Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Pantone color for 2014: Orchid?

nosoccermom
10 years ago

OK, so purple is back, but this? Reminds me of my daughter's pink/purple phase. Maybe in some accessories.

I guess it still goes with beige and gray.

Comments (56)

• camlan
    10 years ago

I like the color, but for clothing, not my house. It's one of the more flattering colors for me, actually.

I could see a small jewel box of a powder room in this color, maybe, with black and silver accents. And using it as an accent color in certain rooms. But a whole room in this color? Wow.

But keep in mind that the Pantone color of the year is not just for interior design, but for fashion and make-up and other things as well. Just a sign that colors are trending in this direction.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I'm fine with the hue of the purple, but it does have the potential to be restricted to a very feminine look unless counterbalanced. This year was like, emerald (edited) camlan is right, we are trending to slightly softer jewel tones.

2012 was Tangerine.

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Dec 5, 13 at 12:56

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Somewhere in the world, Kirstie Alley is skipping around with glee.

However, I am not a fan.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Too much for me in the home, but I would happily use this

Here is a link that might be useful: Only $1695!

• francoise47
    10 years ago

I love purple (as accents). But I agree with others that this is not my favorite purple. I'd only use it in the home or on clothing in the tiniest dose.

Two minutes after nosoccermom posted this notice about the new Pantone color I received an email from Duralee promoting the new color with this image:

{{!gwi}}

• francoise47
    10 years ago

And this from the Duralee Radiant Orchid Pinterest board:

{{!gwi}}

My stomach is now turning â¦.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Two words: accessories only.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I agree that color would only be for accessories in my world. I do like it in limited amounts altho it doesn't really 'go' with my color scheme.

A real orchid in that color could look good in a powder room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

This is the kind of results you get when you set out to chose a color of the year.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

While I admire the effort that went into that purple cake, it just isn't appetizing.

From the comments section of Apartment Therapy: Barney. Of course, Apartment Therapy's rendition of the color was a little more Barney-like than the initial picture above.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I did paint my mud room a shade of lavender, but it's more of a heather with a lot more blue in it and grayed down. Much easier to live with than "barney".

• pcweary
    10 years ago

Oh, what is the paint color of your mudroom? It is a beautiful, non-threatening shade.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Regarding the Duralee cake photo - color psych 101, the fastest way to incite uneasy response to a color is to use food in oddball, unnatural colors. If the idea was to use the cake photo to promote their radiant orchid colored fabrics, someone did not choose wisely.

As far as radiant orchid in interiors, it reminds me of the Benjamin Moore Wet Concrete period. I kinda like it, can see potential.

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan. For accent pieces, yes, but not walls. I think it is in right now but will quickly fade out.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

haven't like the last few years' colors. That green was awful -- way too muddy to be called "emerald." I don't think the orchid is too bad, but I like blue purples better.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I used BM tropical dusk in the mudroom.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

hideous.

the entire idea of 'color of the year' is laughable

so what is the expectation for NEXT year? paint all over again?

oh wait...of course....'it's just paint'

bleh

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Marji - I actually liked your #2 an #5 examples above. That bedroom just looks decadent. Like you could only wear bustiers, stockings with garters, and feathered heels while in there instead of my standard polar bear flannel PJ bottoms.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I love the first one ML posted. Yikes I have floors that tone in the new house; maybe I should go purple. I'd need xanax.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

it seems to be a purple with a lot of pink. I don't think many people have used such a color in home decor with such an saturation. The examples I see all seem to greyed out or deeper -- and a lot of lavender.

they describe it as a "harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones"

but here is, outdoors (oh my)

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Beverly Hills Interior Designers & Decorators Sandy Koepke

This post was edited by gooster on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 3:04

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Here is one design seed I found....

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Sorry I missed this Annie. Now that I see the date, my son showed up after a leave of 5 mos....my excuse. Love the comments.

Gooster...the pic reminds me so much of NM patios. Love those colors together.

• mdrive
    10 years ago

heh...

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I used SW Obi Lilac in the "library", I wanted something on the darker side that would not be distracting when reading. The carpet is "Folklore", a medium/darkish brown with an undertone that complements the paint.

I now have a dark brown micro suede comfy chair, eggplant curtains, a grey/silver lamp, and beige with brown/purple throw plus pillow.

It actually looks very relaxing. The room is only about 9x13. One wall has barrister bookcases in brown along the bottom half, the chair dominates one corner, and I have a bunch of framed art I still have to hang on the other long wall. So it's not overwhelming.

This is the only pic I have at the moment, that room is holding all the stuff displaced by my in-progress projects. Lately I feel like my house is like one of those slide-the-numbers-to-put-them-in-order puzzles, with stuff moving from room to room until I can manage to get the right place freed up!

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Your landscape photo is a great example for where this color can work. The others are not comfortable surrounding to me. Considering the past color of the years, I have decided to run away from all of them. Even muted ones. Is jewel colors really a concept for so many years?

It will be interesting what will be offered in the new color via decor. They aren't showing shades of this, but a vibrant use. My brain envisions old "castles" heavily draped or the king showing up in my house dressed in his finery.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• User
    10 years ago

Honestly, isn't it ridiculous that some committee at Pantone decides the It Color every year?

• victoria_g
    10 years ago

I love these examples.. some kinda frighten me though like that outdoor patio use (bleh..). I LOVE purple a lot but I am not sure its a great application in every sense... I agree with some others who say its likely best for accents in home decor. I have a feeling my 7 year old might like it... though shes really into more blue tones at the moment.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Since I missed on reading this one, came across a listing of photos using the new color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchid rooms!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If anyone watches Project Runway all stars, last week's challenge was to make a trend-setting outfit using the "radiant orchid" color of 2014. They all used it with white or black except one guy used it with military olive drab.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I love that show....especially the "what were you thinking?" designs. And the amount of money spent to get there. Somehow I missed this being DVR'd. Will have to go to the site and stream to catch up.

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Am a great fan of all the Project Runways. It was interesting that one dress that was really popular was white, with just a barely visible line of the orchid. And that's how I would use it; as a second or third accent, in a tiny amount, against a great warm neutral.

That olive drab lace thing was just about the ugliest design I've ever seen. IMO not even Audrey Hepburn could have managed it successfully!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It's funny about the olive drab...quite a few seasons ago they had a challenge where they had to mash up two inspirations and one team got military and lace and they did a terrific job at it....

Korto's design with the peek-a-boo orchid was fabulous. I always thought she was one of their best designers. I believe this is her second all stars and in the prior two she always came up second.

• sable_ca
    10 years ago

Getting slightly away from the subject, aren't we, lol, but it's fun discussing PR. Agree that Korto is a fine designer. Her red carpet dress with the tangerine skirt was so pretty. And that beautiful tangerine color would be so much easier to work with in home decor than this "orchid"!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like it! I don't know if it would work on the wall, but I would use it in a floral pattern...maybe for drapes. It's a beautiful color and very feminine.

Why is it all feminine colors are now considered too 'little girl' to be used? Why are people so tied to the neutrals? It IS just paint and it's not that difficult to change. Easier than ripping out counters and back splashes!

Personally, I'm hoping to see more 'girlie' rooms in the near future. The key is not to go overboard...but there's nothing wrong with pretty and feminine. I predict we'll see a lot more of this in the near future :)

Also...if bohemian is making a come back...I could see this color going very well with that look!

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Interesting in that our old home's dining room wallpaper was a deeper shade very similar.

The amazing thing is that it seemed to work magically both with pastels and jewel tones. It worked with golds and deep burgundy for Christmas, and pale yellow and minty blue green for Easter. A very versatile saturated color in my experience. We had it in a tone-on-tone damask style very traditional wall paper. With dove white trim, and pale tan in the wainscoting below, with dark wood floors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

julie, your DR color is a rich warmer red that would work with many colors and shades...the radiant orchid is pretty loud and in your face. IMO, best consumed in small doses.

• xc60
    10 years ago

We bought dark purple couches about a year ago and just love them. I wanted purple couches from the start but decided it maybe too much so was planning on going with dark grey couches and then just acessorize with purple.

But when I walked into the furniture store and looked at all the couches nothing caught my eye until I saw the most perfect beautiful purple couch! I loved it, it made me happy, lol. A beautiful dark purple with teeny tiny silver sparkles. So we ordered two and got the matching dark grey material for the reclining chairs. I figured if we lived with forest green couches for ten years, we could also live with purple ;)

This post was edited by xc60 on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 22:55

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the color purple but prefer purples with blue hues or gray hues. The Orchid would be nice as an accessory.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

WWTT?

• happyintexas
    10 years ago

Oh my xc60...where would I find purple couches like that? I'm in love. Those would make me very happy, too.

If you know a brand or manufacturer I'd love to have it.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Not going to happen in our home. I'm not sure why, but I just don't care for purples. I don't dislike them but I've never worn or decorated with them, though our daughter when a baby had a few purple outfits, that's about it.
    2013 was my year because my all time favorite color is green. I love almost every shade of green there is.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 12:14

• xc60
    10 years ago

Hi happyintexas,

The couches are from La-Z-Boy they are the Poet Sofa model and the purple material is called Vineyard Mystere C982089 and the grey chairs are a matching material Cosmic Mystere C982054. I can't find the material on their website but the saleslady says you can order it. We really like the couches, extremely comfortable. Hope that helps. :)

• happyintexas
    10 years ago

Thank you, xc60. I appreciate the information.

Now I'm wondering just how much persuading I'd have to do to get dh on board. ;0)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Jamie Drake has used colors like these successfully for his entire career.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jamie Drake

• Baroo2u
    10 years ago

I actually like nosoccormom's original color rendition on my screen, it would look great in a LARGE bedroom or tiny powder rrom with tons of white trim. Can't see investing in expensive items like rugs or sofas, 'tho...And in a LR, or (gag) kitchen/DR? Eeyew.

BTW, I've never understood why attempts are made to utilize the Pantone color of the year in decor! To me, Pantone is graphic design products, so their selections would be frivolous and fad-y almost by definition: sure, I'd buy a marker or presentation cover, do a design or ad layout with this color and an eye-catching, refreshing green...but my house? Nahhh

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Baroo, have mentioned this before too. Pantone was used to "mark" a product and the color would not stray between packaging or actual items. I remember taking close to a year to find a red for our company with pigments which did not match any other red.

The auto industry is a major part of this. Hello Kitty for example (too many kids over the holidays) has it's own pantone pink. These colors can identify fraudulent products.

Out of curiosity I searched for Pantone History. One may or may not read the info as interesting, but significant is this goes back to the 70s and they have a panel of designers making the final decision. It didn't mention when the color of the year began, eluded to 2000.

The pantone site is full of interesting info on using colors of the year, plus they have a blog to go to with more for one to consider using their colors. It is user friendly and has a number of familiar designer comments. And a string of colors which work with the Color of the Year.

I didn't read the entire sites, but one question on my mind is how these colors work for an individual to wear if our physical coloring doesn't use it well. It was mentioned that Tangerine Tango became a chosen color for make up and evolved from there into design. Each of us is so different, it is hard to imagine a color would create their huge marketplace.

Wiki history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone

Blog: http://blog.pantone.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantone site

• octoberdana
    10 years ago

Purple is my favorite color and I love to incorporate it into most of my rooms, even just a pop of it.

I'm not a fan of this particular shade, as I'm more of an eggplant or plum person but I am glad to see some "feminine" colors making a comeback as I'm tired of gray, brown, beige, white, and black. Especially brown- everything is brown now. Carpets, hardwood floors, walls, furniture, couches...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES