Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My favorite home is for sale

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

This is near where I grew up, about an hour outside of Philadelphia. It is very close to the Delaware river, New Hope etc. We used to take Sunday drives in this area, go out to firehouse dinners, etc. I would always remember this property, nestled by itself in a valley, like a dream.

I would have thought this kind of place would never come on the market (not sure how often it has). It's something I'd seriously consider if we didn't have the homes we have and the kids schools, etc. Maybe it will come on the market again when we are empty nesters ... Anyway, take a look. It really is very special.

It has a large house, a studio, a few barns and a mill, but this is the structure, a sheep pen, that people love, and it has somehow always stayed this way, about to fall down. They must have sprayed it with hairspray or something so it never changes, LOL.

{{gwi:2140816}}

It's hard to capture the way this spot is nestled into a valley, always cool and leafy.

{{gwi:2140817}}

The mill and pond:
{{gwi:2140818}}

Oh and yeah there is a house

{{gwi:2140819}}

Here is a link that might be useful: dreamy farm

Comments (39)

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

Wow. Just wow! If I had 2.3M and wanted to move there I'd buy it up. How picturesque and charming... plus acreage! Hope they get better pictures of it - I would expect that if I were the seller.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Magical.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous. I too love farms and old homesteads. Hopefully, whoever buys it has young children, because what a wonderful place for children to grow up.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibb, a bit of a downside is that the property/valley is bisected by a road. Albeit two lanes, and not really leading anywhere important, but popular for Sunday drives (guilty) and not far from a restaurant.

Christy, it is odd that the pics are so bad; you can just google the place and find random pics of it that are fabulous!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

You buy it, and I'll come visit!
    ;)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That is a downside, and depending on where the road is, could be a deal breaker for me. If it's far enough away and out of sight of the house, I'm not sure I'd care. At the same time, I'd want at least two dogs, and I'd worry about them if there was a road running through my property because I"d want them out roaming during the day and living as dogs should. Same with young children. But the first two pics look like paintings, so idyllic. If NH property taxes weren't so high, I'd look up there for a similar type of old homestead. You can feel the history of those kinds of places, which I love.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

So beautiful! My sister lives about 40 miles away from there. Just for kicks, she had me drive her large SUV and directed me to the narrowest bridge I have ever crossed. It was over the Delaware river somewhere in that area. It was so narrow, we had to fold the mirrors in.

• User
    9 years ago

The only change I'd have to make is to add more bathrooms. Otherwise it is perfect--- the number of bedrooms and the amount of property. I'm surprised the taxes are so low.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Maybe it's time for a farmhouse instead of a beachhouse? Ok beach does sound pretty darn good actually.

Beautiful property!!

• bpath
    9 years ago

The name is cracking me up! Cuttalossa? Great word play!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

So.... Mtn, you buy it, and you can host GW retreats there. Thanks!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Mtn.....you must purchase this....your country estate! And come on, have a heart, what are all of us (and you) going to do when your beach house is done??!!! We're all gonna need a new project!!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

I thought I knew that farm- had a friend live around the corner from there til divorce. It's hard to find a stone farmhouse in that area that doesn't sit smack on the road. Just not the nature of PA farms. I too spent lots of time driving around Bucks; usually towing a horse trailer and have towed across that bridge Magda ;)
    The espalier? I gotta figure out a way to do that. Thanks for posting this Mntrd. Really makes me travel down memory lane remembering all the PonyClub farms.
    I hope those Babydoll sheep have a new home to go to.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie,
    Driving home between our two homes, there are a lot of roads that remind me of this, no? I think that the similarity between CT and PA is a lot of what drew me here.

Tibb, a painter lived there for some 50+ years. The road is right next to the house, it's a big minus. I doubt it is ever trafficy (never when Ive been there, and my family is still nearby so I often take the scenic route) but more like a nuisance of occasional tourists.

Robo, Joanie, but really the mood is a lot like our Ct house. It's just that it is THIS house. I bet we all had a house we loved when were kids; if anyone else does , post it here, id love to see.

Bpathome, lol. You know I always thought it was CuttalOOsa. It's Indian.

SueB, Yes, Sue, because we know it's been, what, six weeks now since your last retreat/vacation/getaway/beach weekend/birthday/anniversary celebration? Poor SueB needs a retreat! Those bitter apple fumes are getting to her.

Joanie, I think KSWL chided me once and said I am supposed to work on world peace next. When I am done that though, someday .... far off.... I really want to do a Manhattan pied a terre! Maybe modern.

• amykath
    9 years ago

That is a stunner! WOW!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's great, but I might feel too much like I was a docent or a custodial tenant. I'd feel quilty about and question any change I wanted to make.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous! If it couldn't be a single family, it just screams bed & breakfast for me. The road would then be a big plus

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That is a spectacularly beautiful setting. Fairytale-ish.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion to google -- so many beautiful photos out there! One site says the name is from an Indian word that means "place of the middle spring".

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I agree, I often think lots of PA looks like CT, except the stone is very different....lots more slate and the fieldstone has more near-black colors. But certainly the landscape is very similar.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Gorgeous property!

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Every photo in this post makes me think "jigsaw puzzle".

• funkyart
    9 years ago

What a lovely property! This area of Bucks County is one of my two escapes from reality (the other is Ithaca). There's something about the river, the countryside, the air that brings peace and calm to my world. This would absolutely be dream home--heck, right now even the little shelter in the sheep pen is looking dreamy. An adirondack chair.. a cottage garden.. a book.. perfect.

I've been *very* close but I don't think I've driven by it. I'll have to make a point to be one of those sporadic annoying tourists. :)

We're heading out there in exactly two weeks-- currently making plans to have an early Christmas & Hanukkah dinner- Yardley Inn, Phillips Mill or Marsha Brown are on the short list. A friend just told me they loved their stay at Black Bass so I'll check them out for both stay/dining too. Do you have a favorite in the area? We're definitely in for a night-- havent decided yet whether to stay or move on to Phila or Chadds Ford for the remaining 2 nights.

• sochi
    9 years ago

How idyllic, I can see why you've held onto your love for this place. It's gorgeous, I love it.

• voila
    9 years ago

Ruh-Roh!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would love to live somewhere so idyllic :)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

missymoo12--That type of espalier is fairly simple, but takes more maintenance. You secure wire, or cable for strength if the weight warrants, in the pattern. Then you choose an appropriate espalier subject to grow along the wires. It takes some effort to stay on top of the task initially (however many years it takes to grow throughout the frame), so that the branches can be attached and pruned before they loose flexibility. Then there is maintenance pruning to maintain the correct form. It is a beautiful, even on a much smaller scale. I saw one at Disneyland long ago that was only about 7' wide x 5' high.

As for the house setting, lovely. The placement in a valley would not be ideal personally, due to the shortening of days in such a setting. It would take longer to see the sun in the morning, and then it would hide behind the other side of the valley all too soon.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I would love to live somewhere so idyllic :)

The funny thing is I would NOT love to live somewhere so idyllic, but I sure love to look at the pictures, and I wouldn't mind visiting!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

That's a storybook setting. Just absolutely beautiful!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Wow! Very enchanting! Like something out of a fairy tale.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Wow, that is really beautiful. Love the patio. I'd never leave.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Funky,

My favorite for dining is Honey in Doylestown. First, I love small plates. Second, I don't want just very good quality, I want food that is creative and unique. Honey is that. I hope it doesn't sound snobby, but Honey could compete in Manhattan, which is the ultimate compliment in my book. (or maybe L.A. is even more of a compliment)

My sister raves about Bolete, a bit further afield, but I have not been.

I love the Inn at Phillips Mill (so darn cute) and Black Bass, both not far from my dream house. But they have been around so long ... not sure if they are still up to the task?

As far as lodging. We have stayed at the BarleySheaf a few times. Disappointing and overpriced. Not much I can recommend. We are usually travelling as a family so need a suite, so a lot of the little BnB's don't work.

Have fun. Oh and i think HHireno is from the area; give her a shout?

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Funky,

We have lots of friends and family living in the New Hope/Newtown area and visit frequently. We were at The Inn at Phillips Mill in the summer and dined outside. It was very charming. Food was good.

We were given a couple of gift certificates for our wedding from our family who live right outside of NH to a B&B called Porches and a restaurant called the RiverHouse. Have not been there yet but they are anxious for us to try so both are probably very good places to check out for stay and food.

Our go to places for dinner with friends are in Newtown. They are Trattoria Tiramisu and Duck Soup on State Rd.

I grew up in NE Philadelphia and remember when New Hope was nothing but farmland and dark roads. I live less than 50 minutes from there in NJ.

Wish I had pictures of my SIL beautiful farmhouse just outside NH to share. Next time I'm there I will take pictures and post. It was built in the1800's. Beautiful grounds and fabulous home.

• bpath
    9 years ago

It's a real word? Well, then that's even better wordplay. I'm a sucker for puns, and now have great affection for whoever gave it that name. Sorry to hijack, where is the the Word Geek forum? Can we hold our annual retreat at Mtn's new country home?

• busybee3
    9 years ago

new hope is lovely during the week, but the tourist crowds on weekends take away much of the charm, imo...
    the black bass has improved since the renovations... it has an idyllic setting... that would be my choice of the places you listed funkyart...

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Mtn, I did not know you are from the Philadelphia area. I am on the other side of the city on the Main Line.

I would buy that house just for the arbor. However, I would require the current owner to take the rooster with them.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It looks very lovely! However, in real life, I'm a city girl, so I'd be ok there for a weekend in the summer but not for longer.

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Thank you, Mtn, Jersey and busybee!! I will respond on the other side so as not to hijack further (my apologies for doing so in the first place!)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm a city girl, so I'd be ok there for a weekend in the summer but not for longer.

Me too. That's what I was referring to when I said I couldn't actually live anyplace so "idyllic". Love looking at it though :)