Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite decorating magazine?

Posted by Violet.West (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 11:31

I know we recently had a thread about regional magazines, but I'm wondering about regular, print decor mags -- which is your favorite? Architectural Digest? House Beautiful? Elle Decor? or . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite decorating magazine?

Elle Decor & Veranda

o

Veranda and House Beautiful and Traditional Home

o

I think it would currently be Dwell. Used to be House Beautiful when I was more interested in traditional and transitional design.

o

Architectural Digest.

o

Style at Home

o

ooh, I never heard of the last one.

I like Dwell too, but I find in latest years that it's slightly repetitive; and despite the hype, I don't see the prefab industry really taking flight.

o

Phoenix Home & Garden; Architectural Digest; House Beautiful

o

Architectural Digest, Atomic Ranch & Antique Collecting.

Antique Collecting is a British magazine. Although not strictly a decor magazine, it has great articles on antique and vintage furniture and decor items - styles, eras, usage in historical interiors, restoration, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Collecting Magazine

o

Elle Decoration UK
Living Etc. (UK)
Arts & Decoration (France)

I try to like dwell, but I'm usually underwhelmed.

o

For some reason I'm not keen on any decorating magazines anymore. A friend gave me Dwell as a gift and to me it is just OK. I used to like a magazine called Home Style but that stopped being published some years ago. I've also never heard of Style at a Home...looking forward to checking it out.

o

Currently House Beautiful, although I like the general direction of Architectural Digest with Margaret Russell at the helm.

I don't really consider Dwell a decorating magazine--to me it's more of a design/architecture magazine and almost an anti-décor magazine.

o

I think HB does a very good job of showing rooms that are somewhat aspirational but not "out there" in terms of style or accessibility.

I used to love any of the UK mags, but I don't travel there regularly anymore and I don't see them out here in the burbs.

I do like CT Cottages and Gardens, because they show looks that (surprise) would fit well in my home.

All that said, shelter mags are not the guilty pleasures they once were. There is so much more to see online.

o

Like joanieponie, I have no favorite as I'm not impressed in the direction they all seem to be taking. Too much trending for my taste, as well as a sameness from month to month. Nothing jumps out at me anymore, but maybe it's that I'm happy and content with my own style.

o

Not what you asked, but online I like Matchbook and Lonny. Has a mix of lifestyle and decor, but I really like the decor they have.

In print, sometimes my Costco gets some Canadian decor mags that have been quite good. (and I am in Kansas City, go figure!)

o

You can get subscriptions to the European decor mags online, through Zinio or iTunes, quite a bit cheaper than buying hard copies, which I still do from time to time. European mags here are over $10 an issue, much less for the digital versions.

Agree that quite a bit can be found on-line now.

o

Let's see:

Magazines that arrive In The Door:

Veranda
House Beautiful
Traditional Home
The English Home
Country Living

o

Atomic Ranch? sounds cool.

This thread was inspired by a current issue of House Beautiful. For a long time I think HB was pretty lame, but I was really impressed by the current issue.

o

One of the treats I buy myself when I travel out of the country is magazines. When I was younger, it was fashion so I have French Vogue from 1987 - scary!

I love UK House and Garden, French Arts and Decoration and all of the other funky magazines I pick up. This last trip I came home with Maison Cote Sud from France and Ville & Casali from Italy - both are really nice.

I miss Cottage Living. That was my all time favorite.

Right now I subscribe to House Beautiful.

o

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I don't subscribe to any at this time, but used to love Met Home. I had A&D and House Beautiful as well. At least the last two are still at home. I should check out the others.

o

I no longer have any subscriptions to magazines altho occasionally buy "Style at Home", "House and Home", and "Country Living".

I look at magazines online more than in print.

o

I forgot about Metropolitan Home. I loved that one...

o

This Old House. I don't have an old house, but I like their stuff.

o

Garden Web Home Decorating

o

As noted by others, I too have fallen off the decorating magazine wagon. I used to have subscriptions to HB, TH, CL, CH, BHG, Victoria & Home Companion but some were discontinued and I haven't cared for the direction of the rest.

Right now I keep a subscription to CL only because the cost of the subscription is less than what I would pay for 4 issues per year just in case I would see something interesting.

Maybe it's because w/ their help I've finally developed a style that is me so I'm not 'looking' to them so much for inspiration anymore but to catch a glimpse of what's new and happening so that I can appreciate it or for the random 'something' that I may like and want to incorporate somehow.

I also have my 2 movies that I think sum up my style more than any magazine and I'd rather watch clips from them.

o

I currently subscribe to Architectural Digest,Traditional Home and House Beautiful. I like the direction that Newell Turner has taken HB, since he took the reins in 2012. When I get in the new house, I'll renew my subscription to Veranda.

I really really miss Southern Accents!

o

I'm like Mtn., I'm not into mags anymore since we have so much more on the Internet. I have a stack of current magazines that I haven't touched in months. I'm saving them until I can read them all. Who am I kidding? I won't read them! lol

However, there is one mag I recently subscribed to for accessories and ideas more up my alley. HGTV's magazine. It's so colorful and uplifting, and they list the websites where items can be bought.

It's also chalk full of decorating information that's easy to understand, short and sweet.

Below is the magazine website. Scroll down to see one of the covers they used. All of their covers are inviting.

Funny though, I can't stand HGTV television shows! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV magazine

o

Oh wait! There is one that I can't wait to get in the mail every month - Southern Living!

o

Style at Home is Canadian. Another good Canadian one to look for is Canadian House and Home. When I could afford it, I used to buy the UK decorating magazines, but lately I find they are a bit blah - as if they are trying to imitate the N. American mags.

I've noticed that a lot of the photos in decor mags have taken on a weird hue. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it is as if they were all taken with a slightly sepia lens and somehow one dimensional - very sterile, flat and boring.

o

Am I the only one who likes Better Homes and Gardens? I know it's kinda like 'your mother's decorating magazine' but I find that it often has ideas for real people who don't want to spend $5,000 on an ottoman. And I like the recipes and entertaining stuff, too.

I used to like Domino...

But like others have said, I refer to online sources much more these days.

o

Mom gave me a Southern Living subscription every year for years. Finally, I asked her not to any more. I used to love the decorating articles and a bit of the food articles, but it got so advertising heavy that i just gave up on it. The last issue I looked at had hardly any decorating text, and the recipes were all things I had seen before.

o

I like BH&G - because more of it looks possible within my energy and budget. More compatible with children and dogs than most magazine decor.

I don't subscribe now though - 10-15 minutes leafing through at the library suffices.

o

Currently receiving HB and Southern Living... call me old-fashioned but one of my favorite things is to sit down with a good magazine. I feel that way about books as well.

o

sueb20, yes, I subscribe to BHG (also for some good recipes). While I adore Arch. Digest, I don't subscribe anymore. It was just eye-candy, gasp-y stuff, nothing remotely akin to anything in my life.

I also Sunset. It's really a West Coast mag, out of the South Bay. Stuff looks like where I live. My only complaint is there's definitely a MCM trend which just isn't my thing.

o

Enjoy hgtv mag and bh&g. Would love to hear about the English home magazine...

o

Foxes - Are you referring to commercial movies that have been released? Sounds intriguing - would you share?

Good topic - I've just dropped several non-decor magazines that I had been getting for years. They seem to have fewer pages and more ads and just not worth the money. I think I'll check our House Beautiful.

o

Sorry but I don't like bhg. I subscribe because its so cheap, but I always find its my least favorite go to out of the bunch. I did drop Elle decor as it was too modern for my taste. I do get AD for the eye candy.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 10:27

o

Quick note for this thread--I spent some time on the Lonny site, and found a useful feature in the "Photos" section where you can filter the rooms by style. Helpful feature--more manageable than Houzz, and more immediate gratification than waiting for monthly shelters to arrive.

o

Veranda
House Beautiful
Traditional Home
The English Home
Country Living
Southern Living

Same as Tea Cats list with the addition of Southern Living for its Christmas and cooking ideas. I have omitted Romantic Homes recently as it appears to be redundant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here