Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Have you ever dyed a matelasse?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I have a light green coverlet and I am changing the color of that bedroom to blue and white. I wondered if I could dye the coverlet and what color I would need to turn light green into a medium to navy blue. I've washed the coverlet before, but not on hot which it seems most dyes require. I also wonder what that temp will do to it as far as shrinkage. Has anyone done this?

Comments (15)

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

I have not dyed anything, but I found this tutorial on Little Green Notebook. This girl has crazy DIY skills. If you own the matching pillow shams, they could be your test run. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Green Notebook

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I want yellow drapes now.

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Years ago I dyed a white matelassé coverlet and matching pillow sham yellow for DD's room. Both turned out fine with minimal, if any, shrinkage. There is a Rit (Dye) that many grocery stores carry to remove most of the original color first, if you choose. If it were me, I'd go that route. As for just dying the coverlet blue over the light green, I'm unsure how it would affect the color you're hoping for, having never tried that before myself. Good luck . . . and don't forget to use white vinegar to set the new color when you're through! That, I know, is important.
    Lynn

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link ratherbesewing. Through it I found a link to the RIT website. Lots of good info there, and like lynn said, I'll use the color remover first. If it removes all the green, I'll be happy with white or off-white. If it's still green, I'll try a blue.

The lady in the link dyed her curtains in her bathtub, but other websites say that is a pain and the washer is easier. I've dyed in the washer before but that was also before I had a front loader.

• LE
    9 years ago

I've dyed a lot of fabric, but never a bedcover. A top loader with agitation will give smoother color. It might be possible in a front loader, but I doubt you'd get an even color. You need more water for that. You could certainly do it in a bathtub with a lot of stirring. A LOT of stirring.

If the overdye color is significantly darker than the existing color, it will not affect it a lot. Think of the dyes as working more like water colors than house paints (transparent, not opaque.)

(I think the vinegar 'fixing the color' is an old wives tale with regard to modern dyes.)

Good luck!

• LE
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention that the uneven color I mentioned will be less evident in a lighter color like the yellow curtains in the blog post linked above.

And here are some places you can go to ask questions of people who have a ton of dyeing experience:

Here is a link that might be useful: link to dyeing forums

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

What is the fabric content? If it is cotton, it will likely shrink, but it will dye better. If it is not cotton, then it may not dye the way you want. You must get the entire area wet before dying it. I cannot stress this enough. If you don't, it can come out splotchy. Ask me how I know, ugh! More of that make sure it gets stirred a lot, so it will dye evenly advice from over here.

Good luck!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I died my grandmother's old, Queen Anne bedspread, which is extremely similar to a matelasse. (Don't shoot me, it had many holes in it). I attempted to die it navy, but it came out dark blue. The other issue was that it's a lot of fabric, and since I did it in the washing machine (should have used bathtub), it did not come out 100% even.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I dyed a matelasse coverlet that was ivory to a lavendar. I used the color instructions on RIT webpage to achieve the right mix of color dyes. I did it in the washer and it was fine--no blotches and just the right lavendar in the end. Subsequently, I was in cold water. Shrinkage was minimal.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have dyed photography. Backdrops in plastic tubs outside on the lawn. I could stomp it with my colorful feet if needed as well

FYI when you are dyslexic you can read the headline and wonder why some one wants to dye their Maltese......

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link Lori, I'll check that out.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

LOL Kippy! Rofl!

• sloedjinn
    9 years ago

I dyed a matelasse bedspread navy once. I did it in the washer. It turned out so so. It wasn't uneven but I was never able to get it dyed as dark as I wanted.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

There was a post about this a few months ago that I've linked the bottom - it had some helpful tips about testing the PH of the water.

Here is a link that might be useful: dyeing in a washing machine

• Deborah lippitt
    last year

Dharma Trading Company dyes..you don't have to use hot..the colors are really colorfast too. I'm getting ready to dye my matelasse coverlet too. Dyed some heavy weight bath mats a few years ago..great job. You most definitely need a top loader..one that will still agitate with the top up..or else keep a close eye to shut it off once the agitating as stopped.

I've dyed tons of stuff in the past...oops , just checked out the timeline..a little late!

Sponsored
JuniperOats Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Creating Intentional & Welcome Designs in Fairfax