Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashgirl_gw

Coffee Table - Does it work?

ashgirl
10 years ago

What do you think of this coffee table in this room? Is it going well with every thing else in the room? TIA

Comments (25)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

This appears to be a casual TV room so I think the table is fine. What doesn't work for me is the placement. It should not be in the middle of the room...too far away to be used by people sitting on either sofa. Perhaps the furniture can be rearranged...it's hard to get a full visual of the room since the first picture is upside down.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I agree. This appears to be a room that having all the furniture lined up against the walls might not be ideal - at least for using that coffee table. It seems a little too large for the white loveseat, but better with the brown sofa. You didn't ask, but I also think a larger rug would look better with your room and coffee table.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i like the tabletop itself in the room-looks great! ... but, i don't care for the wheels as feet with your furnishings- they don't go at all, imo...

• bpath
    10 years ago

It anchors the theme of the accessories and smaller tables, I like it, but I'm not sure it really goes with the lighter sofa. And as everyone said, everything is too centered on its wall or in its space. If it's closer to the darker sofa, it looks like you could pull low stools up to it for the kids. Do the wheels have good breaks so they don't pinch the kids' tootsies?

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Love it. I agree to bring other elements in from the walls towards the rug. I think once you add some items to it, it will relate better to the light sofa. A a large white bowl and oversized light coloured coffee table book perhaps.

• chispa
    10 years ago

I would shift the seating area towards the window and have the walkway/hallway to the stairs behind the brown sofa.

Is this your only staircase to go upstairs?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I don't think it works. If you are drawn to the top, I would modify the legs.

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White sofa is a place holder as of now.

I thought the iron wheels would go well with the iron fire place shield.

Chipsa - thats our 2nd stair case not the main one.

• always1stepbehind
    10 years ago

For me the placement is throwing it off. From the pictures, it looks like the best tv viewing area where the dark sofas are, pull the coffee table into towards them.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think the iron and wood of the tabletop go well with the fireplace, but the wheels are just too big (and therefore "obtrusive").

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It does go with the fp, it's just other elements in the room are more refined, not country western looking. True the wheels are on prominent display now being in the middle of the room.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Yes, what Chispa said...bring the brown sofa forward creating more of an L or U around the coffee table and making a pathway to the stairs without having to walk in front of people sitting on the couch. It assume this room is open to the kitchen...my SIL has a similar arrangement...she has a sectional sofa...works well.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I was thinking not country-western but "voyage" :), bringing home the trunk, end table, giraffes, rug, and wonderful savannah-sunset vase.

• ashgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bpathome - yes, I was thinking in those lines as well when I brought the table home from World Market.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I think it belongs in a room with a south west motif. If your leather couches had studs in them it might start to work. The rug is too light and refined to ground the heaviness of it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I think it goes very well with the style of the rug and the leather sofa. The only issue is that it's too alone in the middle of the rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living rooms with factory cart coffee tables

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I like the table but I think the rug is way to small. I would also like to see the sofa facing the fireplace.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Without repeating what others have noted about the spacing of furniture and rug, I think the table is over-industrialized in a forced way. The top rivets and corner brackets are appealing and a more tasteful nod to industrial decor... the casters are too much. But if you like the look for now, you could probably switch out the casters later for different legs.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I agree with several others. The top of the table is OK, but the wheels are just strange and out of place. Yes, I see that they repeat the circle of the mirror, but that's not enough to ground the piece in your room.

• vera11
    10 years ago

nope in a word LARGE..need something more in keeping with small sofa.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

I like it very much, it is different and unexpected!! And if those wheels work, then you can move it easily to where needed.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

At first look I didn't think it worked at all, but after reading what others have said, which helped me noticed what this table relates too, I realized that it was the rug that was throwing the look off. I think I'd try a less traditional rug (maybe a little darker) in either a larger size or pulling the furniture in toward the table would make all the difference in the world.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

you have a nice eclectic look going on so the table works, as others have said if you can pull the big pieces closer to the edge of the rug, it would look nicer, imoâ¦

• camlan
    10 years ago

I think it works, especially if the white sofa is just temporary.

But what I'd do in the room is pull the rug closer to the white sofa, so that its front legs are on the rug. Then pull the brown sofa closer so that its front legs are on the rug. Center the coffee table between them.

Now everyone can use the coffee table. There is now a walkway to the stairs behind the brown sofa, so that people using the stairs don't have to walk in front of people on the brown sofa, blocking their view of the TV.

Or you could push everything over to the brown sofa, but you will still have the people walking in front of the TV problem. Then you could put a console table in front of the windows.

I think one of the issues with the coffee table as it is now is that is it all alone in the center of the room and it is what your eyes are drawn to. It isn't supposed to be the focal point, but stranding it out there in the middle of a sea of area rug forces it into focal point position. Move it into the center of an arrangement of furniture, with the sofas closer to it, and I don't think it will stand out so much.

• peegee
    10 years ago

Everything else in the room has something on it, making the coffee table naked and vulnerable out there in the center all alone....as such I imagine nearly any table of any style would get negative feedback. My own initial response was "yuck, no!", but on careful reflection, I realize I actually like the table, and suspect that like many others am responding to other factors.....can you position it closer to the brown sofa, add something to the top and take another picture? And a larger rug would better fit the heft/scale of the table, too. You don't have a larger jute carpet to substitute, do you? I like that the heft of the table balances the mirror.