Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massagerocks_gw

looking for opinions on my new "sanctuary" former DR

massagerocks
10 years ago

I could really use some opinions. I switched out my LR and DR a few years ago. Finally, I'm getting around to fixing up the former DR into a small quiet "sanctuary" for myself..no
TV lol. The room is about 10 X 12. I just purchased a sofa and chair and am waiting on the light fixture. I just cant decide on a rug. I'd also like to purchase an ottoman, so looking for opinions on ottomans also (thinking a leather tufted one, but what shape or would 2 look better?). Here are some pics, before, after and the adjoining DR (former LR).
ok...so opinions on rugs...am I even on the right track with these choices? and ottoman.. thanks so much..
before (really messy b/cus it was just used to collect stuff after we moved out the dining room furniture)

my new sanctuary (in progress)

current dining room (former LR)

3 rugs I'm thinking of (sorry I cant re-size, but I like them equally)
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
waiting for this light (from Ballard, wont be shipped until 2/14, so I can still cancel if the style wont look good)
{{!gwi}}

please ignore the coffee table, its there until I get an ottoman. will buy new end table also, thinking something industrial style (metal/wood)?. The big cherry cabinet across from the sofa needs to stay for now. I repurposed our computer cabinet and it holds all my cookbooks and oversized cooking things that I have no room for elsewhere. The painting is a James Hagan of sentimental value, would like to use it if looks okay.
what do you think? also open to other suggestions..oh, and what kind of drapes ??
thanks so much!

Comments (20)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like your choices. I like rugs 2 and 3 for the pattern as opposed to the geometric. I think the light will look pretty. For drapes...I would do 2 panels picking one of the deeper tones from the rug for a little contrast with the beige walls.

Are you using the ottomans for just a coffee table or to put your feet up as well? If just a table, then one large one. For me, the leather tufted would be a little too masculine. Again, I might pick a color from the rug...is that sage green or crimson I see?....to bring in some more color to the room. If you want an ottoman to put yoru feet up I might do two..so you still have a "coffee table" when you have your feet up or if others are in there with you.

I like the painting and sconces. I don't think you need to do much more in there...looks pretty.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Take a peek at the Safavieh rugs below. There are some very pretty ones and good prices. Scroll down and look at the third one from the left, it has more personality.

Here is a link that might be useful: safavieh rugs

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I like the second rug. I have a similar one and think it is gorgeous. Right now you don't have much pattern in the room and the rug would provide that.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

joanie, yes the ottoman would be used to put feet on. I like the idea of a leather to pick up rug color ..
    andee..i like the 2nd and (3rd) one best too i think.
    yayagal...i spent all weekend perusing Overstock. I didnt think to check Amazon.. that rug is so pretty..I'm afraid of color, i dont have any blue elsewhere in my home so not sure? it would have to be the last one in stock..i'm so indecisive!

This post was edited by massagerocks on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 15:25

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I think that I like the third, but feel like I am comparing apples to oranges based on the perspective of the photo. I find the colors much more "sanctuary like". I agree with joanie to find the rug first and then pick an color for an ottoman, either leather or a nice fabric. The green or rust color would be pretty. You'll have to rely on others for window treatments, I am helpless!

And I hear you on the indecisive! I almost feel like the internet has made things so much harder decor wise. It feels like the options are simply endless. I always feel like if I stop looking, the next one was probably going to be the perfect one.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love your sofa and chairs. I also looked at the larger sizes of the rugs. No. 2 has reviews for the other sizes, which are very good, only one person says the rug looked more "orange."

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here are the links to the second and third rugs. I like the muted look of the 3rd one. It has rust which ties in with the DR rug. But the 2nd one is "prettier". Originally, my vision was a very soft antiquey look to the whole room.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-knotted-Ivory-Brown-Wool-Rug-6-x-9/6518795/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Zeigler-Taupe-Ivory-Hand-spun-Wool-Rug-6-x-9/6551257/product.html

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I LOVE the rug that Yayagal linked - just the right amount of "soft color" for the other neutrals in the room.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Ahhh, now that I see the rugs head on I prefer #2. Or the gorgeous one that yayagal posted, which may give you the more muted colors that you were looking for. Either is quite pretty and will look great in your room (which is feeling very sanctuary-like!)

• loribee
    10 years ago

Congrats to you for making a little room of your own!~
    I like the 2nd or 3rd rug....or the yaya girl selection. Had you thought about pulling out one of the fun colors from the rug and painting your coffee table? I think it would provide a nice punch of color and save you from buying another table.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I love ottomans! I think a rectangular shape would be perfect. Have you considered a rug with a bit more depth in color? I like yaya's the best thus far. If you do go with a more neutral rug maybe you could use some reds, greens or blues in your accent pillows, art and accessories.

Your room is lovely! Looking forward to progress pics. Btw, overstock has some great choices on rugs and great prices too! Also, you can check out their ottoman choices. Tjmaxx and Homegoods are also great places to look.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The rug Yayagal linked doesnt have enough good color reviews, but now you've got me thinking something with a little more color than what I originally envisioned. I'm not sure if I'm getting off track or not. Ive narrowed down from about 200 that I like, my eyes hurt!...Would any of these look good?

href="http://s296.photobucket.com/user/massagerocks/media/DINING ROOM/new dining room/brightongreen.jpg.html" target="_blank">

This post was edited by massagerocks on Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 10:59

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and I found this pretty Baker table on CL, but its 28 inches tall and my sofa arms are only 23 inches...so would it be too tall next to my sofa?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

For sanctuary, I want relax which the very soft colors in the 2nd rug give me. But all of them are pretty. I think that's what makes picking rugs so hard.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love the second one with the soft blues! Lovely!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

That is a gorgeous table, and it's Baker ... Where is the CL location? :) IMO it would be too high for an end table, but it would be a great entry table or occasional table.

I like the 2nd rug you posted above best. Have you looked at Rugstudio.com or BallardDesigns.com or TheRugCompany.com?

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the blue rug too, but having trouble picturing it in the room as i dont have any blues in my house. Would it look okay with the rug in the adjacent room, which is rust, green and ivory? thank you mlweaving, I only looked at Ballard, not the others. I did get some samples from Ballard, but they sent only 2 of what I asked for, the rest were different ones. They looked very different in color from online. I'll check Rugstudio and RugCompany. There's just so many choices. She's been trying to sell that table for several months. I was waiting for the sofa to check the height, but thinking I should purchase it anyway.
    Maybe I could put it in the corner where the bookcase is as an accent table instead of an end table?

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm having the hardest time picking a rug. I like the ones with soft blues/beiges, but since I dont have any blue anywhere in the room or elsewhere I'm just not sure. And now after looking at a thousand rugs or more, all the oriental style designs are starting to look alike. What do you think about a seagrass rug? Would it look good and be comfortable, or should I stick with finding a more traditional designed wool rug?

Here is a link that might be useful: seagrass rug idea

• teacats
    10 years ago

a)Table: Love the CL table -- but as wisely mentioned above -- take a tape measure and check to measure its height against the sofa. But the table might work well in the corner of the dining room -- where the clock now sits ....

b)Rug: All of the rugs are truly gorgeous -- but I vote for #4 in the photos above (the post is dated Dec. 4 10:38) -- because it has a touch of the wonderful red in the dining room rug -- but much softer colors. And -- to answer your question -- it would be much softer to the touch.

For a quick experiment -- try placing the red seat cushions from your dining room on the new chair and sofa -- just to test and see if you like the impact of the color ....

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i like your original 2nd one, and i like the bottom 3 of the 2nd group you posted... (tho they're all darker...)
    many times, i think, with rugs it's easier to buy from a store where you can take it home and look at it and return it if you don't like it and try another--- that's what i prefer to do. rugs can look alot different in person than online and the process might be less overwhelming or at least less anxiety producing that way too!! :)