Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmom_gw

Fix Viking Sewing Machine 6570

azmom
10 years ago

Could anyone please help me to find a person to fix my Viking Sewing Machine 6570 made by Viking Husqvarna?

The machine was a gift from my mother. I remember it cost her more than $900.00 in '81. In retrospect, I really did not deserve such a good machine giving my low sewing skills. I was a stay at home mother when kids were young; I sewed tons of clothes and home decorating items.

I then went back to work; in the early years I still used it to sew some of my work clothes and for home. Then got too busy to sew and noticed the machine has quit working. It has been kept in closet for the last 15 years.

Where can I find a person who could fix this machine? I am in Phoenix AZ. This is such a good mchine and has so many wonderful memories tie to it, I want to use it again.

I will cross post this question in the Sewing forum.

Thank you in advance for all the suggestions.

Comments (11)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

In the midwest, JoAnn's leases space to Viking dealerships. You might check this out to see if this relationship carries over to Arizona. A fabric store would at least be able to give you names of repairmen. A local store may be better with references than a chain for this.

When I googled viking sewing machine repair in Phoenix, I got many hits. You could check this out as well.

Good luck with this, I own 4 vikings and love them all.

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

I'd advise that you have a "factory trained" repair technician to fix your Viking. I wouldn't trust my Vikings to anyone other than a repairperson trained by Viking.

Love my Vikings!
    Teresa

• localeater
    10 years ago

Ditto what rnmom said, here in Maine Joanne's is salesfloor and connection to Viking/Husqvarna trained service people. I think it is the same in AZ. My mom is near Peoria, AZ and we have been to that Joann's together and I am pretty sure that while we were there I showed her my lovely Husqvarna which my DH bought me a few years ago.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Check out the Husqvarna site below, put in your zip code and a list of service centers should pop up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Husqvarna stores

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I took my Mom's old viking to Jo-Anns and they shipped it to an authorized repair man in NC. It took a few weeks to get it back. Of course, by then I no longer resisted temptation and bought a new one!
    ;)

• Jeannine
    10 years ago

All of the Viking dealers have repair people that they use. Just take the machine to your dealer and they'll take care of things from there.

I have a Husquvarna Viking and LOVE the service I get from my dealer (which is one of the leased locations inside a JoAnns). :)

• azmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You ladies are awesome! Thank you so much for your responses and suggestions.

Years ago I replaced sewing machine's electrical cord the dog chewed on it - good thing the machine was unplugged. At the time I also checked Jo-Anne and Hancock, but only found one store that specialized in Viking. Since then the store went out of business. It never occurred to me that Jo-Anne has became one of the Husqvarna dealers.

I will go to Jo-Anne today. Thank you again for the help especially for the suggestion of using Viking trained repair technician.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

You may want to call JoAnn Fabrics before you make the drive. In my area they don't deal with Viking machines.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

hi AZmom,

I just caught this post. Did you ever succeed in getting your 6570 tuned up? Vikings are notorious for seizing up when not in regular use, so it may just require a good dusting and oiling.

I confess I have 3 of these older Viking Husqvarnas; they are really irreplaceable, made in Sweden of all metal. You will never find that quality today even in very expensive new sewing machines, so please don't chuck it even if you can't find a local dealer, they still have high value. You can easily get a few hundred for it on eBay.

In Maine, too, there are Viking dealers in some of the Joann Fabric stores, but some independents exist as well.

I particularly adore this vintage Viking 6000 series for the dual gear drive that's excellent for heavier-duty sewing tasks like drapery and upholstering. (Can't recall off-hand if the 6570 has the second gear, it's a pull-out knob on the bottom right side of the machine.) They can sew leather upholstery like nobody's business; if you do a lot of home decor, it's the best all-purpose machine to have outside a commercial upholstery model.

Plus, they're just so darned purty. Is yours white or red? :)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Circuspeanut - Yes, she got it fixed.

You say, "I have 3 of these older Viking Husqvarnas; they are really irreplaceable, made in Sweden of all metal. " ... which is totally not true. I have an old Viking (6000 series) and the PLASTIC cam for the zig-zag width control broke.

Finding a new cam is not easy, but one is on the way via eBay.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Yes, sorry, Lazy, I meant the machine and motor itself was made of metal. Replacement stitching cams are usually easy to find on eBay and etsy; some are more used and thus more desirable than others, like your zig-zag. I have a zillion extra ones rolling around somewhere in a drawer since I rarely use any of the duckie-type stitches. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022