Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Inexpensive, commercial track lighting?

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

My artistic cousin is going out on his own and opening his own gallery. He's rented the space and now it's a matter of making it work for his purposes. As a typical poor artist, he doesn't have a lot to spend, but I'm encouraging him that lighting is really critical to show off his works, especially since we want to use a rich color on the walls.

Does anyone know of a good resource for track lighting that works with a dropped ceiling?

Is there an equivalent site to craigslist that sells more commercial items that I might check?

TIA!

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 10:48

Comments (9)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

ReStore ? I think track lighting is not very expensive....Home Depot might be your best bet. Or perhaps he can get a good deal online from lighting wholesalers since it's for a business.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Joanie, I figured I'd check at HD and Lowes. I did do some on-line looking, but I think I'll need some help with that as there are a lot of pieces and parts you need to know about to get it to work, and esp with the dropped ceiling...

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think I'll need some help with that as there are a lot of pieces and parts you need to know about to get it to work, and esp with the dropped ceiling

Which is why I'd go to a lighting store like this one (there must be one in your area):

Here is a link that might be useful: Universal Electric Supply

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Gosh when I got rid of my store, I practically had to give all my good track lighting away. I used Halo track lighting for the store, however, Juno is a good brand also. You won't find this at the big box stores.

It is available through electrical suppliers.

• zen4d
    9 years ago

Annie, There's a lighting store on CT Avenue. It's near Mr. Shower Door, in the vicinity of Home Depot - opposite side of street. I can't think of the name of the store but they are very helpful and knowledgeable.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Annie, this is very exciting. And ,you will be assisting with the decorating. What area is the gallery in?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan, thank you for the link. I'm sure there are lighting stores around that are more full service. I've only ever worked with those geared toward residential so far.

Beverly, yeah, that's why I was hoping to find a place like craigslist for commercial guys...I'm sure used stuff is out there for cheap, but it's a matter of connecting the buyers with the sellers.

zen4d, are you thinking of post rd electric supply? I'm thinking since he's outside of Ffld county, he would probably do better in his area...everything in ffld county is marked up vs. the rest of the state.

ellendi, he's up close to hartford. I'm looking forward to it...should be a lot of fun. Only thing is he has very specific tastes, and a limited budget, but I'll do what I can to help. Of course, for me, decorating on a budget and treasure hunting makes it all the more fun.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I assume you already did this, but here's a search for track lighting on the Hartford craigslist. The first one looks promising.

Here is a link that might be useful: Track lighting

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, graywings! I will definitely keep an eye out for him on craigslist. At this point, I'm not sure how much he'll need. We really need to get together and do a floor plan first, but it's hard with me being laid up with my broken ankle and all...so frustrating!