Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Which Paint with this Stone?

amykath
9 years ago

Most of you have likely seen my many mockups for my new build. We are doing stone (as seen in the photo) on the front of the house (not all of it). The rest of the house is board and batten and lap siding. The roof will be a dark gray/brown and the windows are a deep bronze. There will be dark stained wood ceilings under out porches and the doors a deep brown. The entire house (minus what I mentioned will be painted one color. No variation for the eaves or the window trim etc. I want it to look simple and and clean.

Here is a pic of SW Passive (on top) and Argos (on bottom) next to the stone. The Passive reads very pale on the siding I have tested it. Which would you think would be a better match?

Thanks in advance!
Amy

Comments (28)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I see arguments for both. Passive, for more contrast with the bronze and dark grays and brownsâ¦but Argos for more contrast with the stone.

I think I'd choose the Argos, as it pretty much accomplishes all of that.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

That's a decision that should be made from the curb if possible. Even just a few feet away and you'll know.

Distance is where exterior palettes fail or flourish - nuance fades with every foot.

If it's pale "on the siding" it could look white from the curb.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm confused about how the windows will be bronze but no variation for the window trim.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Funcolors, I was hoping you'd weigh in.

Linelle, here is my pseudo inspiration pic. See how everything is the same color other than windows, doors and roof?

• pps7
    9 years ago

The lighter color judging from your inspiration.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

When you squint your eyes at the image, Passive (on top) stands out and Argos (on bottom) blends in. I would go for Passive, the Argos will be too bland when you view it from the street and all that expensive stonework will disappear and be for not.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Repost.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 11:05

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I would go with Argos...it is darker and will fade over time. Passive may look too washed out in a year or two from fading.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Ditto joaniepoanie for the fade factor.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's very overcast here which is unusual for us in Texas. Here are the samples. Probably won't dm show accurately due to monitors etc. pay no attention to the left sample. The one 2nd from the left is Argos.

When it's sunny, I'm sure it will look much different.

I also think my camera made the image a little darker.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

" here is my pseudo inspiration pic. See how everything is the same color other than windows, doors and roof?" It could be my monitor, but the stone on the house, the stone wall, the downspout, the siding, and the walkway all seem to be different colors in your inspiration picture. It all works together, but I do not think they have achieved a truly monochromatic look. Of course, color plays differently on different surfaces, so maybe that accounts for the variation. I also think that sticking too much to one color could end up being boring.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any thoughts on the paint colors?

• pps7
    9 years ago

I like the middle 2. Is it possible to sample close to the stone? There is definitely a green undertone to the Argos. Are you ok with that?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks pos! Yes, definitely ok with the green undertone. In person it looks bluer than green.

Yes, I definitely need to put some stone next to the paint

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

IMO, the stone, being a natural material, will be fine with either. But I do think the bronze windows and the darker gray and brown roof will look better with the Argos. On the other hand, the Argos seems a lot darker than your inspiration pic.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I took a stone over to the house and I decided I do not like one of the colors I have so far selected. They all look so pink and way off when putting the stone next to them. Like oil and water.

I am on to repose gray! Wish me luck!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

ak, I think even the gray in your inspiration pic looks pinky in places. You mentioned you wouldn't mind a slight green undertone (nor would I). Would the green possibly foil pinky-ness?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the the two colors in the middle are green in undertone but they look purple gray in person. I need to move to a warmer tone. Especially after looking at everything with the stone. The stone is a warm white instead of a cool gray white.

I promise to keep you posted as I continue the saga of paint hunting!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

aktillery, check out BM Rodeo, a very creamy gray, beautiful color.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tib, that's really pretty. My painter only uses SW. I'm going to try and stay with them until I find the right color. Wish me luck. I need it!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After many samples, I have sadly returned to my very first one. The winner is Gray Owl. It is the only one that does not read pink or too gray. Our Austin White Limestone has other than white, hints of cream and a little gold running through it. It seems the only paint I can find that does not compete with it is the pale looking Gray Owl. I always pictured my house white, so I think I am coming full circle. At least I am not painting it white white.

For reference it is the 4th sample from the left in the last photo I posted.

It should happen this week. WIll keep you posted. I am sure you are hanging by a wire with anticipation. lol

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I can't wait to see the finished result! I bet it will look just wonderful.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, now I'm totally confused, because Gray Owl is a BM color.

Hmmmâ¦..

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the vote of confidence Cyn! I have stressed out about this. It is hard when you are paying someone to paint your entire house and then, what if you hate it. Well, too bad so sad. Hopefully I will like it.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Tib, SW has the color formula. So, that is what I used for my test on the siding. Yeah I know it is blah, but I promise every other shade read sad gray or pink. I think in the end the white with all of the wood and darker tones of my roof, doors, windows etc. will look good. Plus, we will do a good deal of landscaping with color.

I leave to go out of town today and will be back Friday. Hopefully, I will see it painted by then. However, it will be hard to see the big picture until I get the roof and stone on the house. I cannot wait for this all to be done!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!
    Amy

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, no, I really like the Gray Owl. I was just confused because you said you couldn't use BM when I suggested looking at Rodeo.

Well, I hope you LOVE the Gray Owl.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got back from out of town and saw the gray owl on my siding. I really like it. Thank goodness. Will share photos soon!

Thanks everyone!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

yay!!!!!