Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callie25

All Cream/White Bedroom Question

callie25
12 years ago

A few months ago, I was undecided if I wanted to paint my bedroom blue or cream. After beeskeeperwife posted her inspiration photo of the cream bedroom, I decided on the all cream & white. I want to bring a chair into the room (the room currently has a contemporary white couch that doesn't work for the space), BUT I'm thinking of putting a chair that's eggplant or an Aqua/turquoise chair(two of my favorite colors).

Should I stick with a cream color chair? And will a chair of another color as mentioned, just add a "What was she thinking?" to the room? You can view the inspiration photo by simply searching "cream". I'm not great at quickly posting a photo.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (10)

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

I am planning to redo our guest room in all white and I wondered, too, about a color spot. I think in the case of an all white room, the color spot ought to be small and unexpected, I'm afraid something large, like a chair, would be too in-your-face.

In my room the only non-white will be the floor (mahogany stained hard wood) and the blinds (cane), but they'll be covered with white WT and rugs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

IMHO, adding something substantial in a color undermines the serenity of the cream/white scheme. It really is no longer a scheme.

IN any event, if you do, you need to add the color in a few spots around the room so that it looks intentional.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

My lovely internet connection dropped and I lost what I was typing. Ugh.

I know there will be a lot of people who will tell you that monochromatic is boring and you need a "pop" of color. I think if you want to have the serene room that you are thinking about you should not add a chair in another color. I think it will pull your eye straight to the chair. That is not what you want.

When I was changing out my pillows in my family room (where I have a white couch, white rug) I was trying out fuscia pillows, and also pillows with lime green in them. I have lime green accents throughout my home. But what I found was those two options were too eye grabbing. It wasn't serene. They just didn't look like they belonged. Here are some not-so-great photos. Don't mind the crazy placement of the couch, a hole in the ceiling was being repaired. I had to do a lot of eye squinting imagining the couch back together. I ended up going with cream and gray pillows in various textures. Even though some people will call it boring..zzzzz....I like that it is more serene to the eye. And I am sure in a bedroom that is what you are looking for too.

These are the audition pictures:

This is how the final look came out:

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

I've had a white-on-white (actually, varying shades of cream) bedroom for years now. The furniture is mainly a warm medium brown fruitwood. But, I have a rose colored wingback chair in one "reading corner" and I think that it looks great. The fact that it's a soft, not a very bright or dark color helps keep the mood soft and romantic. I also have other rose and soft green accents around the room to tie in the chair.

That said, I also have a predominantly cream or cream living room, but with rusty red, dark green and deep gold accents and that works, too. Carrying accent colors around the room helps. The bolder accent colors make for a more eclectic, and not romantic look . . . which works totally for this room.
    Lynn

• callie25
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think you've all said it well.....serenity is what I'm looking for (and if I put the dark eggplant or bright turquoise chair; it would imo feel out of place). To quote pesky1, those bold colors would be too "in your face". None of my other spaces are monochromatic, so the bedroom is ideal for the cream & white. Beeskeeper, I love your LR (and you're right, the fushia and lime pillows just didn't do it justice).

• bestyears
    12 years ago

I would put a turquoise or eggplant throw on a cream chair -and at Christmas you can drape a red throw on it instead...

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

I love the serenity of white and cream as well and do not find monochromatic boring at all...I want calm, clean and simple after a long working day.

Beekeepers room is beautiful...I love the 'softness' of it. (I do love those lime pillows too. There is the green chair and it looks great too though)

If you think it's white/cream look that you're after, I would stick with pillows/accessories (vases/flowers etc) to add color when you want it. Not as big of a commitment as a chair. You can easily change from monochromatic to color just by switching up an accessory or 2...

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Meant to include this pic in my post above...
    This room makes me want to curl up and not leave that bed...tone on tone (with bedside tables for contrast)

[contemporary bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by new york kitchen and bath Kitchens & Baths, Linda Burkhardt

• suero
    12 years ago

Are you channeling Syrie Maugham and her famous all white rooms?

Here is a link that might be useful: What would Syrie Maugham do?

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I made a cream/ white bedroom many years ago after seeing a pic in a mag that wowed me. The pic only had a few yellow accessories. Perfect since I had some yellow pottery. I think just having little touches of color is key. It certainly is a calm look.