Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilipepper29_gw

I need help choosing curtains for this room.

Chilipepper29
10 years ago

I am new to this website. But I am excited that I found it! I need help choosing curtains for this room. We just bought this furniture a few weeks ago. I haven't hung any pictures up yet either. I'd really appreciate it if anybody has any good ideas that they wouldn't mind sharing with me. I may add a couple of throw pillows with different color occasionally just to change it up and add some color to the room. My husband and son picked out this furniture, so I need to pretty up this room for us. In between the sofa and the round chair in the corner a side table is coming that has the same wood as the sofa table. I will pull the furniture apart a little bit to fit that in and I'm hoping to find a pretty lamp for that side table. Thanks!

Comments (60)

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok this is the last one. Sorry I got carried away. I just wanted to give you a good idea of what I have to work with. Looking into my breakfast area before you get to my kitchen there is a galley on the right and that is the green wall that I took a picture of.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I initially said that I need help with curtains, but I actually meant that I needed help with what to do with the windows in general. Any ideas about decorating and colors would be great too! I know that I need to find a rug and additional accent pillows that maybe pick up a color in the rug. This will be the first area rug that I've ever purchased so I feel like it has to be the perfect one for this room. If only I knew where the perfect one is and what it is going to look like!!! I've bought door rugs and kitchen and bath rugs, but not an area rug. It feels so permanent that I feel like its got to be perfect.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Chili, you have a beautiful starting 'canvas'. First decide if you want cool(blues/greens/purples)colors, or warm(red/orange/yellows), as there are many color plays on all of them. Don't be afraid to go outside the color box and do your own 'thing'. Makes your home uniquely you. ;o)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

If you do plan to get an area rug, start there. Look online at websites such as Overstock.com, RugStudio.com, etc....to zero in on styles and colors you like. Once the rug is in place you can figure out the window treatments. Are the white blinds staying? How much light control and privacy do you need? Would you leave the blinds down all the time on the windows overlooking the golf course? Nice house and you are off yo a good start!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I don't think I'd do an area rug. Placement of it is going to make the room look even more 'side heavy'. I do think you can add color with window treatments, pillows and wall art, possibly paint as well. That's where I think I'd spend my money. We need some answers to Joanie's questions regarding the blinds before we can give advice regarding window treatments as well as your color likes and dislikes.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Regarding the blinds, I am 100% open to suggestions. Words can't express how much I look forward to seeing your suggestions! Sometimes the golf carts pull right up to outside my windows looking for their golf balls so I'm thinking that I need something to keep people from casually looking right into the windows. Not that it matters, but I just don't want to invite people to scope out all of the contents of my house or to see me and my family while we are watching TV in our PJ's.

This post was edited by Chilipepper29 on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 21:26

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

What about top down bottom up blinds and panels to finish the windows and add color.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I would take care of some "hardware" issues before starting on the 'software".

First, I would start by taking out the window over the fireplace and closing up the hole. I would need this wall space for a great painting or art piece. It is a pretty bizarre location for a window and does nothing for the room.

Second, I would design some built-ins to go in the TV and side niches/alcoves. Store bought piece just aren't going to fit the spaces correctly. Paint the built-ins white to match the trim. The built-ins don't have to be fancy, a well built simple design will blend in and house the TV, components, DVDs, books, knick-knacks, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You've got some really nice features to work with...the segmental arch, the archways for the built-ins, the wall color is lovely.

But you need to not look for "the perfect" anything. It can sometimes put so much pressure on you that you get stymied. Instead, look for something you really like or even love and then see if you can make it work. At this point, the room is so neutral, you can go in any direction.

One thing is to think about style. Do you want the room to feel relaxed? Do you want it more formal? Do you want it contemporary? Do you want it masculine? Some of those choices will determine what style you'd choose for window treatments.

I agree that I'm not sure an area rug will be best or necessary as you don't need to define a conversational cluster in the space...the space use is already well defined by the shape of the sofa, the location of the sofa and the TV.

I think you need an inspiration to help you move forward. Look for a printed fabric that has the wall color in it and an added color...maybe blue, maybe orange, maybe red depending on how much energy you want to add to the space. That may help give you a direction.

Maybe something like this

or this

You can see how the different colors patterns and textures will give a very different feel to the room, so you need to think about what it is you want.

It sounds like you need day and night time privacy in the room, so you might consider putting sheers on tension rods partway up each window so the light comes in from above and the privacy is maintained at seating level.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, It's me again! Now that the holidays have almost passed by. I'm finally getting a chance to sit back down and look into your advice. AnnieDeighnaugh, I have been looking for an inspiration piece like you suggested. I found a pillow that has colors in it that I like and I found some decorative things that go with the colors. I'm thinking that I need to get a solid color window treatment, maybe the color of the light pillows that are currently on my furniture, since the furniture is so dark and the room is not that large. I'm going to attach the pics of the things that I found, the first pic is my inspiration pillow, it has strips of different colors on it and as you will see I am a chicken to choose something with only a few colors for inspiration. I would love to have everyones opinion on how you think some of these things would look. You have all been so helpful to me. I am such an amateur at this. Someone suggested getting rid of the window over the fireplace. Even though I would absolutely love to do that, we don't have that in our budget. Currently that window and each window on the left and right side of the fireplace have to be repaired or replaced because in between the two pieces of glass on the upper half glass condensation has occurred. So that is an expense that I am already trying to budget in.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

accent pieces

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I only know how to post one picture at time. Here is one of the lamps that I like.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pillow.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More accent pieces.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More accent pieces.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Accent piece.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Throw blanket

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another lamp.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

accent piece

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

accent piece

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Window treatment

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Window treatment. Sorry some of the pics are blurry.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

First I thought I'd post this here for you.

HOW TO POST PICTURES
    Posted by kraftymom (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 15:48

You can't post pics from the Gallery, you have to use a shared photo site like Photobucket. I use Photobucket and here are the instructions:

1. Register of course with Photobucket. (it's free)

2. Upload your photos to Photobucket from your personal files (very easy to do).

3. Click on the photo you want to share/post and a new window will open. To the left of your photo you will be given a choice on how you want to share it. Click on 'HTML Code' and the line will be briefly highlighted and tell you the link was copied.

4. Come back here to your post and 'right click' on your mouse to open the window that will give you the option to 'paste'. Click 'paste' and the link to your pic will show up as SCRIPT ONLY in your message box (no pic yet).

5. Click on 'Preview Message' below the message window. Another window will open and your picture should now be inserted. Post your message.

*To add more than one pic repeat steps 1-4. When done go to step 5.

________
    Next it's pretty clear that you do have a clear preference for style and colors. I love the happy pleated pillow cover you posted above. That's a great starting point.
    I'm not sure why you think you need solid WT's. Basically everyone here has expressed that you should add some pattern, this room is screaming for pattern.
    I'll get you started by putting all those objects above onto a mood board. What I would do if I were you is open the mood board on your screen, then open another window and go to a site like Calico Corners, and split the screen so that you can see both. Then start searching print drapery fabrics, seeing what strikes your fancy. You can save everything to a Pin board on Pinterest, easiest IMO, or save to your computer and then compile a list and ask again for opinions.
    I'll post your mood board in a separate post.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

here you go. This is a great base to start working from to find a great pattern for window treatments.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

No offense, but I don't like the window treatments you have picked out. They are too plain for your room. (Actually, they look like something I would pick out, but I have lots of other color in my room.)

The butterflies seem too feminine. You said your DH and sons had picked out the furniture - it seems really masculine but butterflies are not. I like the elephant and the lamps. They seem beefy, to match the furniture.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Just a few ideas. These are all fabrics, so you'd need to have custom draperies made. But as far as opening up ideas it's a start.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

and another

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

last one. Obviously I've got time on my hands. Hubby is watching football and I'm not doing much.
    Almost all of these fabrics came from a site called InsideFabrics.com and are cotton prints. I don't think I posted anything over $35/yd, most of it priced in the 20's.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 19:44

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Call me crazy but I love these $39 a panel curtains from World Market . com

I think some sort of natural weave area rug would look nice. Also, where I put the picture (that is meant for wall near sofa) I would just prop up a framed leaded glass over that window and put decorative items in front of it. Oh and I would put a big silver tray on the ottoman. Since you seem to like Butterflies I found a side table with metal butterfly work and put the two butterfly décor items on it.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 23:46

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 9:54

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh, and you will find plenty of matching accessories on the same site...and some stuff close to what you have already picked.
    I deleted above as I just added picture to existing.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I second World Market. Just make sure you sign up for their newsletter and wait for the coupons/sales.

However, I think that relatively "plain" drapes would work well and then accessorize with pillows and other things.

I love IKEAS velvet or linen drapes. They are relatively good quality and inexpensive enough to exchange. For example, Sanela in turquoise or the dark blue drapes, or just cream linen, maybe with a ribbon at the bottom.

Below some suggestions for ready-made curtains

Here is a link that might be useful: Henderson, inexpensive but good drapes

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

First I would ditch all of the plain, neutral pillows and replace with colorful, patterned ones, add the knock knacks, lamps, throw, wall art work and go with a less busy drape. Maybe one of the idea ones. I wouldn't even think about a rug until all else is done because I think it will leave the room even more unbalanced and I don't think you'll need it.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

This is where everyone has different taste comes into play. Since it is more or less open to the kitchen I think a natural weave area rug in a similar tone to cabinets would actually make it all blend. There is also a tick of that shade in the curtains. To me it is disjointed due to no color flow. Those cabinets stand out a little too much in the big picture. Part of the fireplace has a warm tone as well so in the end you have better flow by adding the right natural weave tone rug without the eye stopping abruptly here and there. I also do not think bright pillows are the answer, I think some pillows with texture in color shades would look very pretty.

• geokid
    10 years ago

From your accessory choices it's hard to tell if you're looking for a more Pier 1 global feel or a simply a collected, colorful feel a la the Dunphy House from Modern Family.

In this picture, the cabinet color is carried into the LR through the couch and rug. I agree with other posters that your kitchen needs to tie into the LR somehow.

{{!gwi}}

In other scenes, the curtains are floral if that is more your style.

*As for the nooks around the TV, you could either have shelves made to create a built-in feel, or you could add tall skinny bookcases or an etagere. You could also do cabinets on the bottom in the niches. Maybe turn one into a bar area.

*Hanging a piece of stained glass over the window above the fireplace would be gorgeous. Just like adding a piece of wall art.

This post was edited by geokid on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 17:17

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Even though I have this brown furniture, my all time favorite styles are seen in the movies "Somethings got to Give" and"It's Complicated". In addition to that I love Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Kirklands, World Market, ZGallery, Home Decorators Collection. I don't have to stick with those accent colors or pillows or window treatments that I showed you. I'm just an ameteur trying to figure this out in a way that one day my husband walks in the door and says "Wow! This looks awesome babe!" So I'm really cheating I guess and getting help from you guys because I wasn't born with a knack for decorating and I have no clue how to make it awesome. I'm pretty sure that I can spot what I don't like though and I know that flowers in the decor aren't something that my husband is nuts about just from past conversations that we've had. I am having the best time ever trying to imagine your suggestions and looking at your pics. I don't think that I've ever been this excited about decorating a room. Thanks you guys for helping me get more interested about making my house look good. I am learning so much from you all!!! Those ridiculous DVD's that my husband has collected in some of the pics are definitely going to get put in something where they aren't glaring at us from the alcoves. I'm wondering if the pattern that the room needs could be in a picture, or a pillow, or the window treatments. It seems like a few people have indicated that the window treatments need to have the pattern in them. It would all be so easy if I weren't trying to think of what my husband likes to in the back of my mind. I think that's where I am struggling. Jeeze it's so hard to please everybody, but so much joy in my life comes from making my family happy!!!

This post was edited by Chilipepper29 on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 22:31

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

ItâÂÂs not cheating! Sometimes we are too close to our stuff to be objective. I have been there many times. Have your husband read this thread. DonâÂÂt ask him any questions for a bit. Let him ponder. Then the two of you can meet on some neutral ground and make some progress. The most important thing after that is getting him involved in the shopping process even if he just looks online. Your husband may be the exception but often mates do not know prices so they have unrealistic expectations on what can be pulled off. I went through this early in my marriage. Husband agreed to a look but not the price and then complained about âÂÂcheapâ stuff. However, your husband may be much different.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Yes to Geo's suggestion on furniture rearranging!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Looks to me like your furniture is arranged for optimal tv viewing by lots of people. Even though it probably isn't the most decorator friendly arrangement, if the room works for your family in terms of how you use it, I wouldn't worry about rearranging to make it a contender to be featured in architectural digest. Again, before you even think about a rug, I would get everything else (drapes and accessories) in place and see if you really need one. I know it's easy for people on a message board to spend someone else's money. Most of us don't have unlimited budgets. You need to start with colors that you and your family love and go from there. Good luck with the room.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think a good idea would be to move the chair that is to the left of the sofa (if you are looking at the sofa) and put it where the Christmas tree is now and make sure they are not pushed up against a wall.

I would then pull the sofa away from the wall. Pulling furniture away from the walls gives you a feeling of coziness. You could put something behind the sofa and add lamps etc or just pull it away and leave the space open.

I think since you have so many windows I would go with a neutral color from your drapes. Maybe a khaki or a sage olive color. I have added a link below. JCPenny is having a huge sale on curtains right now.

Check out rugs at TJMaxx and find one you love. That would be my jumping off point for then choosing pillows, art and other items.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Check Craigslist too for some of the decorative things. IâÂÂm always on a tight budget so although some things may cost a tad more IâÂÂm usually close to my bottom line by saving in other places. I have even bought very cool lighting at the Habitat resale store for practically nothing. Once in a blue moon you can find nice canvas art in thrift stores very cheap. I also found a very large decorative brass tray I used on one of my coffee tables at a garage sale for $7. Mixing used with new is pretty much what I have always had to do. So, the poster above is correct in that not all of us have huge finances for decorating. However, there is always a way, spend on somethingâÂÂs but not on others.

• Chilipepper29
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am going to think about all of your suggestions and figure this out. When I get the room done, I will be sure to post an updated picture of the room to show you all that your hard work helping really did help me. Thanks again and Happy New Year!!!

• susanilz5
    10 years ago

As for the window over the fireplace, I would find a beautiful large piece of stained glass, have it framed and hang it inside the window. It will give you privacy and be a work of art.

• leenamark
    10 years ago

Curtains not only add distinct feel or the finishing touch to a room by its style, color and design elements but also give privacy to the room. It is therefore being advice to be very selective while choosing curtain and accordingly choose to meet your aim.

• Preetiiparmar
    10 years ago

A portal that gives you all tips related to home décor is Fashion@home. The have marvellous designs and themes that makes your home look simply awesome. You should also take a look at this. Click here http://bit.ly/19x5nMB

• inspiredwindow
    10 years ago

If you want privacy you can choose curtains for your room.Your wall color is light so I will suggest you to choose any dark color curtains.

Here is a link that might be useful: inspired window coverings

• H.Parker
    10 years ago

I would also suggest hanging those curtain rods about 4-5 inches higher. It makes the room look much larger.