Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

OMG - Painter Coming 2morrow !? Final Decision

dakota01
11 years ago

Family Room and Entry is getting painted tomorrow.
I am still torn between Wythe Blue and Quietude. I know they are very similar but, to my eye the Quietude is alittle less bright than Wythe - almost grayed down. The majority of the day, these rooms do not get a ton of light and I want them to look warm and relaxing.
My trim and ceilings are Chalk Gray and I am thinking about changing the ceiling from Chalk Gray in just these rooms to PPG Delicate White. The Chalk Gray is just blah on the ceilings - almost looks like dirty white.
My floor plan is pretty open and the kitchen has cream cabs w/saddle brown glaze. The kitchen will also get painted, and will be Caravelle Brown by PPG. The dining room has a darker teal wallpaper.
If you stand in the FR you can see the entry, kitchen and dining room. So, I want the space to flow and be easy on the eyes.
My floors are all dark hardwood. My area rugs in the FR is a teal/muted torquise.
I have a large sample fo Wythe up and many times of the day, it looks rather bright, other times like 1970's torquise. I'm not saying I don't like the color - but would a safer/softer choice be the Quietude?

Comments (19)

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Flip a coin. Whichever one you hope comes up is the one you should choose. From your post it sounds like you'll be happier with quietude.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I've been going through the same thing and I am leaning towards the one I find most relaxing. The one that will make me say "ahhhhhhh" when I come home tired and frustrated-- especially for such a large expanse. It sounds like you already know which that is.

I love Wythe Blue in other people's homes and in photos.. but I don't think it's a wall color for me. I'd love to paint a chest or desk with it though.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I too think that MAYBE Wythe is just too bold for me - someone who was always neutral wall paint kind of girl. Yes, I want a change and I want a "tranisitional" look - but, I also want that Ahhhhhh look when I get home from a very stressful day at work.
    I too think Quietude is a better choice - especially w/my other muted down colors in the rooms.
    Oh Lord, I'm scared of all this change!!!

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I should add that I don't want a drab, dead look and that's what my current "grayish" paint screams at me!
    I can barely sit in the FR w/o becoming "down" from the dead color on the walls!!!

• arlosmom
    11 years ago

I have Wythe blue in a spare bedroom that we use as a library. It is a beautiful color, but it is definitely bold. Maybe a little too bold for me, except that I'm not in that room all that much. If it were in a family room, I think I'd be overwhelmed by it. This photo is the best I have in photobucket, but the color is even a little bolder than this looks.

• Scarlett001
    11 years ago

Not that I've seen other of these colours, but the Quietude sounds like your best bet from what you have written. While you want to get rid of the blah feeling, you don't want instead to be overstimulated by an overly bold colour either. Seems Quietude is the best option.

• jenniferPA
    11 years ago

Was in a similar situation recently with painting our foyer, Wythe Blue was the one of three colors I was down to. (Wedgewood Gray, Woodlawn Blue the other two). I really liked Wythe Blue and wanted to go bold also, but wound up picking the least bold of the 3 choices, Woodlawn Blue. At the end of the day, it was the one I was most comfortable with and it's a very nice soft color. My advice would be to go with your instincts, which in this case sounds like the Quietude. THis was about a month ago, and as you're aware it is an adjustment...but am starting to really love it and will probably eventually carry the same/similar color into the adjoining dining room.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arlosmom - Thanks for the advise and picture. I think I would be fine like you if it was in a room that I didn't live in. My family room is in the center of the house and I hae to go threw it many,many time a day. It's a beautiful color in your room w/the woodwork, etc.
    Jennifer - I think I remember reading some of your posts as I am in PA too. I was looking at 3 different colors too - I can't tell you how much money I have spent on samples
    trying to find the right color. From my 3 I think Quietude will be the least "bold" yell at you kind of color, but yet it will be a color - unlike my boring, blah gray.
    It's the same blue/green like Wythe but it is just seems more muted.
    I have a small paper sample of Quietude - it's the only 1 I didn't get a real sample of and I will paint some of the Wythe right on it and see how it really compares.
    Jeez, should picking a paint color really be this hard??? LOL
    I've been trying to find a color that I can live w/and love for months and months!

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

I painted our downstairs bath in the wythe blue. It matched a fabric I wanted for my kitchen. And, I want to paint the kitchen barstools that color. That being said, it is a strong color. I think it looks blue. But, everyone who sees it says, love the green. The bath doesn't have any natural light. I do like it, but do not love it. Maybe if I had more light it would give more of an ethereal look or something like that. But, really it doesn't. It looks like a key west cottage to me. If you're looking for something more spa like, I don't think this is the color. I stared at a million pictures and did everything right (got samples, etc). I've got a gallon of it and don't even think I'll be using it for the stools. I may, though, paint our kid's toy room that color. And, it would be very nice in either of our kids rooms. Hope that helps!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

What about something less jarring and more in the blue-gray family (with a slight tinge of green)? I used BM Mount Saint Anne in my kitchen and bath:

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1390663}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1387804}}

{{gwi:1395554}}

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Kevin......great color and beautiful home. LOVE the marble but the best is that rug! : )

• msrose
    11 years ago

Did the painters come today? We wanna see!

• alex9179
    11 years ago

Yes! I almost used Quietude but it was too blue for the family room in our light and tried to talk both my daughter and my sons into using it for their rooms. Too quiet for them! I'd love to see it in your house.

Kevin, what color did you use for, what looks to be, your foyer?

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin beautiful color & design! Thanks for sharing your pics. I did end going with Overseas as an accent wall. & quietude as the main color. The painter isn't done yet. I love the Overseas it's a peacock blue in the day and a very dark teal at night. Only one wall with quietude Not sure if I like the two colors together yet. Have to wait and see what the second coat does to the look.
    I love the Caravellle brown in my kitchen. It makes my cream cabs jump off the wall. The color is the same as my glaze and it just looks s�ooo nice.
    I will try to post pics when they are all done painting. This is a huge step away from the washed out colors I had. I hope the drapery treatment I want will still work!

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin beautiful color & design! Thanks for sharing your pics. I did end going with Overseas as an accent wall. & quietude as the main color. The painter isn't done yet. I love the Overseas it's a peacock blue in the day and a very dark teal at night. Only one wall with quietude Not sure if I like the two colors together yet. Have to wait and see what the second coat does to the look.
    I love the Caravellle brown in my kitchen. It makes my cream cabs jump off the wall. The color is the same as my glaze and it just looks s�ooo nice.
    I will try to post pics when they are all done painting. This is a huge step away from the washed out colors I had. I hope the drapery treatment I want will still work!

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just looked a t my samples and instead of overseas as my accent color they gave me the next shade darker Rocky something or other!! While its beautiful it's wrong! No wonder I felt the two colors were maybe. Not right together. How does this happen?!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I could look it up, but I think it's rocky river-- an absolutely beautiful color but I can see that it would be very different from what you were expecting. I hope that they do work well together when you get the second coat up.

Can't wait to see photos!

• User
    11 years ago

If it is not what you asked for i'd be making them repaint at their cost.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The can was Overseas,! I stopped at theSW store & told them I ordered Underseas! They did say that Overseas is an old color from years ago! They keep old color strips and I looked at what other colors were on it. A couple were somewhat like my main color Quietude I'm not sure what to do but the decorator is coming wendsday and I haven't mentioned the screw up I want her honest opinion on it I want to see if the fabric I picked for my drapes will work. If not I will ask SW to replace the paint and give me a primer or whatever to cover thee very dark perfect blue green peacock color. It will cost me $$ as I have to pay the painter to change it.