Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Please help me stop the deciding on a duvet cover madness!

akl_vdb
9 years ago

So my dear, dear husband thinks that I've bought and returned many many duvet covers (this much is true). I need help. I have kind of floral drapes that can kind of look really traditional and old lady if I let them, but I'd like them to look hip and awesome (because they are!).

My duvet is also big, 108x98, king sized. So the IKEA 98 x 86 or what ever it is is too small (which is too bad, there were a couple options I liked- the lineney look, but I think I'm going in a different direction)

So I'm thinking mustard to go with the drapes as the walls are a smokey blue grey so I don't want too much blue. I'm also thinking a slight geometric.

Thanks for the help (my DH will be much indebted), and some pics to follow! (please excuse the messy bed!), best pic I could find right now.

{{gwi:2140664}}

bedding choices. this one I'd have to get off Ebaby, both would be sight unseen, I'm in Canada, can probably get them shipped to the states to save on some shipping.

{{gwi:2140665}}

This one looks almost too white. The curtains are a creamy colour.

{{gwi:2140666}}

And curtains, Robert Allen spring mix, aloe.
{{gwi:2140667}}

Thank you thank you!

Comments (68)

• User
    9 years ago

I really like the ones form West Elm which are priced great!
    WIN!!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! So much to think about.

Tibbrix- thank you for all the researching you've done! I do like the matelasse, and think it's gorgeous on it's own. But I also agree with jackson2348 and think with the curtains it could be a bit more traditional than I want. A solid is nice, with some texture. I also like the pin tuck look, but with a small child and a dog and my lack of love for ironing, I don't know if it's the best choice.

jackson2348- that's similar to how the people I bought my drapes from have other fabrics that match. I'll post the link in case anyone is interested

sjhockeyfan- that is a good idea to tuck in the comforter. We just got the a footboard and siderails made as well.
    So here's an updated pic. So you can't see the box spring anymore. Thanks for the love on the patterns!

joaniepoanie- It could be crazy with pattern I hear you. The room is only 13'6" by 13'6". We will most likely be getting rid of the dresser (we have a large walk in closet that just needs some tweaking and we can fit a bunch of clothes in there.

atkillary- and I'm kinda lovin' the mock up you did! Could you do the other geometric? Thank you if you can. If not, don't worry about it! I appreciate the photoshop!

Thank you olychick, those are awesome too! I'll take another look.

yayagirl- I can see what you and Tibbrix are getting at, solid calming colour, patterned drapes. Sigh, what's a girl to do!

Thank you all, I appreciate all the input!

Here is a link that might be useful: curtains and coordinating fabrics

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another, maybe too geometric?

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh olychick, that $49 is tempting. Look, it's kinda like my headboard too! And I think those euroshams are maletasse? (the word is new to me, but I get the drift), best of both worlds?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Of the patterned covers, I like the last one, from Olychick, the best. It does look really good with that rustic headboard.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Speaking if eurosshams, where does one buy euro-size pillow inserts? I was at BBB yesterday, and although they had many shams, I didn't see any pillows in that size.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Tib, I'm not against solid in general - I was (although I failed to say so) referring to the picture posted with the solid cover that I thought was a little uninspiring.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, waiting for my DH to finish watching his football game to pull the trigger. Leaning towards the fans now that olychick and Tibbrix like as it does look good with the headboard.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Is he watching the Patriots/Miami game? Me too! Go Pats!

Lol. Hope you're not in Miami!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He's a Pittsburgh fan, so he's happy. We're in Canada, but DH is a die hard NFL fan instead of the CFL.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He's a Pittsburgh fan, so he's happy. We're in Canada, but DH is a die hard NFL fan instead of the CFL.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, they have the euro inserts at the bottom of the West Elm page I linked with those duvet covers.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Agree completely with joaniepoanie and was going to post it earlier. I think the curtains are enough of a big pattern for the size of your room. I think most of those posted are the same scale as the curtain floral so it will compete. You want to mix up the scale of your patterns. You could use a small mustard and cream geometric on the duvet cover, but good luck finding one.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, I get what you're saying may_flowers. I had the stuff in my cart and ready to buy but it wouldn't accept my billing address as I'm in Canada, so I'd have to call. Hmm, can ponder this for a bit.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Aren't you the one who previously had problems with some white bedroom furniture? Are you making a purchase to replace what you returned? Also, is the bench staying? Are you getting new lamps or nightstands?

I'll be honest. Until you have all the elements in your room, I wouldn't purchase any duvet. But, if you do, I fall on the side of no pattern. The wood pattern in your bed is quite dominant; I would let it be. Also, If you look at the inspiration pic with the fan, you'll see that its pattern repeats the headboard pattern, which makes it pleasing to the eye. Yours won't do that.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes deeinohio, I am the one who had problems with my white furniture! It was 2 nightstands and a dresser. I am not making a purchase at this point until it's all completed resolved. I did end up doing a credit card dispute, so I have a temporary credit for the moment as they deal with the merchant's bank. The headboard was made for us by a local guy.

We do like the bench, if anything I'll recover the green, perhaps paint the wood if necessary. We need it for the dog to jump into and out of bed!

I like my lamps, new nightstands will wait. I'm looking at a much less expensive whitish furniture with a whisky top from Sears.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I get what you're saying, I do tend to dive into things, lose focus as I have too much on the go.

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

We used to have a weekend log cabin with a big log bed, and DH made hanging shelves for either side of the bed for nightstands. (I'll see if I can hunt up a pic) Our room was a bit smaller than yours, and the challenge is to not have too many disparate elements in such a confined space, which looks cluttered and detracts from your focal point, the bed.

You could think about having your woodworker make you some to match your bed. He could make them whatever size you need. Then, upholster your bench is a mustard plaid , use a matelasse blanket tucked into the sides of your bed rails, and make some large pillows for the bed in the same fabric as the bench. Something like this, which is in the Robert Allen citrine colorway:

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh my deeinohio, you're so organized! that sounds gorgeous, and I can see about the different elements in the room cluttering it up. What I'm scared of is that our bedroom will look like a rustic lodge (as our hardwood is quite rustic as well, so I did want to add a lighter element to it)

I do like your idea of having pillows and the bench match. I can kind of envision it :)

Since I have you all here :) I was looking at this nightstand. What do you all think? It's described as french country, and I'd probably not have those exact feet if I could, but since the whole amish fiasco, I'm going cheaper, this is still made in Canada, and if there is a problem it won't be to the extent of the issue we had.

Thanks!

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Me, organized--LOL.

I'm having a hard time visualizing those cottage tables with your lovely bed. I was also having trouble during your furniture saga seeing that furniture, though gorgeous, with your bed. It doesn't mean someone else here might not be able to pull it all together.

I would try to head toward sophisticated rather than cute, maybe metal side tables? Or, could your wood worker do something like this? Or even, if he could finish slabs for you, you could have him install some hairpin legs. We purchased 2 legs from an Etsy vendor for a live edge counter in a bath at our new lake house, and the juxtaposition of the metal with the wood really looks nice. He made them the exact height we wanted. (I can't link. My iPad is having issues since my recent update)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are cool. I'm having a lot of trouble having what I like go together. I like rustic. But not too rustic. I like modern (think shiny sparkley lights) but not too modern. I like iron and wood, but think how rustic it looks.

Our wood work guy could totally do something for us, but how to make it look like we don't have the same wood for floors, end tables and bed? I'm good without an area rug for now, we have a sheepskin rug for the dog to jump on (I did see a bigger sheepskin rug that would look awesome, and there we go, ski lodge :) )

Thank you for the advice, and yes, deeinohio, you are totally organized, you should see my house and ideas, they are all over the place!

• lynndale
    9 years ago

I need advise on drapes to go with new bedding. Can someone tell me how to post photos on this site? Thanks!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

lynndale, start a new thread asking your questions and posting your pictures. Here is a thread explaining how to post them. Scroll down to Graywings' reply. There is a test forum where you can practice, just look in the "information about posting" at the very bottom of the page.

That info is for posting pictures from a website, but you can post your own photos by uploading them to a free webhosting site like Tiny Pics or Photobucket and then paste the URL code next to the picture into your message. The space for it to be pasted in your brand new message does not show until you hit "preview" (after you've written your message). So hit Preview and add your URL. If you want to add more pics using a URL, you'll simply hit reply to your first post and add a second picture URL. keep going until you have them all in your thread. Sometimes it will reject a message if you are replying to your own, but just make a tiny change in the "Subject of Posting" and it will work. I sometimes just add a number after the subject so it won't reject. But I think if you use a different URL for different pics it won't reject it.

If you are posting pics from a website, you can add them all to a single message using the method described in the link.

Ask us if you have more questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: posting pics from the web

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here you go.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you aktillery!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

lynndale, go to the forum in which you want to post (i.e.: Home Decorating).

At the top of the first page of the forum, just above the title "Home Decorating and Design" you'll see an option "Post a message". Click on that and have at it. And don't panic if it doesn't show up right away, or repost. It takes a few minutes to show up.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

aklvb, I'm just not gettin' the patterned duvet with those curtains vibe. I do like the fan duvet cover with your headboard, but then it's next to those heavily patterned drapes, and that kills it for me. I think a patterned duvet cover with those drapes is very "old lady". I also think that, with the rustic barn wood headboard and those flowered patterned drapes, to introduce yet another genre of design in there - geometric/contemporary - is a mistake (don't get me wrong, I love eclectic, but that isn't it. That, to me, is the opposite of eclectic in that it's trying to match things that are not matchable).

The drapes go with the headboard. The headboard goes with the fan duvet cover. But the three of them together kind of blows the whole thing up.

A cleaner and more contemporary look in fact is to go simpler. Honestly, if you're worried about kids and dogs making a mess of a duvet cover, get some inexpensive duvet cover to protect the duvet, but then get a cotton percale coverlet to go over that - basically a very large flat sheet - which you can toss into the washing machine whenever you want.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I realize these colors are likely way off. I did my best to show you an option of a cream cover with some colorful pillows etc. You likely would want different throw pillows and maybe a mesh of color in a nubby throw at the end of the bed. Just thought I would mock up something to show the solid, mixed with accents of color.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes! Aktillery's mockup is perfect, IMO. The curtains stand out because they're not competing with a pattern on the bed, the solids will look good in 20 years, versus a pattern you'll want to change in three, the bed looks crisp and clean and like you just want to crawl into it, and the stripes on the shams go great with the vertical lines of the headboard.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Thanks Tib!!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Head's up! West Elm is offering an extra 20% off and free shipping on clearance with code "miracle".

I just bought a queen duvet cover and shams for our guest room for less than $40.

I like the pattern combinations. But if you shop wisely you can get one solid and one pattern for the regular price of a set. A backup is always nice when doing laundry!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

OK, the last two pictures sold me - Tib is right, solid looks best!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I can see the light. Thanks for helping me convert :) What would I do without you all (except live in a horribly mismatched house!)

I will keep you posted if I ever find said magical duvet cover. Well, actually, I had this as a rain check, then they never had the king sized, then I lost my rain check, and now they have the king sized (go figure) .

if good, I can head down to Target and pick 'er up!

Here is a link that might be useful: duvet cover target

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

ak that is a wonderful duvet set and will be great in your room. If you can, get the target set, and put your money into a pretty, thin cotton/linen flat sheet to throw over the duvet to protect the cover from the kids and dogs. You can always fold it back, a la artillery's mockup, when not in use.

Something like this would be so pretty, in either the gold or the ivory. Linen king sheet from Garnet Hill

• amykath
    9 years ago

Those are so pretty Tib! Are your curtains cream or white? I thought you mentioned they were cream. If so, I would go with cream and not white. Your photo of the duvet looks white. You can always find great deals at overstock or wayfair on bedding. I have purchased a ton of bedding at overstock and have always been pleased. Another idea is the get a colored (solid duvet) and put it at the bottom of your bed and get a solid cream blanket or quilt for your bed. Glad you like the solid color idea!!!

Cannot wait to see how it all comes together!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix and aktillery! The duvet cover is cream. I've held up my curtain sample to it and it's pretty exact (this was in October, see, I'm all over the place, I've only had like 4 duvet covers that I've returned since then).
    Those look like fancy sheets Tibbrix! I don't mind duvet covers getting dirty, and the kid and the dog aren't bad.

What I was talking about upthread was the solid coloured pin tucked duvet covers like from West Elm and Target that I didn't think would end up looking good after a few cuddle sessions with the family :)

The Target duvet cover I linked is also 1/2 cotton, 1/2 linen.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Then I did misunderstand. Those linen sheets from Garnet Hill are gorgeousâ¦AND they're $165 for a king!

I frequently have dogs sleeping on the bed with me, and they're allowed to sleep right on top of my duvet covers. However, if I'm sleeping under either of my wool blankets, I do cover them with a cotton sheet for the dogs to be on to keep the wool clean.

If you get the cotton/linen (nice!) set, I think something a solid something you can fold at the bottom of the bed would be nice, again a la artillery's mockup above.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Sounds perfect!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love aktillery's last mockup and Tib's suggestions. I've been lurking here and wasn't a fan of all the patterned covers. They were good on their own but not with your existing draperies. I really like the dark green throw and striped pillows in the mockup and once you find something similar that's a match for your paint color and drapes, it will look wonderful!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I wasn't sold on the pattern mixes either, but you seemed determined, which is why I tried to find some different ones that might work for you. But, as is often the case, Tibbrix was MORE determined and this time I think it was a good thing :-) I really like the mix that aktillery did with the green throw and striped pillows. I do think that will look smashing and set off the curtain pattern.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Olychick, in fairness to you, I did cede to the pattern idea (sighing the entire time, with the back of my hand on my forehead!) and agreed that your fan patterned cover was, IMO, the best of the patterned bunch and did go really well with her headboard.

And it's really artillery who deserves the credit for changing the tide here as it was her last mockup that really showed the differences between patterned and solid covers.

But yes, when I feel certain of something, I can be a tadâ¦what shall we call itâ¦enthusiastic! Yes, we'll go with that word, the polite-society word for "pushy", "obnoxious", "obstinate"â¦.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It often reminds me of a steamroller going through and quashing everyone else's ideas.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

Grow up, the post is about duvet covers, not opinions about other posters personality traits.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Lol May_flowers. What a great response to a comment actually deflecting credit in order to give it to others who deserve it.

Cracks me up.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my everyone. Thank you for your help, olychick, Tibbrix, aktillery, sjhockeyfan, may_flowers, joaniepoanie, and everyone else!

So I bought it. It's on. Not the best pic, and no big pillows, but goes good with my clearance target performance $20 king sheets:) I also told Target I had lost my rain check and they gave me 15% off without it, so I was happy. I had a rough day with some cautious good news, so I figured I deserved it too :)

So here goes...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Very nice. Clean and crisp. Personally, I'd keep the top sheet under the duvet and have as little of the sheets showing as possible, and of course tuck the end of the duvet behind the bench. And if you tug each corner and sides of the duvet, it'll really neaten it out and it'll look so wonderful. When you're tired at night, you'll walk in there and it'll be very welcoming. I think you made a very nice choice.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix. I just threw it on while the small child was eating supper and then he was trying to get in the picture and it's dark and -30 here and well, it was busy, you get the drift :) Thanks for the advice!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, for sure. Absolutely no criticism at all. It's a heck of a lot neater than my duvet, and I don't have a small child!

-30???? Where the heck are you???

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Looks nice...including the pup! I think you're well on your way!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, i exaggerated a bit Tib, i think it was only -27 celcius, I'm in the canadian prairies!

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It didn't help though that when my dh got home at 930pm that he's like, where is the cover? As it looks almost the same as the duvet! Silly boysðÂÂÂ