Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfw17

Ballard Durham Cocktail Table?

dfw17
13 years ago

Hi, sometimes lurker here...

Has anyone seen the Ballard Designs Cocktail Table in person? I really like the look/lines, but I've never ordered furniture from them before. I'm wondering about the quality.

Thanks,

DJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Ballard table

Comments (39)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I don't know the answer, but have you seen this table at Overstock? Looks very familiar and only $199, with either free or $2.95 for shipping. I was looking at a piece of furniture at Ballard's too. But by the time you added in the shipping and extra charges it added another $200 to the price. :( Do a search on the first couple of pages on the Home Decor forum, there is a 10% off coupon for Overstock floating around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock's look-alike

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I have not ordered furniture from Ballard, but I was also looking at the Durham end table so I'll be curious to see your responses. I did recently buy a VERY similar console table from Home Decorators catalog, so you might see if they have anything similar in a coffee table.

• akshars_mom
    13 years ago

DJ,
    I do not have the table you are looking for but just ordered a console table from them a 10 days ago when they has the free shipping. The qaulity of the console table is good. It is made of solid wood with out any MDF. I can not comment on durablity as I just received my table a few days ago but so far we are pleased.

Side note I also ordered an end table (first piece of furniture )from over stock since the price was so much less than the other places I looked and let us just say if I had seen it in person I would not have bought it.

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

ooooh...That must be new on Overstock...I was looking recently for something like that and the only one they had was a table called the Mendacino or something like that.

Going back to the O to check it out closer...

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

Went back and looked at both tables...The Ballards looks like much better quality if you ask me. If it were me and I could afford the Ballard one vs the Overstock, I'd get the Ballards table.

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

Homedecorator.com has the Holbrook table...$399. but I still like the Ballards one better. And there is another one with wheels if you like that look. More industrial.

http://www.homedecorators.com/Furniture/Living_Room/Coffee_Tables/

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I agree about the Ballard table looking like it is much better quality. Examine the corners of both tables, the difference in quality really shows there.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Also, FWIW, I just looked and realized the console I bought from Home Decorators was the Holbrook, and it arrived damaged. They refunded me about 25% of my purchase price, and DH was able to fix it, but that's another vote against HD, I guess. Although I have also purchased items from Ballard that arrived damaged -- this was several years ago, though, and it was a small item.

• dfw17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm....thanks for thinking out loud on this one with me. I don't know what I'm going to do. I'll post back if I end up buying it (or something similar).

--DJ

• hhireno
    13 years ago

Did you check out Wisteria for a similar table? They were having a sale and if you use "holiday" as a coupon code things were reduced further. Might be worth a look.

I was pleased with the one thing I ordered from them in the past.

• dfw17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update....I decided to go ahead and order this table. (Ballard Designs has free shipping right now.) I found some posts on various blogs where folks had spoken positively on this table. I also found a number of other similar tables (RH, Wisteria - thanks hhireno, Z Gallerie, Home Decorators, Aidan Gray). Most of the others were too large for my space (and some were much more $$$).

--DJ
    I'll let you all know how I like it when I receive it.

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I just ordered the end table!

• dfw17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got the Ballard cocktail table today....and I love it! It is certainly Belgian-inspired (brick layers' tables, that are so popular right now), but it is not quite as (unfinished) rustic which I actually like better. I would say there is a slight stain (although still light) and matte finish. Of course, I love the price of $349 (free shipping promotion, but reg shipping is only 10%) vs. $1000 - $2000 for other tables actually made from the actual brick layers tables. I should also mention that the Ballard table is quite heavy (85 pounds) and seems very durable.

This is my first furniture purchase from Ballard, and I'm very pleased.

--DJ

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

I got my end table this morning! DH put it together and commented on the high quality. It's really nice looking.

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

Teases...Teases...Where are the pictures???

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Sorry, just saw this now!

I love my end table. Before anyone says anything, the chair to the right has been moved elsewhere! And please ignore the mess. And the blue tape on the wall.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

I saw the end tables in an Idea House recently and loved them.

• loribee
    13 years ago

How pretty!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Well now I really feel cool, if I have the same furniture as an Idea House has! Love the painting on that back wall, and I really need one of those "STUFF" baskets! Do you know resources for everything? I honestly would love to find one of those baskets.

• inspiredisabel
    13 years ago

Very late to the thread but I did just want to add, in case others wonder about Ballard...

I have ordered pieces from them for about 6 years now. My earliest items were a couple of bar stools that have held up beautifully. And my most recent purchase has been a headboard that I am in love with. Quality is superb, very heavy, all hardwood.

btw I love that idea house and the sliding barn door. swoon!

• Norsemom
    13 years ago

I am thinking about purchasing the Durham Cocktail table also. Thank you for sharing your experiences with Ballard Designs. I was hesitant to purchase something without being able to see a floor model, but you have helped me to decide. I believe that the print pictured in the Idea House room is the "Birch Grove Giclee Print" from Ballard Designs. Thanks again for the input.

• jenverrengia_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I am thinking about purchasing the coffee table also and these posts really helped me. I think I am going to do it, so a big thanks to all! Has anyone found the stuff basket from the idea house yet? I love it!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Here you go ladies. It's not cheap though....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire STUFF basket

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Oh wait. I found a bargain....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire STUFF basket bargain priced

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

If your on a tight budget and can make your own liner here's a smaller basket that could work.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wire basket with out liner

• jmverrengia
    13 years ago

@justgotabme - OMG! That is an insane prices, but I do appreciate you doing some research and posting the cheaper basket, thank you! Well, it's official, I just ordered the Durham Coffee Table. I will let everyone know how I like it...I got %15 off of it too - Whoo Hoo! Cheers!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Yeah, isn't that ridiculous for an old wire basket with a stenciled canvas liner?
    Looking forward to seeing your coffee table in your home. How long does it take to arrive? I hate waiting. I about went nuts after ordering my chairs from Overstock a little over a month ago. They really came quite fast, but it seemed forever at the time.

• zoey_neohio
    13 years ago

I have been searching for the lamps in the idea house photo and am coming up short. Any one have any idea what they are? Thanks!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Zoey sorry, but I couldn't find that for you. It appears to be a milk jug. I could have been a repurpose and available as retail.

• zoey_neohio
    13 years ago

justgotabme, thanks so much for doing some searching and letting me know. Maybe they are homemade since I can't find anything either. Thanks for trying!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

You're welcome Zoey. I would try searching flea markets and antique malls for some old milk cans to make our own. You can buy kits at some Ace Hardware stores to make your own lamps if you don't have a local lamp parts store.

• User
    13 years ago

Zoey, That idea house was a Southern Living in Senoia Ga not far from us. If you go to the magazine's website you should be able to source the lamps. I think most of the lighting came from a shop in north Atlanta. I admit I went to that idea house FIVE times! It had some really nice features.

• dianetromano_oh_rr_com
    13 years ago

Aha...I am a long time mostly lurker... I have been looking at this table for awhile; its been sitting in my ballard's shopping basket and I was happy to find this post. dfw17 and sueb20....tell me what you think? can it go in a traditional/transitional casual family room with a mix of painted black furniture and some stained cherry pieces? I love it and I have a 10% off BD about to expire. Thanks

• dtr56
    13 years ago

bumping because I am impatient....sorry! and, not stained cherry furniture mix but natural brazilian cherry furniture and painted black furniture....thank you!

• Sueb20
    13 years ago

Well, I have my end table in a room that has a mix of woods -- mahogany trim and ceiling beams and mantle; quartersawn antique oak sideboard; another old oak end table; and Pottery Barn "espresso" TV stand (which was supposed to be temporary but here it is, about 4 years later). The end table is probably the lightest wood in the room but there are some darker areas in the wood grain (the main color of the wood is kind of grayish brown), and of course the metal frame is black. What I really like is that it's BIG for an end table (so measure carefully!). I have a pretty small living room, but it just happens that on this end of the sofa, I have quite a bit of space, so it was great to find this nice big square table. Love the bottom shelf, too.

• dtr56
    13 years ago

Thanks sueb20! Like I said its sitting in my cart at Ballard's just waiting for me to push the button. I am thinking of the cocktail table actually. I like that its not super deep like many and I love the bottom shelf idea. Yes, my tv stand, although a nice one I have had for longer than expected also....I am trying, for once, to pull it all together at once...new chair, new sofa and now new coffee table. I am happy to hear that the metal frame is black as I couldn't really tell from the pic on line nor in the catalog...that will pull my black pieces into the picture. I am so happy you replied. Thank you!

• dfw17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi...original poster back.

dtr56, I still love my table. From a color standpoint, I would say the wood is beige-taupe-gray (not honey) which goes well with my sofa and area rug. The metal is black-ish with subtle bronzing, which goes well with other pieces of oil rubbed bronze that I have. btw, my other case pieces in the room are natural cherry and similar.

--DJ

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dtr56
    13 years ago

Thank you DJ...the Durham looks great in your home. I am still thinking and my only concern is the beige-taupe gray color on top..i have a camel colored wall and worried about the contrast. It still remains in my shopping cart. It looks like it goes with just about anything...glad about that. Many thanks DJ and I appreciate the pics. If and when I do get it I will post pics.

• Lila Baadte-Smith
    7 years ago

Can anyone comment on how it's held up? Lots of negative reviews saying the Durham doesn't hold up well...