Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

black and white toile needs freshening

bbstx
10 years ago

Although I would love to throw out everything I own and start from scratch in the new house, that simply isn't going to happen. There will be lots of new things but for the guest room, I'm keeping the black and white toile bedding.

Currently, the set up is a black and off-white toile comforter (which I never use, preferring the look of an off-white coverlet), black and white toile pillow shams trimmed in large black and white check, and a black and white large check bedskirt. The headboard is upholstered in black with embroidered gold bees. There is a Victorian balloon back chair with the same embroidered fabric on the seat.

I would like to freshen up the look by changing the headboard upholstery and perhaps having the chair reupholstered or slipcovering the seat.

For paint, I'm sort of taken with Benjamin Moore's Organdy, described as a greyed-pink. However, I'm not tied to it, so please feel free to make other suggestions.

Other information that might be helpful to know, this guest suite is by itself upstairs so it impacts no other rooms. It has a double window with a northern exposure.

I do not have lamps for this room yet. Suggestions?

Please feel free to toss out ideas you may have to help me make this room look better.

Comments (24)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I love a strong color with toile, so I'd paint the room yellow. I also like stripes with toile...almost like pillow ticking. And you can funk-ify it with things like solid black lamps so the room becomes a little bit relaxed.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. A very good suggestion but DD will be the most frequent guest in the room and yellow isn't her favorite color.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Ask you DD what she would like to paint the room. So many shades for you to consider and both of you can meet in the middle. At this point the room is a wide landscape for color.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I found this picture on Houzz, the color is BM Iceburg. With black & white toile, you have so many choices. I'm not sure how the gold bee in the embroidery would impact your color selection.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well, the toile is so neutral, you can mix it with essentially any other color....green, blue, red, gray, peach, lavender...and you can go softer for a more gentle look, or you can go vivid for a more energetic look. And you can mix it up by using the vivid color as the accent as in this room, while keeping the wall color soft.

[Contemporary Kids[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kids-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_24653~s_2103) by Edmonton Design-Build Firms Marcson Homes Ltd.

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Sacramento Interior Designers & Decorators Kerrie L. Kelly

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by White Plains Interior Designers & Decorators Wallauer's Design Centers

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 14:02

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I love toile, and black and white toile is great because it becomes a neutral that can be mixed with so many other colors and still look fresh. The BM organdy is a muted color to me, so I would use stronger, brighter elements of this color, (bright pink perhaps), for pillows and other accessories in the room.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

technicolor, DD is married and has her own home. If I were to paint it yellow, she wouldn't have a complaint. It is just that I know yellow isn't her fav. All her life I've had at least one yellow room in the house. Plus, I'm doing quieter colors in the new house.

The embroidered gold bee fabric can easily be jettisoned, and probably will be.

The chair looks like the one below (below is Google image, not my chair). I'm seeing a fitted slip cover over the seat with a tiny pleated ruffle around the lower edge, like the one in the first photo in the below link, except without all the ballet tie falderol.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Enchanted Home

• sail_away
    10 years ago

We have a black and white theme running through our home, accented by various colors in different rooms. I love the look of khaki walls with the black and white. It has a bit of punch to the color, but is neutral and allows me to easily change up the other colors I use in the rooms, such as red, turquoise, yellow---even some green, if you're so inclined---and so on.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

How about gray walls and raspberry pink as an accent?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! love that raspberry sofa! I'm such a fool for pink!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Lime green!! The black/white toile with such a crisp vibrant color is a great combo. If you can, throw in a black/white stripe with some pillows or even window valances. Tone it down with your light pink.

I've used black and off white thru my home. I recently redid a guest room in a off white, raspberry, with black accents. I wasn't going to use the black, but found a picture with a black background and it brought everything together. It's also a cottage style with ruffle bedding and pillows.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

or Tiffany Blue

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness! That Tiffany blue is perfect with the black and white. Of course, the Audrey Hepburn poster doesn't hurt either. ;)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

And don't forget the champagne!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like the Tiffany blue...and the Audrey Hepburn poster! Maybe some of those bright pink accents? Why not? It's a guest room and you should have some fun with it! If you like it and your DD likes it....why not go for it??? :)

• polly929
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, I was going to suggest Tiffany blue as well! The pic is perfect. Good luck choosing bbstx!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You have given me much to think about. We are still a good 8 weeks from move-in so I have time to mull over all of these wonderful pictures and suggestions. Many thanks.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Good luck...please show us what you decide. :)

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

omg, annie... where did you find that first picture? that's my master bedroom! haha well it was before we moved. i still have the toile bedding here in our rental though. lol

flattered, but it's so weird to see pics of my house!

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

for what it's worth, it was much prettier after we wall mounted a flat screen and added a custom fireplace and moved furniture around a bit. :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Maggiepie11, such a beautifully decorated room. I know you've moved but adding the fireplace, moving the art & adding the mirrors above the bed...it's gorgeous. Do you remember the paint color?

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Oh, that is just lovely maggie. How funny that it found it's way here as a "do"! Its funny, it almost looks like one of those photoshops where one color is accented while the rest is black and white. Makes for a stunning affect!

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

thanks - sorry didn't mean to hijack, but it was so weird!!

i'm sorry to say that's one of the only paint colors i don't remember from our last house. it was a valspar color - a soft gray with very subtle blue undertones. if i got to play color swatch namer, i'd have called it "cape cod gray" :)

• weelass
    10 years ago

My Daughters room.