Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Would you pay $$$ for one Christmas ornament?

I love antique and vintage mercury glass Christmas ornaments, which I've collected at thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, and from family members. In the few weeks before Christmas each year I like to search ebay for those similar to mine, for current value. (In reality I like to gloat, often pointing out to my kids how much someone else has paid for one that I found at a bargain.)

I noticed that this year a certain style is commanding prices of up to $300 per bulb, mostly by one or two bidders, but there are quite a few bidders participating in the auctions. The most desirable seems to be a diorama, made in Italy, with a crimped edge.

Can anyone tell me why these ornaments are so sought after? I know that prices are based on supply and demand, and that holidays bring nostalgia for things from the past, but to pay thousands of dollars for one style of ornament?

I'm convinced that in next December's Martha Stewart Living, we'll be seeing a white tree covered in blue Italian diorama balls. ;)

The style of Christmas bulb.

Here is a link that might be useful: recently sold on eBay, scroll down

Comments (38)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Sometimes there is no explaining what someone will buy or pay.

Interestingly, I was looking at selling three nativity sets and was looking at sales of them on eBay. Really, there is no accounting for taste - 11 bids on a glow-in-the-dark nativity scene from hong kong?

And there is a market for the old Precious Moments pieces. Who knew?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glow in the dark nativity scene

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

graywings, there were four bidders on that item. If you move quickly you can probably sell all three this week. :)

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

My guess is that since they're glass and not plastic, the supply is pretty low. I have a few of those in the plastic USA version. Mine all came from thrifts and garage sales.

Vintage Christmas décor has been hot for a while. I pared down my collection last year and sold off some of the better/more collectible things on ebay. Even I was shocked at how high things went. I should try and sell more this year, but the to-do list is already too long.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think eBay kind of gets like the Tulip Mania which peaked in Holland in 1637 where the price of a prized single bulb reached the equivalent of 10 x the yearly income of a skilled laborer.

I've seen prices go crazy for a few weeks on something, often based upon some external influence, and then settle: whenever something shows up in an Oprah or Martha magazine prices go crazy--then they normalize again. And prices/competitiveness for Christmas stuff intensifies toward Christmas.

I do spend $$ on one sterling silver ornament a year and $ on one or two hand made ornaments per year. I don't mind spending $$ on the sterling because it has a value of it's own based upon the material.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

No:
    1. I don't like them.
    2. I'd be very worried that they're "Made in China".
    3. Someone seems to have gotten carried away while bidding. There's actually research that people will bid more if someone else bids, too
    4. I just scoured European web sites, including Italian, German, and UK Ebay, and didn't find a single one of these baubles that DID NOT come from the United States.

Also, never seen any like these in Europe.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 13:48

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I do. But it's because I buy one a year as a gift to my stepmother. She collects them. I assume if all six of the kids buy her one, each year, she probably gets enough for a tree in short order. This isn't her style, but if it was, since it's my only gift to her, I might pay big bucks for it. Maybe.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My mother would be scandalized if I paid $300 for one ornament for her! In 1975, my first car cost that exact amount--it was a 1964 VW with a sunroof. Sorry for the old timer's tangent.

Yes, I think that the auction format adds to the price--some folks hate to lose. But mercury glass is so fragile. One slip, and too bad. (Like the story about the man whose cook thought that a tulip bulb was an onion--and put it in the soup!)

• GregNow
    9 years ago

I can agree to graywings. It is difficult to explain why people pay a lot for things like ornaments and what not. It maybe because it reminds them of their family or moments from their pasts or maybe it just makes them feel the season better. I didn't know till now that such market exists and man they cost a fortune.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

I can agree to graywings. It is difficult to explain why people pay a lot for things like ornaments and what not. It maybe because it reminds them of their family or moments from their pasts or maybe it just makes them feel the season better. I didn't know till now that such market exists and man they cost a fortune.

• birdgardner
    9 years ago

I've been looking at the diorama ornaments on eBay for years, but never won an auction - the ones I liked always went for much more than I would pay. I was seeing $40 last year and now $300?

I did buy a lot of spun glass wing birds in past years, and now those prices are way up - $25 minimum. No thank you.

I am not spending a lot of money for something so breakable.

Although I still kind of regret not buying a certain $20 ornament twenty-five years ago - when $20 was harder to come by.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think the most I pay for single ornaments is $20-30 for the Belleek Donegal porcelain ornaments I've been slowly collecting.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

I'd never pay that but 1) some people that's the thing they collect. I paid that much for an autograph once but I collect autographs. Others said to me they'd never pay for someone to squiggle their name on paper 2) some people have excess money and instead of giving it to the poor, they decide to be extravagant. LOL

I have paid up to 30.00 for an ornament. I thought I was insane. Last year I bought 6 Wedgwood, Waterford ornaments for under 10 dollars each! They retailed at the outlet for 35 dollars each so I thought I got a heck of a deal.

I do have two signed Betty White ornaments as well. They are of endangered animals (I have a sea otter and a gorilla) and I paid about 30.00 and she signed them free. All proceeds went to charity. It was totally worth it for the animals she helps. I would buy more if she came back!

This post was edited by dahoov2 on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 12:44

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

$300? Umm, just no! But $20-30 I might well pay depending on what it is. I went through a Radko Santa phase and bought judiciously (and fairly cheaply) off season on sale and off ebay.

I can remember buying several $2-5 glass ornaments at the German glass factories and Christmas shops back in the mid-80's. I was trying to calculate how many I could safely carry or pack in my luggage to carry home. I wish I had bought more. They are still some of my favorite ornaments. Back then of course I didn't have the budget I do now.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, if you search carefully, you can buy them for less than 300.00 or even 50.00 on Ebay. See my link, currently 4 for under 20.00, including one that sold for way more. Check out the Buy it Now option, too.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I noticed all the less expensive ones in my search, too. Also, as far back as September they were much more reasonably priced (still out of my comfort zone) at around $20.00.

I wish I could find more info, but my searches have turned up nothing but ornaments for sale. Maybe they were sold as a complete set, and the ones that are going for top prices are the only scenes that the bidders don't already have.

Here is a link that might be useful: There's a pretty tree at this eBay link 'til Sunday.

• gmp3
    9 years ago

Personally I would not spend that much on something breakable, certainly my Christmas tree would topple over the year I bought them.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I guess willingness to pay high prices is related to what is valuable and important to the bidder. I'm sure I've paid a high price for something in my life that someone else would find ridiculous.

There's definitely a wave of nostalgia for items from the mid-twentieth century. I know some of those Putz paper villages were selling for crazy inflated prices last year.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I would not. I can't even remember the last time I bought an ornament. Did I ever? They just seem to have always been in their old boxes out in the garage. When my daughter was born, the grandparents gave a special ornament to her each year, with her name and the year engraved. We made some too. Gave a few as gifts within the family. Nothing really expensive, just a sweet sentimental thing. That's all that matters to me. Memories of loved ones.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Exactly . . . I would think that I would look back with regret on how much I spent on one ornament I might look at for a few weeks each year. The ornaments with memories or well-crafted homemade ornaments are the most cherished. But it does depend on how much the person wants it, and if that's their "thing."

• rockybird
    9 years ago

There must be something to those ornaments because one of them had 13 people bidding on it for $300. I personally dont think they are very pretty.

I would love to have this nativity scene for my midcentury home, but I cant fathom paying $800 for it. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: nativity scene Alexander Girard

• peegee
    9 years ago

I would never buy any of them because they don't speak to me. But in the past I have spent $$ on hand blown ornaments. I would say now a days, if i really, really liked something, I might consider spending for a special item used only for a few weeks annually by rationalizing that I don't spend money on pricey dinners, cable, going out for entertainment, etc. and that money is NEVER seen again.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for responding. Although I'm conservative when it comes to my vintage ornament acquisitions, my opinion is if you like it and can afford it, that's fine. I was just surprised that someone would pay so much for fragile, easily damaged ornaments. They must not have small kids or cats.

In trying to find info on those specific ornaments, I read that all silvered glass ornaments aren't mercury glass, although that's what most people call them. Real mercury glass items are much more rare, and are actually double-walled, with mercury or silver nitrate between the two layers of glass. It's possible that those Italian ornaments are genuine mercury glass--evidently difficult to tell from a picture.

I like solving mysteries, but this is one that probably won't be solved. Unless of course, Martha really is buying them for a magazine display. I'm going to make a note to check her Christmas issue next year. ;)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I know someone who obsessively collects vintage ornaments but displays them in the vintage boxes rather than hanging them on a tree. But they also have a collection that has involved airplane flights followed by car rides to remote store locations (remote from Manhattan anyway) and this collection must stay in the original boxes inside other boxes in their storage locker. They occasionally peek at it I guess. So "enjoyment" of collections--varies.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know that original boxes add to the value of vintage items, but I think I'd rather enjoy them on the tree. But goodness knows what I'd be like if I had the disposable income to collect on that level. (Think Silas Marner, wringing his hands and counting his gold.)

For the sake of preservation, your friend is right. I'm linking an article on caring for vintage ornaments, including glass. In addition to the no-no's of storing ornaments in unheated/uncooled attics and humid basements, evidently dust and sunlight are very damaging to the finishes. They recommend keeping the ornaments out for only a limited time, and if putting the tree in a window, drawing the curtains during the day. Seems as if that would take a lot of the joy out of the process. And paying big bucks for them even more daring.

On the same page, there is a nice article about collecting and cleaning vintage ornaments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Life123 articles

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Price is relative. For my income and social standing, I have paid more than I should for something I wanted. The fact is, I shop second hand stores and less these days, auctions. Unfortunately, more people are shopping those same places here in my area and prices have gone up. We used to buy sheets at Goodwill for $1 to use inside of quilts that our church group makes. Now they're $3.

There is a wall sized three piece mural on the wall at the cancer center. I swear both of my kids painted a picture exactly like it when they were about 3 years old. This linked piece of sculpture just made me shake my head; and it's one among many art objects that made me shake my head!

If you can afford it, buy it. Enjoy your money.

Here is a link that might be useful: sculpture

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Quite frankly, I'm suspicious of these "Italian" ornaments since they don't show up on any Italian or European web sites --- except on Ebay with their sellers being located in the US.

Also, I find it a little strange that there's Santa Claus in the familiar red outfit, which is something more typical in the Protestant parts of Europe. Since Italy is a Catholic country, and these are supposedly from the 1950s, I would have expected Saint Nick in the bishop's outfit --- if he makes an appearance at all, that is. Just read that Bappo Natale "is gaining popularity in Italy."

Ditto that Christmas trees are becoming more popular, so why would there have been Italian tree ornaments some 60 years ago? Maybe just for the US market? Like the Japanese ornaments?

Any Italians who could shed light on this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas in Italy

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

If I paid more than $20 for one ornament, I'd insist on displaying it year-round. I'm not a cheapskate but I just have a hard time being spendy on something that gets displayed -- among 100 other ornaments so would you even notice it? -- for 3 weeks a year.

I did, however, spend $50 on a real evergreen mantel runner -- which will get thrown away -- so we all have our issues! (I keep the mantel decor up a lot longer than the tree, so see, it all makes sense... to me.)

• CeltiaKris
    9 years ago

I have never seen an ornament that I'd be willing to spend more than $20 on - but that doesn't mean it will never happen! :-)

I think this is more of an internet auction / Ebay psychological experiment. When my everyday dishes got too marked up with gray lines, I decided to use a very pretty depression glass pattern as my everyday dishes. This particular pattern has never been reproduced and it's really unique. It looks delicate, but it's quite durable, and plenty of it is still around. It cracks me up to browse through Ebay, and find auctions for pieces that are totally out of the ballpark. I'm referring to large dinner plates in perfect condition, nothing special or rare. I'm willing to pay $17-$20 with shipping, and if I find a deal for $15, that's fantastic. But some people start their bidding at $40 or $60 - I even saw an $80 once! These are correctly branded, with the full and correctly spelled pattern name. It's like the owner never bothered to find out what actually sells, even though they have all the information to do a proper search.

Sometimes, I use a search string that doesn't include the brand and pattern, just to see what the "ignorant" folks think of Grandma's old glass. Interestingly, they seem to hit slightly above market value, but never go to extremes ($25-$30).

So, for these $300 ornaments, is it just a prestige thing? That is, are they being bought by the people who truly believe you get what you pay for, and never bother to do any research? Are they sold by people who just want to keep pushing the market to test the boundaries? It's bizarre, yet fascinating.

• porkandham
    9 years ago

My living room tree is all glass ornaments, but I don't think any of them, outside of a few Christopher Radko ornaments, were terribly expensive.

My living room tree is all sterling silver ornaments and glass icicles. I buy at least 3 each year. I buy a Reed and Barton Old World Santa for each of my two children and a Lunt Star for myself. They're expensive, but I enjoy them, they have intrinsic value, and if I look for a good deal, I can get 3 for my $300!

• lkplatow
    9 years ago

The most recent issue of Country Living had a couple page spread on vintage ornaments and the diorama ones were featured along with a few other types. The magazine estimated the diorama ornaments as valued at $25. I bet the surge in popularity is from people who saw them in the magazine for the first time (i had never seen one before this thread, and then in the magazine I was reading last night) and decided they had to have one for Christmas.

My husband has been buying me the annual Swarovski snowflake ornaments every year since we got married. They are around $50 each and when I think about the sheer amount of money we have tied up in a collection of ornaments we only display for a couple weeks a year it's kind of alarming. But it's a nice gesture, I do like them, and it seems a shame to stop after collecting them for so long. I am going to need a dedicated tree for them soon though, LOL!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness! I have that issue, and hadn't noticed the ornament in question because it's in the middle of the layout, almost obscured by the hinge. You have a good eye. I have to say, though, that if I read that the value was $25.00, no way would I pay more. I find that the items valued in CL are always way above the prices commanded in my area, but it's nice to know that someone would pay so much for my old stuff.

OT, but last year I decided that I wouldn't buy any more vintage ornaments unless they were really special and a really really great bargain. I passed on a couple of good deals at thrift stores--felt very virtuous, but now that it's time to decorate, I've been kicking myself. Next time I'll get them, and if I have buyer's remorse I'll put them up on eBay.

Also decided to donate my stash of decades of Christmas issues of CL and Country Home. I have more room in my closet, but I miss those articles about vintage collections!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by these ornaments. I like them as vintage/antique items, but before I noticed this trend, I probably wouldn't have paid more than $1.50 for one. Now, if I found a dusty box at a yard sale, I'd buy them as an investment, lol.

We have a new record price, and another that will surpass it. Still shaking my head ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Even higher current bid.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

It doesn't make sense. There were others that sold 60.00 for a box of 4. This reminds me of the Beanie Babies craze.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Like I said, it's like a Seasonal form of the 1637 Dutch Tulip frenzy and by the day after Christmas the prices will plummet again. And most people won't be smart enough to buy them in January, and will fight tooth and nail for them next December. Why won't they buy them in January? Because Christmas is a whole eleven months away, and they may be tired of them/hate them/think they are terribly dated or ugly a whole eleven months from now, so they don't want to commit.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, great appreciation. Two years ago, they went for 10.50.
    I still think it's strange that they are only to be found in the US. Must have been purely for export.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage ornament

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, if I bought one (not happening), I'd want the one in the last three links. The middle angel has a look on his face like 'Ho Hum, another Christmas--big deal.'

I'm beginning to think they might be Russian--he reminds me of
    Abe Vigoda. :P

This post was edited by mama_goose on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 16:19

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Possibly due to its glass made body they are considered a bit expensive than their plastic counterparts. Glass and ceramic are supposed to be delicate so they need extremely skilled craftsmanship.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

NO.
    NEVER.
    NOT FOR ANYONE.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler