Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this table an antique?

Posted by anele (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 12 at 10:05

Is this table an antique?

It was bought used more than 30 yrs ago, but I guess that could still make it an '80s table. Seller lists it as an antique.

Not sure if it's possible to tell from the picture.

Gracias!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this table an antique?

Looks identical to the table my folks had in the late 70s/early 80s. My guess is ... not an antique.

o

I had one identical to it too, bought it new in 1987.

o

There are probably three of those on my Craig's List right now.

o

I think the seller should have called it "antique style".

o

Yeah-- that is what I was thinking. I would think it would be tiger oak and/or have a different patina if truly old. Too orange.

o

Around here, when something is listed on CL as *antique* it often means 20 - 50 years old!!! That term is tossed around a lot on CL, partly from ignorance and partly as a hook to get you to at least look at the item.

o

dlm, here, too. I see far too many '70s items listed as "antique."

o

Way too orange to be antique-worthy.

o

Look at the seam where the extension leaf fits. OOops. Might be 1985 but looks more 1995. Too not used looking.

o

The paws are a dead giveaway. They sort of nod to the style, but never get close to the actual definition of period (or even reproduction of period) paw-ishness.

L.

o

I would also expect older (100 years +) oak to have a much tighter grain. 100 years ago commercial tree farms with loads of fertilizer didn't really exist in the lumber industry like we have today.

The wood "looks" too new to look old, but I am no expert.

o

Very much an 80s table from the first round of "country" decor.

That one's better than most, because the feet are more 3-D carved, not flat.

o

I vote no, not an antique. I'm not sure it's even got a solid wood top. The graining around the edge doesn't' quite match the graining on top. I think. Hard to tell in a photo.

o

And the paw feet look like they are making a rude gesture...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here