Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Candle Suggestion

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 11:02

I have placed 2 lanterns on my island, my idea of decorating for Christmas in the kitchen, but I'd like to put real candles in them. I usually use battery operated pillar ones in them so the glass doesn't get black. But now that they are a "feature" I think I might go "real". Any suggestions on a pillar candle that won't smoke and turn the glass black?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Candle Suggestion

Pure beeswax candles burn much cleaner and are also healthier.

o

Have you seen the Luminara candles that are battery-operated, but look like a real flame? I just love them. To see how they might look in your lanterns, watch the video of the product I've linked. Of course, you would want to buy the candle by itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luminara in lantern

o

Hi Beekeeper,

If you are concerned about indoor air pollution, pick a beeswax candle or soy candle.
Lots of small local candle companies are sprouting up in the northeast.
The soy candles from Sydney Hale (made in Virginia) are wonderful,
and come in many delicious scents that don't smell phony.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sydney Hale Candles

o

You would have thought I'd have thought about the beeswax candle....

And I did think about soy, I've had them before but couldn't remember if they burned cleanly too.

I'll have to get out there and find some to check out.

fun, thanks for the link. I do like my battery operated candles, but just wanted to go wild and use real ones for the holidays, at least on the kitchen counter.

Here they are sitting on my island
Photobucket

o

Keep your wick trimmed to reduce smoke....about 1/4" in length.

o

I like real candles, too, but I've yet to meet a real candle that didn't leave some sort of soot behind and you have that beautiful kitchen in all of those wonderful pale shades...

o

I'm back from shopping and while there I had an epiphany. The artificial snow in the bottom of the lanterns that I added for Christmas (it's so realistic it's scary) might, no probably, is flammable!

I'm sticking with the battery operated candles!!!

o

LOL! Have you thought about adding a red artificial candle for the holidays, just to give them some oomph? I think all that silver with two small touches of red would be beautiful!

The reason I say that..not just because I love red at Christmas, is because I did an apothecary jar with two different tones of gold in the kitchen. Next to a lamp. And I never noticed it! I finally switched the bulbs out with color.

I think red would really draw the eye to the setting.

o

Hi oak, no, not really interested in doing a colored candle in there...I think for the exact reason you say, it would pull the eye right to it. I want them to just blend in and be soft to the eye. The only colors in there are things such as the food (apples, bananas, oranges, peppers), labels on the oil bottles, towels, stuff like that. If I wanted to highlight them, I would certainly do what you suggest though!

o

You can use epsom salts as faux snow which is not a fire hazard.

o

Bee, is that can light on the right in front of your range, or over the island? I cannot figure out if I need one in front of my range, which will have lights in the hood, and in front of the refrigerator.

Love the lanterns and the deer!

Thanks!

Nancy

o

They are perfect ! I never tire of seeing that awesome kitchen!

o

Bee! You got your pendant over your sink! I must have missed that. I love it!

I am completely envious of your stunning kitchen!

o

I see the spam was removed but so was my post to answer the inquiries..

springroz, there is a can right by the range, there are also 2 over the island flanking the chandy. Didn't have the one in front of the range in last house and I missed it.

aktillery--yep, found it just in time for the photo shoot. And of all places...Lowe's.

thanks funky, we need to get together.

oh, and I posted a picture of them lit too in the missing message:

Photobucket

o

I love the faucet...I have the same one LOL

I have a friend who does all of my candles. They are soy and burn 60 hours without smoke. Her store is called conservatory and it's in port townsend. I think she does ship. They're fabulous and for a holiday scent she does a special blend for me of clove and orange. Yummy. They don't get terribly hot...she burns them in the store in similar lanterns. Just a thought :)

Are your boots packed?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here