DH and I were so pleased with ourselves thinking OMG, she's gonna loooove this (she's a huge Celtics fan) and when we told her, she said, "uh, I don't think so." She is a bit shy. But that was several months ago and by the time the big day arrived, she was very excited!

o

Here is the odd and beautiful sunset over Lake Ontario last night, haven't seen one like that before, it went from orange to pink to red, just beautiful.

photo 048-6.jpg

o

I have enjoyed these threads so much this year. This one is especially great. Here's my picture, nothing too fab, but as we said when they were started it's just a slice of what is going on....

I just removed these and returned all of them. Yep, 5 different curtain panels, all in a too-short 84" length, only here for me to make a decision on which one to use. Notice the painters tape holding them up....that stuff is great!

(I picked the 2nd from the left. The fact that they were on clearance helped out a little with the decision too, but I did like them the best).

o

What a beautiful sunset SandyPonder.

Beethose are the ones I'd have picked too. Great way to make a choice.

I posted this on another thread but it really fits here as a slice of life. Our daughter and family lives in Hawaii so we came to spend Christmas with them this year so of course had to spend Christmas day on the beach.

o

This is what snow blowing in 12 degree weather with 25 mph wind gusts looks like...and for those of you who were wondering, yes, I do actually have a head!
;)

o

You are a brave lass to take a stroll today! Im in DC area and it was 15 driving into work today at 9....our birch tree had dumped a pile of snow on my car as I pulled out and some did not blow off while driving so I stood outside at work this morning in the windy weather shoveling the snow away from the wipers so they wouldnt get stuck for the ride home...brrrr...would have never considered taking a walk!!

o

I finally uploaded some photos. This is a typical shot of our dog when there isn't any sun coming in the house. She likes the most cushy spot in the house at any given time...and we do cover our sofa! :)

photo image_zps4ee77d7c.jpg

o

1929Spanish, that is one of the most adorable dog shots ever...and I'm not even a dog person. She apparently thinks she's a cat!

o

Thanks olychick. She's lucky she's so cute because she is the meanest dog I ever had. Wants to eat almost everyone AND their silly dogs too! She should be about 10 by now and she is a little better with people she sees often, but still unpredictable.

o

Babies and other kids, cat, dogs, beautiful scenery, and a look indoors ... thanks for sharing and letting me take a peak at your lives.

o

Sueb, oops -- your daughter of course! I recently posted a picture of my sister, my brother and me from the 1950s on Facebook. People thought my sister was my mother! Teenagers looked like mini-adults back then. My sister would have been furious. LOL.

These pictures are all so wonderful. Annie, you were brave to go out for that walk. I shoveled about 16 tons of snow today, but no pics.

o

joanie and dedtired, the only walking I did was behind the snow blower or the shovel....it was freakin' cold out there and getting colder tonight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here