Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Light Fixture Thoughts

amykath
9 years ago

I have two empty sections a wall at the ends of four large windows in our new build. I was thinking of flanking the windows with these sconces. What do you think of them? Anyone seen or heard anything about them? I cannot find a review anywhere.

Comments (17)

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the area I to which I was referring (on either side of the windows). Excuse the lighting. I had to brighten and contrast just to make the pic more visible.

• pps7
    9 years ago

The sconces are pretty but I wouldn't put them at that location. What if you decided to add drapes at some point? Remember there will be trim so there's not a huge amount of space there.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

what is the room? I like sconces in the dr, bathrooms, and sometimes hallways and bedrooms but I probably wouldn't put them in the family room... will you want panels on the windows? that would give you less room for the sconces...

(now is the time to have floor outlets installed if you know what your furniture placement will be!)

I like the lights- they remind me of colonial décor-- but know nothing about them...

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My husband wants no window treatments (although I love them). This is the living/family room. My house is not colonial so guess I might want to move away from these lights.

I do have the floor outlets installed already.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

If you think you may want to add sconces to the location, just have the space wired for them, to be added later (either these or others). Take a photo and measurements to be able to find them later.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, dh just told me we should leave it as is. No sconces. Hmmmm....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love them and think they'd be perfect there.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib! now you have confused me! lol

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oops, sorry. I really like things that are both beautiful AND functional, and these fit that bill. IMO, you would not be sorry to have them. Sconce lighting is SO pretty.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, maybe I should order them. They come in just one light as well. Do you think on light vs. two would be better?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the one light.

Considering I am painting my room quite dark, it might be best to have some sconces illuminate the color.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Agree, and I like the double one so they fit with the scale of the windows, ceiling height, and overall room better.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The one thing that will bother me is that it is half round and not completely round. Not sure why those kinds of things bug me.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

if you are unsure, just have the wire put there and drywall over... get in the house, paint and decorate and then decide if you really want wall sconces there... easier than having someone come and dry wall over the boxes later I think.....
    i don't think I'd want sconces flanking that big beautiful window, but as we know everyone's opinion is different and what you want is what really matters!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

that's funny, because I like the half round and not the full round shades on sconces and chandeliers (prefer chanty's with no shades).

But the half round will allow the light from the bulb to bounce off the wall and cast a great light coming from behind the sconce.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I second the idea to drywall over it for now. I still have wall covers flanking my sofa from 20 years ago (now there's art hanging). Also, judging from some of your other decisions, I have a feeling that theses sconces may still be a little bit too ornate.

Also, they'll be for mainly for ambiance, right?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I really like them, as I like so many styles. I guess it's easy to start going in one direction and then another and get confused. However, our house will be more contemporary (not modern) and most of the lighting etc is pretty neutral in terms of contemporary, transitional, traditional, or whatever other terms ppl use. I guess I will just wait and see.

Sponsored
Dig Doug's Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Williamsburg's Leading, Award-Winning Landscape Designer Since 1987