Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

The WRONG window treatments ...

EngineerChic
11 years ago

We took down some truly hideous window treatments yesterday that were on the picture window in our living room.

The window is 101" wide, it's a big picture window flanked by two small windows. When 'open' the old drapes covered the small windows, which means about 2' on each end was covered no matter what. These were light blocking ugly blue drapes on a NORTH facing window.

Once we took those down, the room looks so much better. It isn't a dark, dreary place any longer. It has light and looks so much better ... Even with the bad plaster patch jobs and old nails in the walls from the PO pictures.

I think ugly, ill fitting drapes can destroy a good room. This isn't a great space by any stretch, it's infinitely "average" in fact. But not unpleasant, unless someone covers up the window with truly bad drapes.

And I don't think these were good even when they were new, it isn't just that they went out of style ... They started life as bad and aged poorly on top of it.

I am just amazed at how detrimental the wrong window treatment can be to a room. I am almost understanding how/why places like restoration hardware can charge so much for curtains.

Comments (4)