Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Williamsburg Christmas Decor pics

ttodd
15 years ago

Got back from my vacation to Williamsburg last night to see the Christmas decorations and took some pics for me and to also share w/ you all. There aren't so very many as I was quite rushed that day and then also later noticed I had my camera on some wrong settings and instead of taking pictures I made a whole bunch of 90sec. movies w/ my camera and a fair amt. of my pic's came out w/ a blue tint. No idea what setting that was!

Loved the quiet simplicity of this home:

My favorite

Some others

Comments (14)

• southernheart
    15 years ago

Absolutely lovely! We took trips to Williamsburg several times when I was little, and your photos brought back such happy memories.

I was going to change my outside decor to a more Colonial "flavor" this year, but time got away from me. Your photos are great inspiration.

I hope that you had a nice time on your trip! Thank you for sharing your photos with us.

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

Very nice! Like Southernheart, I have fond memories of Colonial Williamsburg from my childhood. We lived in the DC area when I was in 4th to 6th grade -- a wonderful time to live in the nation's capital. I think the beautiful simplicity of these decorations is just what we need in this day and age!

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! So very different from the tinsel-y glitz that one normally associates with holiday decor. That pineapple and apple "fan" is just stunning!

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Ttod, glad you had a nice trip. I also love the "burg." My sister lives there, just minutes from where you took these pics, & that's where we gather every year for Christmas. We'll be getting together on the 21st this year. I live about 45 miles away.

Gorgeous photos! I love the understated elegance too, auntjen!

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing the great Christmas pics! We loved seeing each & every one.....bonnie

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

wow - thanks so much for sharing! I love the simplicity & natural, understated elegance of the fruit-based decor. Very inspirational :)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing those. That pineapple and apple swag or whatever it is, I'm not sure what it would be called, was featured on that show Room by Room years ago. I remember Sherrie showing how to put one together.

I'm really starting to like the fruit themed decorations. They never appealed to me before but, for some reason they are now.

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

We call them Williamsburg fans and I love them. We see a lot of them in New England, but it seems that Williamsburg has tons of them. Thanks, ttodd, for sharing your photos. I enjoyed viewing them all.

• cat_tail
    15 years ago

I also want to thank you for posting these. They are beautiful! I love the green of the Granny Smiths and I'm definitely going to use some of those this year. It was a real treat to look through.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're welcome - glad you enjoyed them. I really like the idea of using oranges in Christmas decor - always have - just was never able to fully figure out how I could do it nicely. HOWEVER - after seeing My3dogs mantle pics w/ her small orange (or kumquat) topiaries, I really need to reevalute trying it again!

• marisany
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting these! What lovely, simple decorations! I wish I could put something like that together.

Maybe some talented soul will post a thread with directions for making one of those apple or orange studded wreaths? I also love the pomegranate wreath.

Those houses are incredible.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Lovely! What a wonderful time of the year to visit there . . . lucky you! Thanks for sharing.
    Lynn

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

I'm not the talented soul, but I had seen an article about a very talented person who makes them. I have posted it as a new message, so as not to hijack this thread. If you make one, please share photos.

• User
    15 years ago

The williamsburg catalog features a wrought iron wreath hanger that has a row of round circles at the bottom that hold apples or oranges (which are sort of splayed out on the top edge of the wreath as hung) and they make it look like you've created a W'burg original! I gave these to all the women in our family one year who like to decorate with real materials. We lived in Florida at the time and fruit on the front door was just an invitation to pests, but now that we're in a colder climate ... thanks for jogging my memory.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21