Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Christmas 2012 Decoratiions - Part 2

nhb22
11 years ago

We reached our limit on the other thread, so thought I would start a Part 2. I will post a link (below) to the first thread for those that have not read/seen it and I have also repeated my response from the other thread, which happened to be the last post. This in case annz doesn't see my answer to her question.

annz - The spoons are in a simple shadow box from Michael's or from any other craft store. The back and sides are lined with a short napped fuzzy board. The spoons stick on with velcro that I believe came with the frame. Surprisingly, in the 10 years since they have been framed, I have never had to take them out and polish them. However, a few have follen down, like the one on the bottom left.

OK, start posting your decor. And lets not forget our Homemade Gift giving pictures and suggestions for this year. Not sure if we should start a separate thread for that, or post here. Suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 1

Comments (61)

• texasbet
    11 years ago

Whitdobe, I love your pretty canine baby.

Allison, I think our nativity scenes are very similar.

Kitchen Island:

Living Room:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Shall we throw a groaner in with all the lovely pics? What does Christmas and a cat on the beach have in common?

Sandy claws!!!!

• pps7
    11 years ago

Allison,

I love all of your decor!

I have a couple of question - any ideas on how to hang a wreath on our front door without damaging the door?

How do you add ribbon to our tree?

Thanks!

• texasbet
    11 years ago

LOL! Love it, Annie.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

It always amazes me when people get their pets to pose by the tree. I have 3 dogs and none of them are disciplined enough to pose for me. This is as close as I got with several tries, including attempts with our French bulldog, who seems to think the tree is after her. This is our "middle child," who is not doing too well physically these days (um, though she does look better IRL).

• franksmom_2010
    11 years ago

Whitdobe, I have always loved your living room, but it's even more stunning with that tree! Just really, really lovely! And your dog is a sweetheart!

We finally (!!!) got the mantel cut, refinished, and installed. Just in time for Christmas!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very pretty, y'all. I see some past favorites along with new.

whitdobe - What type of dog is a BC? I am in love! Also, what type of camera did you use to make those photos?

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Thank you. PPS7, I used tiny nails. Small enough to fit in picture hanger. I bought a small box years ago and decided just to bite the bullet. I don't even notice them the other 11 months of the year.

Ribbon... you are too kind! lol I start at the top, and go "so far" then pinch and wrap a tree end and do it over again. Then cut ribbon length when you get to the bottom. I rerolled to reuse this year. Not as perfect this year, but still pretty! lol

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

BC = Border Collie

• ttodd
    11 years ago

So many gorgeous displays and decor by GW members!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah...a Border Collie. Should have known that. I had a BC/Corgie mix for many years. Best dog ever..even better than my JRT Riley. I have never seen a brown BC, though.

TheFoxesPad - Love your decor!

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Here are some of mine. No room for the big tree here in this place so I have downsized decor.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Here he is at 15 years old on his birthday. Now he is just a bit over 16 1/2 years old. Love him!!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EG3d - He reminds me of my Oreo. We had him for 17 years before he was sent to a place of rest and comfort.

Love your little tree!

• sharonann z5 Ont
    11 years ago

My Mom made these out of plastic canvas.

• sharonann z5 Ont
    11 years ago

Part of my mantel

• sharonann z5 Ont
    11 years ago

Xmas doily

• whitdobe
    11 years ago

Everyone has such lovely decorations. What a great wreath! Love the large ornaments! Alison, there are so many things I love about your decorations. The trees, Franksmom's mantle. All wonderful!!!

Yes, Jovi is a little red Border Collie girl. Black/white Border Collies are what most folks are familiar with but, BC's do come in other colors. I used a Canon T1i camera to take those photos. It's a digital SLR but a fairly inexpensive one. (Well, as inexpensive as a DSLR gets!)

I love the photos of everyone's canine companions!!!

SueB20 and anyone else who may wonder, I can tell you an easy way to take good photos of your dog in front of a tree. First train them to sit on something. This year I used a footstool and I don't have a photo that it shows up in. Last year I used a chair and I'll put a copy of that here so you can see it. Anyway, Jovi learns that sitting on the chair/footstool/whatever earns her treats so she's very HAPPY to get up on the chair/footstool. That serves multiple purposes. It "lifts" her higher so that the tree is fuller and full of ornaments behind her, it keeps her in one "spot" (on the chair/footstool) instead of getting up to wander around and it usually puts a great expression on her face because she knows she's on the chair/footstool and that there will be a treat coming any second! You can do this by yourself but I will admit that the training process is easier if you have someone to help�.one person photographing and the other doling out treats.

This was last year'.and Jovi looks very puppyish because she was.

She's matured a lot. Another from this year:

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

whitdobe, Very impressive that your home looks so immaculate with a long-haired dog around!

Lovely decorations, everyone! I have enjoyed looking at them so much.

• pfmastin
    11 years ago

I think your Jovi is the most photogenic dog I've *ever* seen. What a beautiful girl!

• sam_md
    11 years ago

pps7 asked how to hang a wreath on our front door without damaging the door?
    This is the entrance to Hammond-Harwood House in Annapolis. In architectural circles this is a notable entrance for a variety of reasons. A metal strap hangs down from the top and holds the wreath. That way they don't have to drive nails in the door.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I use wide ribbon and staple to the top edge of the door.

whitdobe - I have an SLR camera but cannot get such a bright clear picture like yours. In fact, I cannot get a clear bright photo of Riley with any camera. She is always on the move, and I shake too much trying to catch her. lol

Now I remember the photo of your dog from last year. Yes, she has grown. Your tips work pretty well in getting the dog to cooperate. My Riley was stubborn this year, however. She heard the word "treat" and she was halfway off the chair and to the pantry before the camera shutter finished it's rotation. Getting impatient in her old age.

Photo from two years ago.

Here is this years photo.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Here is Duncan when he was a MUCH younger dog. He is very handsome.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful dog!

I think we got off track with the dogs, but that's my fault. How about more deco or gift ideas?

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Still working on decorating for Christmas so here are a few more. I was very disappointed in the pics. What I see through my eye is not what is coming across through the lens today & I'm tired of trying today. Our main tree looks as though Christmas threw up on it but it's fun and ever evolving into my kids dream of a peppermint tree. Sorry no pic of that today. Maybe never. Lol!

I always tend to end up decorating everything else very peaceful and not super Christmasy but more Winter. Probably because it takes me so darn long to get them up. It's also usually very simple. I like greens here and there and stuff. I use a lot of fruit because it's pretty, my palette and so that it's always w/in my kids eyes and reach (hint, hint kids!).

My favorite Christmas pillow whose palette I adore:

A few figurines:

The whole tiny room (socks, dog toys and all under the table):

Wreath at window. It has white flowers in it and a green ribbon:

Clearly I am still deciding wall color - that's not some fancy paint job!

Oh yeah, and the inside of that book case will be painted white. Someday.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Bac717 - my parents have the same acrylic tree with miniature ornaments! Here are two trees. Merry Christmas everyone.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

pps......you probably have your wreath hung by now but my suggestion would be to hang the wreath with a ribbon, then tack the end of the ribbon to the top edge of the door. It won't damage the top of the door and the nails are never seen. If the door has a tight fit, use flat-head nails/tacks.

I've used the hangers like Sam showed, but the weather stripping on some doors make using them impossible.

• msrose
    11 years ago

Sorry, I just have one more off topic question for Whitdobe! Do you take your picture on the automatic setting or do you set the aperature/f stops? Just wondering if it's the camera or the photographer that makes your pictures so great since I'm looking for a new camera :)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I looked here because I saw someone had decorated her paper/cardboard deer head. It must have been on a different thread and don't think I can post there.

This gave me a good laugh this morning and thought she would enjoy:

âÂÂStuffed deer heads on walls are bad enough,
    but itâÂÂs worse when they are wearing dark glasses
    and have streamers in their antlers
    because then you know
    they were enjoying themselves at a party
    when they were shot.âÂÂ
    ~ Ellen DeGeneres

• lizzard2you
    11 years ago

Here are a few more pix for the collection....Happy Holidays to all!

Parlor tree:

Mancave tree:

Family room mantel:

This post was edited by lizzard2you on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 13:40

• whitdobe
    11 years ago

"Sorry, I just have one more off topic question for Whitdobe! Do you take your picture on the automatic setting or do you set the aperature/f stops? Just wondering if it's the camera or the photographer that makes your pictures so great since I'm looking for a new camera :)"

I do both. I'm not an exceptionally good photographer but I'm working on it. Sometimes I work with the camera on manual and sometimes I use it on full automatic. The photos above, I think are a combo. It's not me, it's the camera. I'm using a Canon T1i which is an older Canon Rebel series but, it does everything I wanted it too plus, since it was an older model and didn't
    Have all the bells and whistles the newer models have, it was significantly less expensive than the newer models.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Here are photos of my decorations. My DD took photos for my business facebook page.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

closeup of dining table

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

my ironstone tureens

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Handmade ornament, vintage music sheets

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Bookshelf>

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Living room mantel

• chucksmom
    11 years ago

Cooperbailey, I love your table. Where did you find that wonderful silver garland? I've had no luck. Thanks.

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

It was a gift from one of the retail partners where I have my booth. I hadn't seen them anywhere else. I guess that didn't help much.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Cooperbailey, next year I'm going to be searching for a silver garland and try to copy your table. It's stunning!

FP, your LR is so comfy looking. I would love to go shopping in your house. lol. I actually like the white walls.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

My DR Chandelier

There is a wreath at each window w/ pink, teal and bright green ribbon draped through and cascading down

DR Table

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Love, love all the beautiful decorations! And kids too in the previous thread. Such a wonderful variety of styles. Allison, I love your decor. Due to an unexpected business trip, I didn't get much decorated this year, but managed to throw a few things together before I left and finally have time to post. Our family room tree is pretty much a 'family history' of things we like, trips, etc.

{{!gwi}}

Dining room table centerpiece

{{!gwi}}

Mantle. I will supplement with some fresh cut pine later tomorrow before the crowd of family arrives.

• movin-on
    11 years ago

My neighbor and I decorated our community club house. We placed wreaths in all the windows, 36 windows, with a simple red bow. We tackled the non-functioning water fountain, it turned out spectacular!
    âÂÂ
    Hope you like the pics

• movin-on
    11 years ago

Our club house interior .....

We took the old tree, slipped in some pine 'picks' to freshen up the tree.
    Found in an antique shop a bunch of peacock feathers which became the inspiration for the club house mantel and tree topper.

We had a ball! There are more photos in the link below.
    Merry Christmas everyone

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from last years -- Itss still as pretty!

• movin-on
    11 years ago

Our club house interior .....

We took the old tree, slipped in some pine 'picks' to freshen up the tree.
    Found in an antique shop a bunch of peacock feathers which became the inspiration for the club house mantel and tree topper.

We had a ball! There are more photos in the link below.
    Merry Christmas everyone

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from last years -- Itss still as pretty!

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

This little tree is out all year long.

• Debbie Laird
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas!

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

such pretty decorations!

thefoxes - Love your home holiday decs, the chandelier (to die for, but I would not want to be the one in charge of keeping it clean:) looks awesome with the ribbons and vintage ornaments. Very pretty, I really like to see the unexpected or non-traditional colors in use.

outside playing - lovely mantel. Loving the pheasant feathers on your wreath.

@movin-on trying to checkout your pics, but your album looks to be password protected? Anyhoo, the others you posted were lovely.

Can't remember who was asking about the camera settings. I have a DSLR along with a few other cameras (hobby, etc), and I think if you use the auto setting together with any anti-movement feature your camera may have (many do), you will be good to go. Apperature settings, f stops, etc. are fun and exciting to set, but you really need at least one primer class before fooling around with doing your own settings, unless you have lots of extra time to play. Should you have the time and inclination, there are so many effects you can get with manual settings. Can you tell I like photography? Wish I had more time to "play" with my camera.

Thanks to everyone for sharing a peek into your homes and holiday decs, doggies, etc. What a happy thread for Christmas Eve morning.

Merry Christmas!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Finally got a good picture of our retro hutch area. We bought Bettie Page a couple of years ago as a present for us. We normally store wine corks in the vase, but I put some small ornaments in it. MIL got us the other vintage accessories last year.

• massagerocks
    11 years ago

such beautiful and heartwarming decorations everyone!
    family room tree:

dining room tree:

beaded doves MIL crafted over 50 years ago: