Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmetto

Ideas needed for this window

scpalmetto
9 years ago

Hope some of you can help me come up with some ideas. This window is 51" wide and the total width from the wall to shower glass is about 65". My original plan was to use plantation shutters but because it is a casement window a frame would have to be built out around the window for them and I would prefer not to do that; I think it would make a small space look even smaller.

What do you think of just a valance?

Comments (25)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Is privacy an issue?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would do an asymmetrical swag to the left side to offset the fact that the window is not centered on the wall. Maybe something really gathered in a soft-handed fabric in the gray tones. Hang the rod up near the ceiling.

Just to illustrate...forget the austrian shade underneath. Have the curtain graze the bathtub platform.

{{gwi:2140753}}

• pps7
    9 years ago

We did a top down bamboo shade. You can probably do a top down roman shade in any fabric. This allows for privacy but doesn't obstruct the view.

• scpalmetto
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Privacy is an issue, there is another home across from that window. I have it heavily planted for screening but would still like to have something to close off when the lights are on at night. The blinds work fine for that purpose but they are not very pretty or interesting.

The swag is a good thought, would you have it go all the way to the left wall?

I am having trouble picturing the roman shade because of the off center position of the window.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think Annie's idea is perfect.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

This is what I'd do: See link

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative window adhesive

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes, I would go all the way to the left.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Maybe a roman shade?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like Annies suggestion. Do you really hop over the tub each evening to close those blinds?

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Yes to the privacy film--if you have the money stained glass would be lovely. A statement/decorative piece to add interest but not take up any space.
    Will a side swipe curtain work w/o a drop for the fabric? There is what looks to be a rather deep ledge there.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The drape wouldn't drop to the floor....only to the ledge.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

The swag curtain is pretty, but I'm not sure I'd do it in a bathroom. For one thing, chances are, when you unhook it for privacy to take a bath, you're not going to re-hook it after every bath, esp. considering the position of the window, and it'll end up just hanging there, no light in the room, etc.

But more importantly, when it is hooked, there are folds in the material, and I don't think that's a good idea in a damp room as water get trapped, then mold grows.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Check out this really cool site, tons of great adhesive film. They do have a category just for "bathrooms", but I don't know what the difference is between bathroom film and any other. I'd ask. But this one, for example, is from the bathroom film category

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorative films

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

We did something very similar to what Annie suggested and we've never had any trouble with damp fabric or mold. In your bath the fabric would drape at the opposite end of the tub from the faucet and if you think about it - It's really not much different than a fabric shower curtain. Your bath looks fairly new so I'm assuming you have adequate ventilation.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Another fun thing about the adhesive film is that you can change it out any time you want for a different design. It's VERY easy to put up, an it peels right off, but it stays on, surprisingly.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

How about a tension rod with a drapes or maybe something like Christopher Lowell did in the picture below. I don't think Annie's suggestion will work (mathematically wise) because the window is square.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's an inspiration photo from Pinterest -- create a cornice board that hangs right at the top of the wall and goes all the way to both sides .... then .... add a fabric shade and then add your side curtain panel or panels .....

This would fool the viewers eye to think that your window was much taller and wider .... and therefore the room would appear to be the same too .....

You could add window film first -- and create a far more private bathing area -- and then the cornice box and the curtain panels .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pin with cornice window treatment

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you put drapery up there, I'd do it in panels like Teacats's pic and with a pull rope on one side so it's easy to open and close.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Please clarify: Do you plan to leave the existing blind and simply want to dress the window up? I can see the wand on the blind which could be closed for privacy.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I'm not much for frou-frou, especially in a bathroom, so I love the idea of keeping the window bare with just some fun privacy film. Especially since you said the space is small. The more you put on that wall, the smaller the bathroom will feel.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Occurs to me, looking at the window again, that you can't really have panels on each side, can you, since the right side of the window is flush up against the shower wall, while the left side has wall space next to it.

I think I'd go for either a valance, roman shade, or decorative privacy film, and hang some kind of vertical decoration on the wall to the left of the window.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Ah yes ....

Perhaps go for window film for additional privacy -- add a full wood cornice across the window area (hung close to the ceiling) -- and then add a soft roman blind .....

Again -- this would create the illusion of a taller balanced window above the tub .....

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of the drapery style pictured for a bathroom, esp if it's just sill length. I think I'd put in a remote controlled shade that you wouldn't have to climb into the tub to open or close, or use film for privacy on the whole window and add a roman shade for softness. I'd look for something like these to add to the corner to make the off center window seem more deliberate.

or

{{gwi:2140756}}

2 Corner Shelves White Target (clipped to polyvore.com)

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

To offset the window, you could even do a couple of shelves over the end of the tub on the wall above and put pretty towels and soaps on the shelves.
    Or a hanging glass terrarium with air plants. I like the blinds for privacy and light control.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It's the asymmetry of the window on the wall that is troublesome to me, and I think the asymmetrical window treatment will fix that.

I suppose you could use a window film for privacy, but you could just leave the blinds and mount the fabric panels over top.

{{gwi:2140757}}

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Feasterville Window Treatments Ron Lapides Interiors

You could do a cornice board as teacats suggests but just hang a panel on one side.

Or I suppose you could do a cornice board with a shade underneath like here, and then do art work next to the window to help balance it.

[Traditional Powder Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-powder-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_713~s_2107) by Virginia Beach Interior Designers & Decorators Laura Jens Sisino

{{gwi:2140758}}

[Transitional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2112) by New York Interior Designers & Decorators MuseInteriors