Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousebound

Paintable beadboard wallpaper--on the ceiling!

farmhousebound
15 years ago

I posted a while back about any tips for putting paintable beadboard wallpaper on ceiling and found I was about to be the guinea pig. I told my SIL that all I wanted for Christmas from her was two days for her to help me. Well, let me tell you, two folks is not enough--definitely have to have three and four was even better (my DH and nephew helped out). We decided to start in the new add-on in the den before going on to the kitchen and breakfast room. We have real beadboard up on the ceiling (and walls) in the old part of the house and were trying to match without the expense. Painting it comes next, but other than a few spots (which DH is convinced only I will see), I think it came out pretty good--what do y'all think? (The old beadboard is on the left, the new is on the right--we still have to caulk the old.)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (56)

• patches_02
    15 years ago

Looks great! Where did you find wallpaper like that?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing the results. It looks fantastic. I've been tossing the idea around of using it in my home and everyone keeps telling me it will look like crap and to just get real bead board. Your results look fantastic. My plan is to use it on the walls and put up a chair rail in the breakfast nook.

I've seen it at Menards and it looks nice and thick with deep grooves in it. Was it tricky to put up? Now after seeing yours I am fantasizing about doing the ceiling just for fun.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

I want to get a sample of it to try on my looks-like-crap office ceiling. Which looks like crap because it's t&g wood; roof is directly above it, probably as old as the house (c. 100 yrs) & really showing its age.

This is only thing I've seen that might be a viable aesthetic solution, IF it will look decent after installing it over an uneven surface.

So add me to those who would like to know which brand you used & where you got it!

• caminnc
    15 years ago

Dang, that look GOOD!

• teacats
    15 years ago

Brillant project! Looks wonderful!

Well done to the whole team! LOL! :)

Jan

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

That looks great! And may be an idea I can sell Mr Vix on since he's not keen to do real beadboard on our tall sloped bathroom ceiling....

We don't have a Menards here; can you share the manufacturer?

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Lowes carries it as well.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It looks great and this is closing the door after the horse got out the barn, but did you consider using PVC wainscoting? I'm asking because it would have been easier to handle. I can't imagine trying to put paper on a ceiling. Applause for you!!

• Oakley
    15 years ago

I'm installing a lot of beadboard right now and I have to say, you did an amazing job. Putting the paper on the ceiling was a brilliant idea!

I'm also a wallpaper kind of girl. :)

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

farmhouse - thanks so much for the info. It sounds like I would need to create a REALLY smooth surface for optimal results.

Are you saying that you were going for, and achieved, a smooth surface with the MH product? I've patched & sanded & painted & patched & sanded this ceiling more than I care to think about, but I'm certainly willing to try a product that really works! I've managed to patch & sand all of the other surfaces in this house so that they look, at worst, decent, but this ceiling has been a nightmare. And I just hate to put a layer of anything with any thickness on it, since it slants down to a height of 6-1/2' on the window wall - every 1/2" counts! :D

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    15 years ago

moonkat - Not sure if our situation was quite the same. Our beadboard was fairly smooth just had lots of separation between some of the t&g. DH is scraping some of the ceiling prior to painting (he does ceilings, I do walls). I am going to try and post some pics of some before and after pics of a wall and ceiling. Hope they help.

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/jcandsam/100_0178.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/jcandsam/100_0179.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w5/jcandsam/100_0180.jpg[/IMG]

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    15 years ago

moonkat - sorry - haven't got this picture posting thing all figured out. The pic above is before pic of wall. Will try the rest again.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

farmhouse thanks. I did have a lot of the same separation & took care of most of it w/ various spackle type products, looking for much the same result as you :) My beadboard, for the most part, isn't in as good a shape as yours, but I've salvaged what I could.

The non-beaded t&g is another matter - I will try your product - the wall I've just uncovered has some issues (of course! lol), & I would love to have a good quality, easy to work with, effective wood spackle on hand!

And what beautiful work you're doing! I remember the first pic I saw of your kitchen & "new" stove in the kitchen forum - my jaw just dropped!

• oceanbaby
    15 years ago

Take a look at grahambrown.com They carry paintable wallpaper designed for walls and ceilings. Was thinking of buying their beadboard paper but have not done it yet. Also, you can request free samples. One of the samples I requested was similar to a tin ceiling. Beautiful.

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Our Lowes has a very large selection of the textured paintable wall paper. It covers ruff walls really well I will try to post some before pics tomarrow. The paper gets stronger after it has been painted and totally dried. I think kids could pick at it though .Mine has been up for 5 years and its is still as good as new but my kids aren,t to hard on walls just carpets.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

madeyna I would love to see your before pics - if they're as uneven as this ceiling, & you got good coverage, then I have hope!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Holy smokes, it looks fabulous!

I'm a bit sad, but not surprised to learn it took four people ... is that four people all on ladders at the same time?

I'm thinking this might be a wonderful solution to when we scrape off those popcorn ceilings, and don't know where to go from there. Does your ceiling have to be perfect for this to work? Or would it cover some flaws?

• madeyna
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}} here is the pre-textured paper wall.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Looks really good, job well done. I have beadboard all over my house too, ceilings and walls.

I bet your ceilings are real high too, are they? If so, I can see how it would take four people.

.....Jane

• madeyna
    15 years ago

If covers holes and creavises really well put not anything protruding out . I think if I had a surface with things poking out away from the wall I would just take some ruff sandpaper on my elec.sander and knock it off that way.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

Wow, that's impressive, and you sure could have fooled me! It's giving me all sorts of ideas, too!! After spending four afternoons to steam and strip horrible wallpaper off my bedrooms walls, I "swore" I'd never hang another inch of wallpaper again!! Problem is, I love bead board and we already have it in several rooms of our house. I truly wanted to have it beneath the chair rail in our bedroom, but didn't want to go through the expense, time, disruption and labor to install it there.

I had already decided, once the wallpaper was removed showing the off white wall beneath the chair rail, that the blue that I wanted to see in this yellow room needed to be introduced into accessories, pillows and other accents, but not as paint on the walls. The yellow and creamy-white just looks too soothing to try to alter. This would be an easy alternative to get what I always wanted in the first place....now all I need to do is convince DH, lol!

Just two days ago I told him that if I ever mentioned the word "wallpaper" again, to hit me over the head or hide the car keys, but, dang, that sure looks good!!

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Thanks, Madeyna. I'll remember that.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback madeyna :) I've ordered a sample, & will check local places. My old t&g ceiling may be too warped, but I'm thinking that, IF the wallpaper 'boards' match the width of my ceiling boards, I just might be able to fake it.

It would be heaven to have a decent looking ceiling in here w/o losing any inches of space!

• laurenk88_pa
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I used paintable beadboard wall paper in my kitchen. I really like it. I'm not home or I'd post a pic.

I was not able to get it through Lowes, they said they no longer carried it. I found it online.

• zipdee
    15 years ago

That turned out fantastic, it looks wonderful !! How's you're kitchen going?

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    15 years ago

zipdee--kitchen is going s-l-o-w-l-y as we are working throughout the renovation, not just on the kitchen. I thought we were going to get the pantry done enough over the holidays that I could post some pics but ran into a snag there as well. Maybe after this coming weekend (had to go back to work after the holidays so now back to just weekends for working on the house). I have ordered some more beadboard wallpaper since the den turned out so well and my SIL and I will start on the new part of the kitchen ceiling once it arrives. DH will also be starting on the trim around windows/baseboard/crown as soon as it arrives (back-ordered). We will get there at some point. Thanks for the compliment on the ceiling!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Wow, looks great! I can't believe it's wallpaper - it looks like the real thing. What kind of paint do you use on it? I'm trying to figure out something for kitchen backsplash (and eventually MBA walls), even the beadboard "panels" (not strips) at HD are too $$$, but wallpaper would work. Lauren - did you use gloss or semigloss over it in your kitchen? How does it stand up to water and scrubbing?

• laurenk88_pa
    15 years ago

Hey there,

I believe I used semi-gloss, but will check at home. It wipes ok, but I haven't actually "scrubbed" it. The wallpaper hasn't had any real water contact yet...knock on wood!

• eastcoaster_2009
    14 years ago

Just wondering - how did the beadboard wallpaper hold up on the ceiling? Also - did you find that the shipping charges were a lot since the paper is coming from the UK?

• 1956gritsgal
    10 years ago

I just saw that there is a Martha Stewart paintable beadboard wallpaper at Home Depot

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Bought mine at Lowes. They have 2 slightly different styles. I have never had a problem wallpapering, but when mentioning this was going on the ceiling the kids had a fit. They have no use for worrying about my being on a ladder and definitely no interest helping with wallpaper. Something needs to be done though as my kitchen ceiling was not finished off well. Someone is going to be climbing a ladder regardless. Tough to get old when you know it can be done.

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Your ceilings are amazing!

I saw a thread about this wallpaper last year. I thought about using it in my kitchen, but chickened out. Now I am even more impressed with the product. I went to Lowe's website and see the there are two types. Most of the reviews are 4-5* and everyone seems pleased. The Roth and Allen seems to be the way to go for a more realistic look and it's $10 less and more per roll than the grahambrown.com site.

I have decided to go ahead and paper my backsplash with this paper and paint it the color of the walls, with a bit of semi-gloss paint. Eggshell is on the walls. However, I need opinions.

Below are a few photos of the areas under my cabinets. As you can see, the wall area over the desk doesn't have a stopping point. Is it going to look funny to have the paper stop there? Also, the cabinet ends do not line up with the granite backsplash. One more photo to come. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 15:29

• nhb22
    10 years ago

On the other 2 walls, do I wrap the paper around to end at the front of the cabinet edges (near where the white outlet is, or just do the back of the walls?

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

Hi Newhomebuilder!
    FWIW, I have the Grahambrown bb wallpaper and used it on the inset part of the doors on my laundry room cabinets. I think it looks very realistic. I saw some bb paper at Lowes before and didn't care for it. I'm not sure what brand it was though. I can take a photo for you if you'd like. It's very thick and was easy to apply.

I think it will look good under your cabinets.

I would take the paper out to the edge of your countertop and use a thin piece of trim along the top, bottom, and sides.

Here are some photos. (see link)
    I actually can't find the pictures I'm looking for right now. She used real bb but you can see the trim. I wouldn't take the bb up as high as she did and would only take it a few inches above the cabinets.

I'm in the middle of planning a kitchen facelift and bb wallpaper is still on my mind too.

Here is a link that might be useful: bb thriftydecorchic

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Hmmm...I didn't like that at all. The white BB did not seem to go with her kitchen. I certainly did not like it climbing the walls. Now I am second guessing again about that look in my kitchen, although mine would be painted the Decatur Buff. I will have to go look at a friends house. She has a newly remodeled kitchen with white cabinets and white BB. I'll see where her BB ends. Thanks for the link.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

farmhousebound, your ceiling looks great. We're doing tongue and groove planks and it's been a bear. Do you have to paint it or can you just leave it white?

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

Newhomebuilder - Oh, I'd go with your original idea of painting it the wall color. I think it would add some nice texture.

• farmhousebound
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not usually in this forum but was told that this thread had been resurrected--can't believe it's been almost 5 years! The paper probably could have been left white but would not have matched the trim (BM Mayonaise) and I really wanted that. I also saw where someone posted that after painting the paper strengthens over time. Ours has held up beautifully and am really happy that I found as it definitely makes the new house flow into the old portion. Most folks still can't believe it's wallpaper :)

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Newhomebuilder~ I first did the Roth and Allen paper 3 years ago and I am now redoing it all in Graham and Brown.
    Now,they may be making the R&A better ...but... once you put it on and roll
    it then paint there is practically NO grooves that make-up the beadboard effect.
    Before you go forward with the R&A brand get a sample of the G&B.
    I think it's like 3.00 for a sample.
    I can also send you a sample.(email me)
    I bought up all that G&B had when they said that they were going to discontinue the pre-pasted .They didn't !!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness! I had not even noticed this was an old thread. Was it SPAM that resurrected the thread? I see that person 1956gritsgal joined in September. Odd to suddenly post that the MS wallpaper can be found at HD. Hmmmm

farmhousebound - It is good to know that your wallpaper is holding strong after 5 years, especially after being painted. I was afraid that the heavy paint would pull the paper down.

forboystoo - Thank you for that information. I checked out G&B site and they had a special 25% off and $5 shipping for orders under $50. I only needed one roll. My order total came to $23.75 including shipping. No tax for some reason. I would have paid more at Lowe's with the TN tax being so high. :)

My DH says "no" to wrapping the paper around the wall to the front of the cabinets, so this paper will go on the back of the backsplash, only. I have some leftover trim from another job that I can hang and paint where the cabinet stops on an open wall. He also wants to stop it at the cabinet, so will end an inch back from the end of the granite backsplash. I think it will be fine and probably look better then sticking a tiny bit of trim up top.

Here's one more photo of another corner. I am glad that this thread was resurrected!

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    10 years ago

I used the paintable wallpaper, too. I would do it again.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Lov_mkitchen ~
    Beautiful..........You did a really great job !!
    I've really got to get to work..
    Love the design. (might have to steal it)
    You've got me thinking about my bathroom ceilings !!!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

Beautiful work on your ceiling!

I was Googling Paintable Beadboard Backsplash and found the following. In photo #10 down, the writer shows a close-up of the seam. It's right in the middle of a board. Should I try to spackle and smooth out that line before painting?

Now I am second guessing if I bought enough paper. The G&B site said 32.8 ft. I was thinking linear feet. After reading this article and seeing that the Lowe's paper is 56 sq ft, I realize that the G&B paper roll must be in sq ft, also. That's not enough, is it? Not sure how to measure for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paintable Beadboard Backsplash

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

It's amazing how realistic it looks! I ordered the Graham&Brown off ebay and have used it on the back wall of a couple of cabinets I have in my antique booth. Great for coving up cracks as well as deceiving anything that might be slightly crooked.

10 years ago

newhomebuilder, no!! For sure don't "fix" it! I don't know why her seam is so noticeable. Possibly because of the direction she was standing to take the picture. Use your finger or your cloth that you are using to wipe your paper to go right down the seam, making sure it's flat against the wall. Don't press to hard on the ribs or you'll squish them. And be sure your seams are butted well. The paper might shrink that much as is shown in her picture. Mine didn't. Possibly the paper got stretched when she put it up. Possibly one strip or the other didn't book long enough or too much. Hard to say but I would not do anything to fix it if it happens to you.

Wallpaper is measured in square feet unless specified it's linear. A single roll is 32 square feet and priced in single rolls but comes in a double roll: twice the price.

I used the "tin" paper on my bathroom ceiling. My old house is far from square and I ended up cutting the tin squares into 2 or 3 tins in order to make it match; my ceiling was off that much. The kitchen probably was too, but with the 1x4 trim it wasn't noticeable. I took farmhousbound's advice back in the day and didn't try to do the bead board in one long stip. I had to do it alone and I knew from her experience I couldn't do it.

One look I do not care for is granite and bead board. The two would never have been used in real life at the same time.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Agree that the seam should not have a gap in it. This can happen when not enough glue is on edges or mismatching. Make sure when you are laying on the paper that you push outward on the seams for the glue to gather there. Wallpaper is usually a bit stretchable and the seams can be set together without being seen.

Wallpapering such a small vertical area would be easy to try with a roll, take note of the process, results, etc.. And easy to remove if it looked too fake...oops...faux.

Also, as said, wallpaper in past was sold in double rolls and the sq. ft. is listed for coverage, not linear ft. I can't remember if the coverage is noted depending upon a pattern repeat or not. With beadboard there would not be a pattern repeat.

The only issue with this paper is what Lov mentioned. The paper is a raised foam material, laying down and rubbing horizontal could show after the fact. Am wondering though if it bounces back to original pattern. There are many textures offered in this foam product and haven't heard of anyone having problems with it. Or if the wallpapering process is the same as for smooth.

I think the paper also needs wood trim wherever it stops for a nice finish. Even where the wallpaper and counter meet. You wouldn't have to worry about a perfect cut, let the trim cover it. Plus a thin line of caulk to seal bottom and top. Specifically if used near water. On the blog I noticed they had not painted the undersides of the cupboards.

Would be interested in hearing from those using this if it is the same wallpaper process...I always used a damp towel to go over for good attachment and smooth finish. With a flat plastic edger on the seams to push glue for better adhesion. The resilience for long term use....Will it retain shape if cleaned off in the future too. As much as I like beadboard, there is an ongoing need to keep clean in the crevices. And how workable the glue is. And how to finish the underside of cabinets.

For a backsplash I feel staying with wood is a better option. Ceilings wouldn't have the water exposure, furniture and walls less abuse. Although I did get a fleeting idea of doing the side of my fridge to match the wood wall finish. Easy to remove if it looked stupid.

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I think with the beadboard paper I would change the seam to a intented area rather than in a board. I think its there just because thats were the edge happend to land on the pattern.

10 years ago

The edge of the paper is where it is for a reason. That's the match. The match being where it is makes each bead the same distance from each other. I think one narrower board every 20 inches would be noticeable. It would be impossible to make a match in the crevice of the bead; the bead would end up flat. I always use a damp hand towel to smooth paper but for this I used the long flat brush and then carefully wiped any glue off the right side. When the seams meet it doesn't show. Always hang it the same direction. Up or Down but NOT Up AND Down. And buy the premixed paste; use a paint roller to paste the paper. Just be careful when butting the seams that you don't press so hard that the paper stretches. Be sure to follow the booking directions. Disclosure: I would rather paper than paint so of course I think you should do it!

• Sheeisback_GW
    10 years ago

The R+A bb paper is prepasted.

I cut mine with scissors but also needed an exacto knife for different areas. Razor blades would work better if you needed to make a bunch of different cuts and change them often.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts