Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think of BM's Decatur Buff?

Posted by haley_comet (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 11:38

I am trying to get a grasp on Decatur Buff I think I really like it but I may be seeing a slight greeny undertone to it in my LR (mind you this is from a swatch card not a test sample on the wall - which I will be doing).

I am not one for very light colors so do you think this as a mid tone or does it look darker once on the walls.

Would love to hear your opinion on DB also if you have another suggestion of a BM color similiar you think I should consider that is great also.

Right now I have Northampton Putty on my walls - nice color but my room doesn't have alot of light at some points of day making it not the best color for my space.
Also in my ajoining hallway I have BM Dijon so I have to make sure my LR isn't too too yellow and totally blend with the Dijon.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Haley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think of BM's Decatur Buff?

I had Decatur Buff painted as my "neutral" in a past house. It was very beautiful and did not read too green at all. The only time I felt I saw a greenish undertone was in very low lights, but that was fine with me since I had olive and reds throughout the house that complimented the DB.

o

Did you see newhomebuilder's photo, she has decatur buff, looks beautiful. I may consider this paint color if I repaint at some point. I think it goes well as naptimerocks said, with reds and olive tones.

o

Thanks to both of you.

Naptimerocks: (BTW I love your name and I could not agree more!!) Perhaps I saw that green because at points my room can seem low light.

Roseabbey - yes I saw NHB's pictures - they were one of the reasons I feel in love with the color but I always kinda question the accuracy of pics on a computer but I do love love love the color in her home!

o

I'm going to try to paste in a link to my Decatur Buff kitchen and dining room. It sometimes does have a slightly green undertone, but I do love it.

Here's the kitchen:

Photobucket

And dining room:

dining room

Sorry the pics are big and a little fuzzy! Not sure how to correct that.

o

Here are pictures of Decatur Buff in my home. I love it. I don't see green undertones in it, just a rich neutral color.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow, you really can't tell anything from the last picture.

I have it in my DD bathroom-definately washed out in the first photo but pretty accurate in the second photo of mine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That color Decatur Buff looks really nice. For those of you who have used it before, does it work as a good neutral in a home that has creamy yellow, sagey green, and burgundy color scheme throughout? I am considering using Decatur Buff as well for all the common areas of my house but have rooms that are in yellow/sage with burgundy accents.

o

peytonroad - That doesn't look like DB at all! Looks like my Putnam Ivory. Here:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Decatur Buff (Yes, on occasion, it does have a slight greenish tint. I think the darker the room, the darker the paint)
Photobucket

o

Excuse the threadjack...
newhomebuilder, may I ask what the height of the makeup counter area is compared to the sink countertop? I'd love one of these *sit down* areas someday, thanks!

o

I have it in my office/den. Love the color: it is very rich. I'm afraid this picture doesn't look true to its actual look.
Photobucket

o

its so funny how the color looks different in every picture! :D

here is an older pic of our great room - we are in arizona and no window treatments at the time, so this is direct sunlight. but all i have right now, sorry.

Photobucket

we keep the house quite dark now, and i would say the color shows a little darker than in newhomebuilders pics. it is a VERY rich color!

o

NIce color, reminds me of Restoration Hardware Latte, which I just painted my living room.

o

haley, I took some more pics today so you can see how it looks in a darker more mild light.

you can see in the first picture - on the left where the shadows are, there is the greenish undertone. hope this helps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my post and to also post some new pictures - thats so great.

It really is a beautiful color - I think I am over analyzing it as it is a color different from what I normally choose.

I normally paint deffinate colors and not so much the neutrals but I thought for my livingroom I would try to find a mid tone warmish goldish tan that would be more versitile to work with as I like to change my decor and don't want to be held stuck to a certain color on my walls anymore...but like I said this is a new way for me.

Karen - that second photo you posted with DB in a lower light room is a big selling point for me. It looks so good in those photos. Thanks for taking the time to do that for me.

One other thing I noticed in many of the photos of how well DB paired with the darker wood tones which is exactly what is in my livingroom. They really compliment eachother.

Looking at Indygo's and Newhomebuilders pictures I can see that the color really glows in lamp lit rooms - beautiful pictures.

I think I need to stop thinking so much and have that be the color of choice - you all seem to really love it.

Also thanks to the photos I was able to show the pictures to my husband and he said "wow I love that color" which is amazing because he is a tough sell so thanks.

Once my fireplace install is complete (another week or two) I will paint and post pictures of the final product.

If any other members have pictures bring em on!

All the best
Haley

o

Haley: You're right about the richness of the color by lamplight. Here's another pic:

Antique brooch on lamp

o

Thanks Indygo girl. So nice - I love the color!

I am going to get a sample jar or big chip tomorrow - now I just need to assess how 'yellow' it will look in my room as the adjoining room is Dijon and I don't want them to look too yellowy - I just don't want the two rooms to blend too much together and all look like a big yellow space.

o

catkin - Sorry that I am just seeing your question. I am tall (5.9") so I had the vanity and make-up area made a little higher than normal.

Make-up area - from the floor to the bottom of the drawer base is just under 26" and to the top of the granite is 33"

The height of the vanity is 35".

o

I am curious to those who have DB in their homes I understand that DB has an LRV of 41.43 but in looking at the various photos it is hard to gage how dark it paints.

Would you consider this color to be on the darker side?

My little girl is under the weather so I have not had the chance to get a sample jar yet!!

o

I'd say medium - not too light and not too dark. it does have a hint of gold and green, though.

For comparison, I will post my family room, and then a Traditional Tan (ICI) from my sons room. Both have windows facing south.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Thanks NHB - those are great comparison shots. Your home is beautiful.

o
I did it!

Thanks again everyone for their input on my color for my livingroom.

I just arrived home with a can of Decatur Buff and I can't wait to paint!

My mainfloor is turning into various rooms of yellow but I love the color so what the heck! Right?

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Haley

o

Thanks again everyone for their input on my color for my livingroom.
I just arrived home with a can of Decatur Buff and I can't wait to paint!

My mainfloor is turning into various rooms of yellow but I love the color so what the heck! Right?

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Haley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here