Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennisknight

Putting a Hammock in My Bedroom

tennisknight
9 years ago

I'm a single guy and I've wanted to put a hammock in my bedroom for a while now, but haven't yet because I'm not sure where to screw the two bolts that are needed to make it work. My room is roughly 12 feet by 28 feet wide and 8 feet high.

Any suggestions on how high and where on the wall the bolts should be anchored?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why not just get a free-standing hammock? Otherwise, get a stud finder and have at it.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

As Tibbrix said, you need to find the studs. I don't think stud finders are expensive, but I'd try to borrow from someone.

My sister and I travelled extensively in Guatemala and Mexico when we were in our 20s and she loved sleeping in hammocks - I hated it. When we returned, she hung hammocks in her rooms for herself and her kids.

Sorry, but I can't remember how high she hung them.

Can't figure out how to embed it here in the message, but there is a great poster I think you should hang in your room that says, "Hammocks are nets for catching lazy people."

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The location and the height will largely be determined by the type of hammock you purchase. When I installed my hammock on the lanai, the hooks were at least 5' above the ground, yet when I got in the hammock I was only about 12" off the ground because of the stretch of the ropes. If you want to be higher and not curled like a pretzel the hooks need to be further apart and higher.

For reference this hammock stand positions the hooks 180" apart. That means the hooks are 15' apart.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I would expect many hammocks would have instructions on how high to optimally hang them. As mentioned, some are going to stretch, but you want them to be at a height that you can climb into. Definitely pick up a stud finder and make sure you anchor into the studs so that you don't find yourself unceremoniously dropped on your bum in the middle of the night.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

Ithink i would hang it on a corner with most of the length extending down the long wall... (rather than to span the 12' distance)-- but that would depend on what other furniture you have in the room. make sure you use bolts heavy enough to hold your weight! I think how high you hang it will depend partly on how tall you are- I don't like hammocks that hang really low...

• tennisknight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help! I now know to put the bolts at the highest possible spot and what angle I need to place them!

Ya'll are AWESOME! :)