Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The WRONG window treatments ...

Posted by EngineerChic (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 9:35

We took down some truly hideous window treatments yesterday that were on the picture window in our living room.

The window is 101" wide, it's a big picture window flanked by two small windows. When 'open' the old drapes covered the small windows, which means about 2' on each end was covered no matter what. These were light blocking ugly blue drapes on a NORTH facing window.

Once we took those down, the room looks so much better. It isn't a dark, dreary place any longer. It has light and looks so much better ... Even with the bad plaster patch jobs and old nails in the walls from the PO pictures.

I think ugly, ill fitting drapes can destroy a good room. This isn't a great space by any stretch, it's infinitely "average" in fact. But not unpleasant, unless someone covers up the window with truly bad drapes.

And I don't think these were good even when they were new, it isn't just that they went out of style ... They started life as bad and aged poorly on top of it.

I am just amazed at how detrimental the wrong window treatment can be to a room. I am almost understanding how/why places like restoration hardware can charge so much for curtains.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The WRONG window treatments ...

I agree. And no window treatments trump ugly ones. When I moved into my house, the previous owner had shades, ugly curtains, and had nailed and caulked shut some of the windows. It became a bright sunny house once I removed them all. It took me all summer to finally get the kitchen windows to open. Plus he smoked, and laid carpeting throughout most of the first floor. It reaked. I couldn't take it anymore, so I ripped it up after a few weeks.

o

Even if they are the right window treatments, if they are mounted incorrectly, it can still be a problem....

o

Window treatments overwhelm me, so most of my windows are without. We live in the country and don't have neighbors, so it's all good. I LOVE letting the natural light in. With that being said, my windows should have treatments for efficiency reasons but don't because it overwhelms me!

o

Another thing that wrong window treatments can do besides just looking bad themselves is to lend the wrong color of light to a room. Nothing worse than a room with beige carpet and walls and then pink and purple semi sheer drapes lending a sickly pink cast to the entire place! I prefer to stick to white curtains in sunny rooms for this reason, although I have used deep red or brown in a bedroom where I wanted it darker (not our current bedroom though!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here