Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

The perfect bed

Holly- Kay
9 years ago

I have been on a quest for years for the perfect bed. After all these years I finally have it. Excuse the length of this post but so many here are on the same quest that I thought it would be good to share.

The components that I consider part of the perfect bed is:

mattress (imo, the most important)
pillows
bed linens
mattress pad

The first perfect component that I found was my mattress. I wanted a Tempurpedic but all of them seemed way too firm. Like lying on wet sand, not comfy at all. I then looked at Sleep Number and I just couldn't commit. I saw an ad in a mag introducing the new Tempurpedic Cloud. That sounded perfect because I like a supportive but soft mattress. After testing at Sleepy's I bought the Cloud Luxe model. The off gassing was awful but when it finally abated I knew I had made the perfect choice as far as the mattress was concerned. I ALWAYS sleep hot but the Cloud wasn't any hotter than my old mattress. This mattress is the perfect combo of softness and support. I sleep the night through and wake with no aches and pains.

I hated the supposedly waterproof mattress protector that Sleepy's insisted you had to have to not void the warranty. It was thin and didn't fit the mattress well there were always crinkles in it that made me feel as though I was sleeping on a ridge of rock but before I addressed that problem I needed new bed linens.

I hate the feel of sateen sheets. Each time I bought a different set it seemed that it was worse than the last. Doing a google search I found a link from GW about the quest for crisp sheets. Thomas Lee sounded good and I requested a sample. They seemed nice but I couldn't pull the trigger on them. Then Violet mentioned how much she loves linen sheets. The RL looked great so again I requested a sample. Hmmmm the strong white looked to be exactly what I was looking for but the price made me gag. I ordered a set of Pima cotton sheets from LL Bean and they were the best so far but still not perfect. Several months went by and I kept pulling my RL sample out and caressing the fabric. I decided to take the plunge knowing this was either the smartest bedding decision I ever made or the most expensive bedding mistake I ever made. The RL website pushed me over the edge and I ordered the summer bed set in strong white. The set was beautifully tied with grosgrain ribbon and smelled heavenly because of the lavender sachet that was included. Once they went on my bed I knew I had a winner.

My pillows were driving me crazy. I was using down pillows but they flattened and weren't comfortable after a short period of use. Then I tried, what seemed like, every memory foam pillow made including the very expensive Tempurpedic pillows that I bought with my mattress. They were so hard it was like resting my head on a block of granite. They all made my head so hot that I couldn't sleep. My final memory foam pillow was one with a cooling gel pad in it. This was better but still not good. I posted about pillows here and Tib suggested the Natura Ultimate Latex pillow. I ordered one to make sure I liked it before ordering a second one. I loved it the first night but it seemed just a tad high but by the second night I knew I had a winner.

My last purchase was a new mattress pad. This was the easiest purchase. I saw a pad carried by The Company Store. It was supposed to be a cooling mattress pad because of the way it was manufactured. Since I always sleep hot this sounded perfect because it wicks the moisture away keeping you cooler. From the first night it was a winner.

I now have the perfect bed. The last thing I purchased to add even more comfort was a very quiet air circulator to help keep me cool in the summer.

Comments (27)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

HK, can you tell me more about the air circulator you got?

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Watch out! With a bed that divine, you might find it very hard to leave it in the morning! Haha sounds wonderful - congrats on the winning combo!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

My perfect bed has George Clooney in it, so it's not lookin' likely that I'll achieve the perfect bed in this lifetime.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

he would probably be best in your dreams anyway, tibbrix!!

it is an awesome feeling to love the bed you climb into at night! I pretty much love my current bed-- mattress is getting older, but still good for me- I like it better than my husb does-- and I am always hot and he cold, so that might be something we address when we look for a new mattress... assuming I still sleep hot then!
    I am fascinated by the sleep # beds-- seem pretty nice, but don't know if I would like the division in the mattress...

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol Tib! Well then let's say it's as perfect of a bed that you'll find that doesn't include GC. The air circulator is a Vornado. It's small but very quiet and does a great job of keeping me cool.

Swen it is very hard to want to get out of bed!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

H-K - Was it the CoolMax mattress pad you got? Does it fit the Tempurpedic Mattress snugly? Most have the same issue as "deep" fitted sheets.

This post was edited by sjhockeyfan on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 11:41

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Glad you are enjoying your perfect bed, H-K!! I did try the Natura Ultimate Latex pillow a couple of months ago when everyone was buzzing about it, but it was too hard for me. DH liked it though so it's worked out ok. Not often you hear someone totally happy. I keep a dust-mite control cover on our mattresses that I order from National Allergy company. They were recommended by my allergy doc and do protect and do a good job.

My next step toward a perfect bed will likely be to order a sample of those RL sheets! And in a year or two we'll probably be mattress-shopping. Who knows what the latest thing will be then. I absolutely dread it after reading the threads here, but I'll be keeping yours in mind.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SJ, yes it was the Cool Max. When I ordered it I didn't have high hopes even though the reviews were good but it's perfect. My mattress is deep and it still fits perfectly.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Sorry to be such a "noodge", but how deep IS your mattress? My problem is the opposite - my mattress is NOT deep - only 9", so most fitted items are too deep/big.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SJ I will measure it when I get home. I know that the top of my mattress is 30 inches from the floor. The Cool Max should easily fit a lower profile mattress because the sides are very stretchy to accommodate a full range of mattress heights.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If I were to place a pea under your bed, would it ruin everything? haha

That sounds incredible! I got a pillow from Mattress Firm and I cannot stand to sleep without it. Its like my woobie. In case you ever tire of your pillow (no pun intended), check out this one. I got it on sale for 79.00

I want some photos of this perfect bed! Bet it is hard to get up in the morning!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pillow

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sj, there has been some discussion here about the benefits of using flat sheets, as hotels do, as bottom sheets. I'm doing that now. It's great.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Interesting. What is the difference?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I am planning to do that with the bottom sheet, but I still need a simple mattress cover (to go under the bottom sheet). I don't even want or need anything poofy or cool (although that wouldn't be bad), just something that doesn't bunch up and shift around.

H-K, without going into too much personal detail, did you get the summer set with just one bottom sheet, two, four? Cyn, same question?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I got the summer bed set with one sheet, two pillow cases and the summer cover, which is slightly heavier, it seems, than the sheet -it also has decorative seams running from top to bottom along edge of mattress (does that make sense?). I used it as a top sheet until last week. I am going to order two more pillow slips and another sheet to use as a top sheet after the new year.

Perfect bed, indeed!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sj, I see. I thought you were referring to a bottom sheet.

Along the same lines as using a flat sheet as a bottom sheet, my favorite mattress pad I have is one I got at Soaringheart.com (they don't have it anymore, and it got ridiculously expensive before they stopped selling it). It is a cotton quilted flat mattress pad, no skirt or strips to put under the corners. And believe it or not, it stays flat, doesn't crease, etc. I think the problem with mattress pads now creasing is because of the different mattress depths, so the companies make mattress pads meant to accommodate mattresses from 12 inches to 20 inches deep.

However, the flat ones are SO hard to find. Soaring Heart has the flat wool mattress pad, which I would buy in a heartbeat - IF I needed one and IF it wasn't likely ridiculously expensive.

Oh oh! I found some . turns out they're referred to as "unfitted mattress pads."

Here's a cotton one like the one I have, only this one has the corner straps, which would not stop me from getting it.

But also Google "unfitted mattress pads."

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Cotton unfitted mattress pad

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

AK, I think the biggest difference is that, by using a flat sheet as a bottom sheet, you can custom fit it to your bed by tucking it in tightly using hospital corners. With fitted sheets, you can't tuck them in at all, so they can ride up and crease.

Also with the flat sheet, you don't have to do that thing where you have to lift one corner, put it under your knee to really boost it, and pull the last corner over it to get it on.

Another benefit is that, if you have a closet full of flat sheets, if one best stained or ripped, just pull out another for the bottom sheet. But if you're "stuck on" fitted sheets with flats as tops, you're owned by the whole "set" thing.

And lastly, of course flat sheets are a heck of a lot easier to fold..AND your socks and undies don't accumulate in a corner in the dryer like they do in fitted sheets!

Of course, you want to make sure that the flat sheets are big enough to be able to tuck them in on all four sides. I just ordered 12 from a hotel supply place. They assured me the queens were big enough, because that is what hotels do. I didn't believe her, but lo and behold, they're gigantic and the bottom tucks in on all sides. And an aside, at least with these sheets, they're color coded. So the queens have a green thread at the bottom, the kings another color, etc. What a great idea! You don't have to unfold them to guess which bed they go on!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SJ, the mattress is 13 1/2 " deep. I bought the summer bed like Cyn describes and then ordered another sheet. I am still using my summer cover as the top sheet but I have two sheets that I use as bottoms. My next is one more flat sheet and one more set of pillow slips.

AK, I seriously have the princess and the pea thing going on. The slightest rumple, crinkle, or crease makes it impossible for me to fall asleep. I have slept sitting upright in a chair with my feet propped on another chair when a hotel bed is too firm.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Tribbix, tell me more about the hotel supply co sheets - 100% cotton? Percale or sateen? Measurements?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SJ, I'll get that info. for you later today. I'm not sure they're what you'd want for yourself. I did get the 100% cotton sheets because I want my renters to be as comfortable as possible, and the price sure was right, and they're soft and great…not the crispy percale, and I wouldn't call them paper thin but they're also not my Thomas Lee sheets. Perfect for guests/tenants. then again, I can't speak for you either!

I don't know why I don't write this stuff down, where I got it, the brand, etc.!

• Danahills
    9 years ago

I have a new Tempurpedic, but I got the firmer one and I get two or three toppers for it so I can change how it feels. I had an old tempurpedic and loved it. I also used different toppers for my old one. I have a bad back, and leg and foot problems. Changing the topping once in a while, if needed, makes it like a custom bed. The off gassing is really bad for a while, but goes away with use. I don't use a special mattress cover because a thicker mattress pad seems to defeat the purpose of memory foam. I use a tee shirt sheet for a mattress pad. I use Coolmax sheets and love them. I don't know if they work well to cool me off, but they are very comfortable. My pillow is a water filled pillow I got from my chiropractor. You can adjust the hardness easily by adding more or less water, and it never needs fluffing! It is the most comfortable pillow I have ever used. Right now, I am changing from a down comforter because of allergies, and trying a wool comforter with a cotton flannel duvet cover. My cats and I will never want to get out of bed......

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

This is a great topic. Thanks for posting.

It really is a combination of all you have listed that makes for a great night's sleep, not just the mattress. I finally did find one, after getting it wrong twice and will now work on the rest of the bedding and a pillow and check out these items.

Happy Holidays everyone!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy Holidays to you also Tinker!

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

At least two of our mattresses were ruined in the fire. This is one of the most distressing losses. I know it is going to be a lot of work to find new ones that work. My daughter had a mattress that we bought from a neighbour that moved. They had it in their guest room and it had only been used for one two week period. It was the comfiest of all mattresses. When she had friends stay over they would all comment on it. My best sleeps were when she was away at camp and I could steal a night or two on that mattress. There is a name on it, but no description of what firmness, etc.

My bed was pretty good, but not perfect. I had found a down mattress cover that was marked down from $400 to $80. I'm hoping it can be rescued, but highly doubtful since the ceiling fell directly on it. Sigh. I should probably start the search now so the beds are ready when the house is.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

edited-posted on wrong thread! Sorry

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 11:38

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I recently took the plunge and ordered RH stonewashed linen sheets and a matching duvet cover. After 3 washings in vinegar and baking soda to soften I love these sheets! I sleep hot also but haven't had one incident of night sweats since I started using these sheets months ago.

Also love that they're oversized so no more issues trying to get the fitted sheet corners on or tucking in the sides of the flat sheet.

Love them so much I just ordered a second set.

• artydecor
    9 years ago

Hooly-kay, thanks for the post and all your recommendations. I really need a new pillow and I'm going to give the latex pillow a try.
    I posted before about my love of linen bedding, and I want to give another shout-out to Linoto. Very nice quality and their prices are reasonable. If it wasn't for Linoto, there is no way I could afford linen sheets. I don't have any affiliation with the company, but before I found them I bought a set on ebay that felt like burlap (I had to get up in the middle of the night and change the bed) and an Eileen Fisher set that wore out after two years. For anyone who wants to try linen, it's very important to get a high quality set, even though they're pricey. Cheap linen s**ks.