Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Need suggestions for bedroom ceiling light

sis2two
9 years ago

I am looking for a ceiling light fixture for a bedroom that measures 16 x16. While I'm thinking I want a semi- flush fixture, that's not a definite. Definitely don't want a flush mount. I like a casual look. My furniture is mostly black distressed with black four poster bed. I love the bell jar style fixtures but don't think they will provide enough light for that size of a room. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (43)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

What are the other sources of light in the room. How much did you want to spend.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Currently I have 3 table lamps, all from Pottery Barn. Two are the Bacchus clear lamp bases on either side of the bed and also a lamp on chest of drawers. There is also a distressed white floor lamp, also from PB that resides beside a chair. Would take pics but the room is actually being painted In EK's Mushroom with a pale blue ceiling. If it helps my rug is the Bryson by Pottery Barn. I actually have a vintage brass chandelier that is in there now but it does not put out much light. I am going to relocate it to a smaller bedroom. I don't really want to spend over 400.00 for the fixture. Thanks!

• erinsean
    9 years ago

With the lamps you have, how about a ceiling fan/with light? I have seen bedrooms with no ceiling light...they just use table lamps. We have a ceiling fan w/light..two nightside tables with lamps and a lamp on the dresser....Hardly ever turn on the ceiling fan light.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

With the lamps you have, how about a ceiling fan/with light? I have seen bedrooms with no ceiling light...they just use table lamps. We have a ceiling fan w/light..two nightside tables with lamps and a lamp on the dresser....Hardly ever turn on the ceiling fan light.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

This one

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge chany

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Dec 10, 14 at 13:00

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

grandmaof3- I can't add a fan- something about not having a box up there of some sort.

Tibbrix- I love that but do u think it's too small for the room size of 16 x16?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's so hard to say without seeing the room, ceiling, windows, etc. How about posting a picture when the paint is finished?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How tall are the walls?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are 9 feet tall.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think you can do it in bedrooms, esp. with a lower ceiling like a nine footer. Where a small chandelier wouldn't work over a dining room table, I think in bedrooms they can work. Obviously, though, you'd want to do a mockup or make sure you can return it if it isn't right. But here's a pic of a large bedroom with high ceilings and a more narrow chandy. You'd definitely want it on a dimmer.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Should note, sis, that that light IS described by Hubbardton as a "foyer light".

Here's another fun one. I just LOVE the gaslight chandeliers. This one is the same size as the Hubbardton, 12" tall by 11" wide. Antique brass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Gas Style light

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Here's one I think it really fun, unique, perfect for a bedroom

Here is a link that might be useful: Murray Feiss, white semi-gloss

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix- I'm usually more into traditional style fixtures but you have posted a couple like the first and last that are kind of unique. I am also finding that some of my goldish finishes are not looking so good with the Mushroom color. The wall color is kind of taupish/putty looking so I'm trying to keep that in mind when looking at some fixtures. For bedside lamps I'm looking at Mercury Glass lamp bases. So if you come across something that would coordinate with those please let me know. Thanks so much!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

These are her lamps for reference.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Are you looking for something shiny, rustic, modern, traditional, transitional? Metal?

5x40 watts, 579.00 Shadesofflight
    {{gwi:2140773}}

Lamps plus

DIY Lindsey Edelman
    {{gwi:2140775}}

West Elm, capiz
    {{gwi:2140776}}

Dot and Bo

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like more of a traditional, casual style. I am replacing the Bacchus lamps with different lamps because they seem kind of short with my four poster bed. I'm looking at mercury glass lamps for my nightstands that are taller.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Is this your BR, sis? Or a guest room?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Tib, I wonder if my light in a different finish would work for Sis?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Holly Kay's ceiling light in pewter. "Cambridge Collection"

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Perfect! I love the light in pewter. If my bedroom hardware wasn't brass I would have gladly used the pewter.

Sis, I used 40 watt bulbs and the light that comes out of it is very bright. I have to remind DH to get a dimmer on it. Also the waves in the glass casts a beautiful reflection around the room.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sis, check out the pottery barn adjustable bedside lamps. The Chelsea, the Sutter, and the Adair. I have four of the Adair, two in the antique bronze, and two in the antique white. I really love them, and I love that they're adjustable (the Adair's shade angle is also adjustable).

The Adair you can get on eBay now (which is how I got mine) at excellent prices.

I really like the Sutter as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

HK, the bronze version is really nice as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Pottery Barn adjustable Sutter bedside lamp

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 21:44

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The Sutter bedside lamp with the Cambridge ceiling light in bronze

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes it is! I like the Sutter bedside lamp you posted also.

• homedecorhelp
    9 years ago

Go for ivory color it will look elegant. Brass is quite out of the place with current wall paint.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, I think the pewter or the oil rubbed bronze would look wonderful with your EK Mushroom walls. I have the EK color set but from what I remember I think the ORB would look great. WTBS go with the one that makes your heart sing. The light is even more elegant IRL than in the pic. Also if you order fom lightingnewyork you can make an offer on it. I saved about twenty dollars on that particular one but when I bought my Waterford lamps from LNY. I saved over $100 each.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sis, have you gotten the mercury glass lamps? If you go with those, I'd get the Cambridge in the pewter. But I think ORB would look best with a mushroom/putty wall color. I really like the Sutter lamps with the Cambridge ceiling light. Do you not like the Sutter lamps?

Lampsplus.com has the Cambridge collection.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hollykay and Tibbrix- thank you both for weighing on! I am definitely going to get the Cambridge light fixture. It is just beautiful! I did order the Mercury Glass lamps to try. I'm not sure about the Sutter lamps on black nightstands. I kind of feel like I want something kind of "pretty" looking if that makes sense. I love Pottery Barn lamps because they are just good quality. Is there any others that would look good with the Cambridge in orb. Not sure if this makes any difference but my ceiling is painted a very pale blue color.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sis, did you get the Cambridge in the pewter?

I just love this lamp, but it's from Australia, and I can't tell if they ship to the US. Notice you can use paypal through this site. Presumably it's $150 AU dollars? So @ $130 in US dollars?

Here is a link that might be useful: Penelope Mirrored bedside lamp

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix- I just ordered the Sutter lamps to try. I have a store nearby so that I can return whatever doesn't work. I haven't ordered the ceiling light yet.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I really like those Sutter lamps. They have a "Hemingway" look to them, IMO.

Here's a nice lamp.. pricey, though.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I just got this one for our entryway in our new home. We have ten ft ceilings but an 8ft door which leaves little room. All of my fixtures, for the most part will be a form of bronze. This is chrome. I might just like it as it is. If not, it was not so expensive that I would not attempt to tone down the chrome.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw Sis, I have PB Adair bedside lamps, also adjustable, in the bronze on my bedside tables, which are both dark brown, like the lamps. I love them. I think the Sutter lamps would be very nice on your black nightstands.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Tibb, that room is just lovely!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Thanks Cyn. I love it. It was a barn of some kind back in 1880. There were no windows on the wall where the two large windows are when I bought the house. I had those two big windows put in. And the blue doesn't show right at all in the pic. This is really what it looks like.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Tib, I love the Penelope lamp but the last one you posted is downright gorgeous!

Sis, you will be very pleased with the Cambridge. I want to use a different one from the same collection for our foyer light.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix- love that room! Now I'm second guessing painting over my Palladian Blue! I actually have the Adair antique white floor lamp in that room as well as another white lamp on my dresser. Having said that, do you think the bronze will still work or should I go pewter and mercury glass? Want to decide that before I order the Cambridge fixture.

You probably know I like a farmhouse kind of look so I don't want anything too formal looking.

Hollykay- So glad you suggested your ceiling fixture! It is so pretty!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sis, I've got the Adair bedside lamps in antique white in the other queen bedroom (see pic).

BM Palladian Blue is very popular. I looked at it, but decided against it because I felt it is too light and minty for what I wanted (trying to combine beach and farm!).

I think that, if you're going for a farmhouse look, pewter and mercury glass are not going to achieve that, esp. with Palladian Blue on the walls. I'd go with the bronze, or wrought iron. I also think the bronze will be better with your Adair antique white lamp. Silver will make the room look more contemporary and blingy.

FYI: the blue in my room is SW Languid Blue. Blue in the room in the pic below is BM Nantucket Fog. If you were to paint your room to achieve that look, I'd go with BM Van Courtland Blue. The Languid Blue is very similar to the VCB, but it has a radiance to it that VCB doesn't have. I go back and forth as to whether I should have painted it VCB. Only reason I didn't is because I already have two rooms done in VCB, one of my favorite colors, and I guess I felt like it would be VCB overkill to do yet another with it.

Antique white Adair bedside lamps. Notice they're on white tables (I guess you can see only one. The other is also on a white bedside table). So I put the dark ones on dark bedside tables and the light ones on the white. So yes, I obviously think the Sutter lamps would be great on your black tables. (and yes, I know the blue in the bedspread doesn't go at all with the blue of the walls. Meh).

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Tibbrix!- I probably was confusing in my post. I just painted over my Palladian Blue in Ellen Kennon's Mushroom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, that's right! You said the walls were mushroom earlier.

I'd still go with the bronze and black..even moreso, actually, since you want a more farmhouse/rustic style and look. The sliver metals are so much more contemporary and blingy/sparklyâ¦.The mushroom must look great with the black bed and tables.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix! Can't wait to get the lamps to try them out and see what works.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure