Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to install window hardware

Posted by bethohio3 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 8:31

In two rooms we're putting up rods that "sit" on the rod brackets. Both windows are about 70" wide. In both cases, there will be single panel on each side, which we don't intend to close.

My questions are:

1) Is 4" from the window the right place to end the rod (before the finials)?

2) Where, relative to the window frame (no molding) should the brackets be placed?

3) Where am I supposed to find time to make the panels for the guest room?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to install window hardware

Unlike chandeliers, where you have a specific placement height, curtains and curtain rods don't have that specificity. It depends on the room, on the curtains, on the location of the window on the wall, and probably some other factors I can't think of at the moment.

If you post a photo of the window and maybe of the rod and the fabric, you will get opinions on what to do. Currently the fad is to "hang-em high," that is, to mount the bracket near the ceiling. But that's not the best solution for every window.

o

If you never intend to close the curtains, could you use the short rods...I believe JCPenney has them or Lowes. You would put them on each side of your window.

o

1) Is 4" from the window the right place to end the rod (before the finials)?
Depends on way too many factors.

2) Where, relative to the window frame (no molding) should the brackets be placed?
That would be your personal preference. I do not like them too high myself.

3) Where am I supposed to find time to make the panels for the guest room?
No one finds time... they MAKE time. We all make the time to do what is important to us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here