Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

that ever elusive farm table

nosoccermom
9 years ago

Too much bowed?

At auction, so I can't see it. Plus, shipping would add about 200-250.00. Starting price is 300.00

I asked and was told, "we are of the opinion that it does bow slightly in the center, but not enough to inhibit its overall aesthetic or use."

{{gwi:2140778}}

{{gwi:2140779}}

Comments (28)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I would grab it! I saw one quite similar somewhere online and it was waaaay more than that-in the thousands. Of course, could go higher in the auction, but maybe you will be lucky!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I want one, too, but without that much 'patina'. I'll be honest and say the bowing would bug me. The EA one that I finally got more pics of after 3 weeks, had a lot of damage to the top by the seller's kids, so I passed on that, too. They ARE elusive.

I wish you were closer to Maine,. so you could see the CL pine hutch in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farm House Hutch - $350 (Kennebunk)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ohmy, my 3dogs, I would drive back to DC from Maine for that cupboard! Lovely.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, that bowing ... I'm just wondering whether it might be an optical illusion, but it's probably wishful thinking.

I love that hutch! cyn427, you can always use uship. I actually shipped a huge china cabinet with lots of glass panes (extra charge) for 350.00 from DC to New England.

• User
    9 years ago

With chairs around it, the bowing would be much less noticeable. I think it's great!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wondering whether stuff will slide towards the ditch.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I don't think anything would slide; it's not that bad. Stuff in the center may appear to be slightly tilted, but very slight. Do you have the dimensions and do they work for you? Check height, as those old ones are often lower.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

29.5"h x 78.5"w x 32.5"d
    Ideally, I'd want a little longer, i.e. around 84"

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It's not very wide. The bowing would drive me crazy.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

I'm guessing the auction house would post a picture that shows the item at its best, so there may be more bowing then shows.

Imagine trying to place a long centerpiece in the middle of the table. You might need shims to get it even.

ML

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, unless it's boat shaped.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

When you gave your measurements you said 32.5" across. Is that right? That's really narrow. My DR table is 42" and sometimes I find that narrow. With it only 32" I don't think you could sit someone on the sides at the end with someone sitting at the end. (Does that make sense) Knees would be banging.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I would love to find a narrow farm table! Have been looking ever since I passed up one years ago near here. The length might be a little short. Wish you could go see it.

Yikes, don't tempt me on the hutch! I am supposed to be eliminating, not adding! Still...

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

cyn427, I have a large secretary that I had shipped from Stenella's in PA many years ago in my living room, so it CAN be done. :-)

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

my3dogs - If I sent you the money can you get and keep that for me? I should be in the area sometime next fall.
    (lol)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I probably could, but I might have to move out, because of all my finds! I need to stay away from CL, but that does appear to be a very good buy, doesn't it?

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

That is a gorgeous table but the bowing would concern me. Does the bowing interfere with using the table. I'm ignorant in regards to antiques - bowing makes me wonder if there were construction problems or stability issues.

Ideally it would be great to see a photo where they had a straight edge or a long level on the table top and took a picture to show you the gap so you could truly judge the bowing.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cyn,
    what about this one:
    {{gwi:2140780}}
    96" long.

Actually, the table in the original post sold for 300.00 at auction.

Here is a link that might be useful: French farmhouse table

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or what about this?
    starting at 25.00, located in Schnecksville, PA

{{gwi:2140781}}

In Maine, starting at 50.00, estimated 100.00-200.00
    {{gwi:2140782}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh now, see, that is EXACTLY my style. I would bid on that in a heartbeat. If you don't, let me know. I will! ðÂÂÂ. I think you should go for it. That is very like the one I saw years ago out in Warrenton, but we weren't married yet and I didn't need one so big. Should have gotten it anyway. Kicking myself.

Seriously, if you decide against it (don't!), let me know.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I was referring to the table, nsm. The other pieces are nice, too. I like that dry sink. I tend to want to see and touch the furniture, though. Still, I would take a chance on that table! Looks like the aution is after Christmas. Now, wouldn't that be a fun excuse to run to NYC?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please, go for it! That's why I posted it.
    That table is too long for me by about 10".

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

10" is nothing! You could make it work! Think about it. It is a school night, so I am off to bed. The auction isn't until Jan. 1. There is time for both of us to think about it. :). I do not need it. I would like it, but it isn't a necessity. We'll see. Could be an outing between Christmas and New Years!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Edited to remove double post.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 21:19

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope, a foot too long and also too narrow for me. You'd have to drive to Michigan, though, if I read correctly.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I didn't see that. Thought it was being auctioned in New York City. Oh well. It also sounds as though it is a new table made with old wood.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Most furniture savvy carpenters could fix a sag without breaking a sweat. Might take a little time. Might call for some permanent hidden reinforcement, even with such a drawer. But no sweat.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, well, too late :(

You're right, cyn, we want the real deal. i didn't read the small print!