Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy718

Please help me ID this curtain rod

romy718
10 years ago

I like the color & shape of the finials on this rod. I will be hanging gold panels and my dining room will be painted the same color as this picture, BM Pashmina from the Affinity collection. I'll post a pic of my drapes as the gold is not the same as these drapes.
My drapes don't puddle but are longer than these. I plan to hang new rod higher so they are at this length.
Any help finding a similar rod is appreciated.

Comments (13)

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are my side panels. It looks the pleats in my inspiration pic are attached to a small ring.
    Can I do this? A professional hung the original draperies which were these side panels, a heavy swagged topper & sheers. Do I need to have a professional hang the panels or can I save some money & achieve something that looks like my inspiration pic on my own?
    My DR gets afternoon sun. I am going to check into a coating on the windows to block UV light that would damage my furniture.
    Again, thanks for any advice you can share.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

You can do this on your own. Shiny gold rods are harder to find these days. You might want to consider getting a double rod and putting a sheer curtain under it for sun protection.

Once you find the rod, the rod will determine what you need to affix your panels to it.

Here is a double rod, but the color is not quite right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double rod antique gold

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Have you searched using 'brass' instead of 'gold' for the rod?

Check out the one in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot brass curtain rod

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    10 years ago

Penney's has some.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Romy, what did you end up doing with your panels? Did you find a rod?
    I came across this searching for something else and thought of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold_leaf_rods

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mlweaving, thanks for asking.. We removed the gold painted crown molding. It was that foam material so we replaced it with wood crown. We'll paint the crown & the ceiling white & the walls BM Pashmina, hopefully next week. The color of the below finial looks good with the paint color and the drapes. I'm just trying to figure out what size finial to choose. I love the shape & size of the finial in the inspiration pic. Those ceilings are 10 ft with 7.5" of crown.
    Thanks for the link.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

To answer your question about hanging the drapes.....yes, you can do it yourself. If you want to use the rings look at getting some wood rings to match the drapery rod or paint them to match. Then buy some drapery hooks, attach them to the back of the pinch pleats and then hook them to the rings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hooks and rings

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mlweaving, it is Paris Texas Hardware. The finish is Titanium, a silvery gold or a goldy silver. They are a little less expensive than The Finial Company. I liked several of the finials from TFC, but they didn't have a finish I liked as well as Titanium. This finial is the Reid. The first one I posted is the Amboise.
    They both go with the 1 3/8" rod. I think I like the Amboise finial better, 3" x 5.25"(length). All the shops I've been into say I should do at least a 1 3/8" rod as anything smaller will look skimpy. My ceilings are 9 feet & the rod will be about 120" in length. Any thoughts? I am obsessing over this as I really don't like a big rod & finial.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is another example of the Titanium finish.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Romy, I'd have to agree with the shops opinions that you need at least a 1 3/8" rod for a 10' rod.
    While I seriously dislike big for the sake of Big, and have never liked the oversize furniture trends put forth by the PotteryBarn type places, I believe that you do need to keep your rod in proportion to the size of the room and the length of the rod.
    Honestly I'd probably be looking at a 2" rod for your room. a 10' rod is a long rod, and you don't want it to look like a pencil. How wide is your trim?
    Remember that with a round rod you're not seeing 2", or 1 3/8", you're seeing whatever the face is that is visible, and if my math skills were a lot better I'd be able to tell you.

I do love the Titanium finish, and I like the Amboise finial better than the pine cone one.

Your panels are fixed right, you don't intend to open and close them?
    When you buy the rings make sure to buy the rings that have another little eye ring screwed into the bottom of the ring, as that is necessary to put the hook into and allow the decorative ring to still hang vertically, not go crooked. You can buy wood rings and paint them yourself then screw in those eyelets, but I'd really recommend buying the ones that go with the rod you choose.
    Then how much of the ring shows is totally dependent on where you put the pin in the pleat. If you put the pin half way up the pleat so that the turn of the hook is just below the top edge of your drapery you'll get the look in your inspiration pic. You don't need to hire someone to hang them for you.

**Make sure to put the pin in the pleat, then measure from the inside of the curve on the hook to the hem to determine how high to hang the rod. Then measure from the screweye on the bottom of the ring to the floor. You'd be surprised how many people who hang their own forget about the height of the pins and the length of the drop of the ring.**

Thanks for the link to ParisTexas rods. I'm not finding any provision for curved pieces for bay windows. I'll give them a call after the first of the year.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I agree with mlweaving re: the diameter of the rod. My ceilings are 10' and I used 1 5/8" diameter rods, 8' long. After they were installed I realized I could have easily gone with larger rods. Since you have a much wider span to cover I think you'll be much happier with a larger diameter rod.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marji - your info is truly a guiding light. I so appreciate the details regarding the rings, eye rings & hooks. I was thinking the ring size would be the determining factor to achieve the look in my inspiration pic. The placement of the hooks makes more sense. By placing the pin half way up the pleat, I am eliminating a gap between the the ring & the drape, correct?
    Yes, my panels are stationary, my crown molding is 6.5", there is 5.5" between the bottom of the crown & the top of the window trim. Ceiling height is 9ft. My drapes are 99" and I want them to just touch the floor.
    The old white traverse rods are still up so I am going to play around with the pins & hooks to get a height for the little eye ring.
    Annz, thanks for your input. Between you & Marji, I'm done looking at rods less than 1 3/8". Huge weight off my shoulders.
    I like the PTH Amboise in Titanium but I'll check out a sample 2" rod before I order.
    Marji, I'm also looking for a new light fixture, some tone of gold, possibly an Empire style fixture. I like the Titanium finish because it blends into the paint color & still goes well with the gold drapes. Do I need to think about matching the color of drapery hardware to the light fixture? My light fixture will most likely be more gold than the Titanium.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    I have both the PTH & The Finial Company catalogs with their price lists if I can help you. The Design Center I got them from thought I was a designer, most likely due to what I've learned on GW. Draperies - I'm pretty clueless but learning.