Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaymarie_gw

Lovely Green Kitchen--Help Finding Similar Color

LindsayMarie
12 years ago

Hello all. This is my first time posting after gleaning so much insight by searching the archives.

My husband and I are doing some minor renovations to spruce up our new to us 1950s kitchen. It has the original metal cabinets, and they were "updated" years ago with white paint and ugly hardware that makes it cold and hospitalish.

We are trying to save our pennies and make this small space more cheerful and functional for our growing family (4 boys--another mark against white paint) until we can afford to convert our large screened in porch down the road.

Anyway, we've been looking at kitchens for the past year, even while still househunting, and we started out with green, have run the gamut, and now we are back to where we started now that we've seen this kitchen.

I can't figure out how to post the picture, but I will link below

Obviously, there is a lot to this kitchen besides the color, but if anyone could offer some paint suggestions that would help us come close to this, I'd be most grateful!

Of course, what I really need after seeing that photo is all that glorious copper cookware!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (25)

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Have no idea what color that may be, but I love that kitchen. And I don't usually like painted cabinets. But these are gorgeous.

• User
    12 years ago

That color is very similar to BM Rhine or Whyth blue, SW Quitetude or Behr Smokey Slate

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I recall seeing this photograph. I think it was in a kitchen design magazine, which featured it as a new kitchen in a Victorian home. I think the color was called Benjamin Moore Evergreen, but I am not sure, and I'm not terribly familiar with Ben Moore colors. You could start there, though. In the photo that I saw, the green appeared a bit deeper and greener. Sorry that I cannot be more definitive.

• teacats
    12 years ago

checked over on myperfectcolor.com -- and kitchendetective made an excellent guess -- might be Martha Stewart's Evergreen Garland MS324 ...

Gorgeous kitchen!!!! :)

• LindsayMarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you SO much! It is so helpful to have a place to start when exploring colors, and that looks very close.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Don't laugh. . . I was just thinking about this, and the color might have been BM Sherwood Forest.

• LindsayMarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I did laugh. And I will continue to laugh if I end up painting my kitchen "sherwood forest."

• karinl
    12 years ago

We are all thinking about that kitchen, and I hope I will not be the only one who prints that photo and takes it to the paint store to look for a match!

We have green cabinets but the shade is not as nice as that and could use some tweaking - and repainting time is near anyway. That is also a brilliant glass idea.

Karin L

Here is your photo:

• LindsayMarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karin, is there a thread where this kitchen is being discussed? I wasn't sure what to "call" it, especially not knowing where it came from originally, and I wasn't sure how to search.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I love that color of green, but there's something cold about the kitchen as a whole and I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the black countertops or lighting?

I've never seen that green before and it's really a pretty color!

• LindsayMarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, okaleyok, I think that the dishrack over the sink adds a needed warmth to the kitchen, and I think it could use a touch more of that, maybe on the island? We plan on having butcher block countertops for a warmer feel than the black. I do like how the backsplash is painted the same color as the uppers and lowers, though, for a monochromatic look.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

It appears to be a photo from a Better Homes and Gardens publication, perhaps from 2009, based on Google Images searches leading to blogs where minimal credit is offered. I recall being impressed by how much storage space the designer was able to build into the kitchen. The kitchen has a rolling ladder in it, Putnam, I believe. The combination of copper and green is always very striking to my eye.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

to the site information linked below and ask for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to BHG photo

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Could it be Porter Paint's Evergreen, check the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Porter Paint

• riosamba
    12 years ago

That color reminds me of Trailrunner's kitchen walls. I remember that she used an Olympic color called Thyme, but perhaps mixed in Ben Moore. In any case, I think it is one of the finest kitchens ever posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caroline/Trailrunner's Kitchen

• karinl
    12 years ago

I don't know of anywhere it's being discussed other than here, unless wherever it is originally from; I only meant that anyone seeing it here likely kept thinking about it, even if only to wonder about the paint colour :-). It is an amazing bunch of choices made.

Upon sober second thought, there are things I would change if I were to undertake to copy it. I don't really like the sinks with those aprons. They have a certain authenticity to the period, but maybe not in black. They create those stubby little cabinets underneath that look a bit accidental.

The other thing is stainless steel in a traditional kitchen. For me that is a no-go zone. I've gone to several open houses in my historic neighbourhood where stainless appliances have been put in to "update" and I have never seen it look like it belongs. I think I would use white appliances, and/or maybe more natural wood, I agree.

But the colour, the cabinets to the ceiling and continuous use through the backsplash, as someone said... wow.

Karin L

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I love everything about this kitchen, even tho some of it appears modern. Seems to me you'd have to have a big room with high ceilings to pull off all that lovely dark green, tho; my small kitchen would feel like a cave.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Keep in my mind you don't really want to search out the name of paint color, you want to find a paint color that looks the same on your walls as the color appears in the picture.

Named colors in printed materials almost never match what they look like in RL, or in the picture. But you can hunt for a color that looks like what you see on the page. That's the quickest way to find a good match.

L.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

liriodendron is exactly right. I'm quite sure the color cited in the original article is Sherwood Forest, but I'd also bet that BM Sherwood Forest looks very little like any of the ten online reproductions of this kitchen, each of which varies slightly to radically from the others. As an example, in one blog, this kitchen was grouped with turquoise kitchens! (Not to mention, sometimes the color listed is wrong, and the editors don't catch it.)

• redbazel
    12 years ago

I think it's different, but it has a suggestion of Farrow & Ball's Pigeon. Pigeon is in my husbands office and it is listed as a gray, reads very green blue like those cabs. Here below is a link to another home with Pigeon walls.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah's Lounge in Pigeon

• LindsayMarie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My living room shelves are Pigeon, or rather a color match that is close enough to me. It isn't quite as green as the photo. I considered Castle Gray and Green Smoke (a little darker than the photo), but both seem a little gray and not quite green enough, though I may end up going with them in the space

. I thought perhaps knowing the original color would help me find a shade that would work in my space.

It looks like Sherwin Williams "Kale" might be close, and a shade lighter on the color strip is "Restful" which is somewhat of a turquoise. So maybe that is why it appears turquoise if the quality of the image deteriorates? Sherwood Forest will definitely look darker than that image in my pokey kitchen.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Just wan to say I think that kitchen color is beautiful and I hope you are able to match it. Love to see it when you're done!

• LindsayMarie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know it has been ages since I posted this, but I came across a kitchen online that is the color I ended up going with, and it reminded me that I never came back and updated. My kitchen is still not photo worthy, but this kitchen on Apartment Therapy is (though, my walls are white). The color is Benjamin Moore's Verdigris, and I think it reads very close to the color in the picture (which I DID end up finding on Better Homes and Gardens, thanks for the source, too).

Here is a link that might be useful: Verdigris Ktchen

• User
    11 years ago

I LOVE that kitchen! I could marry that kitchen!

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

That is a very cool kitchen... but, I agree with oakleyok that is seems a little cold. The butcher block would warm it up (although I would probably only use it on the island)

Maybe you could use a slightly "warmer green"check out this room from Ken Fulk I think it would be beautiful. He uses C2 Primavera with black furnishings and it still feels very inviting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Green Paint