Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecohens

Help Me Find a Modern/Sleek Secretary Desk

thecohens
9 years ago

I need to find a high secretary desk to go in my transitional/mostly modern family room. I've been eyeing this one at William Sonoma Home. It's beautiful and works with modern or transitional.

The problem is that it's black lacquer,and I have two kids under 5. I worry we'll chip the finish many, many times over. Solid wood is the way to go. Any ideas on a sleek, more-modern tall secretary?

All the modern-ish ones I'm seeing are big blocks of square wood. No thanks! I like a more delicate look with a tapered leg or tapered body.

(On a side note, anyone have experience with black lacquered furnitiure? Is it as delicate as I fear? The wood sample they sent is already chipping on the edges--but the center seems very durable. If it's more durable than I think, then I would buy the WS desk in a second!.)

Here is a link that might be useful: WS Lacourte Desk

Comments (19)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Look at Room and Board and see if one of the sizes of the Linear series would work, or if the Grove would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room and Board Office

• thecohens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's funny that you mention the Grove. I looked at it, but despite the tapered leg, I find it to be rather blocky and clunky. Any other ideas?

I also looked at Mitchell Gold, but I find their quality to be terrible.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think that with the natural wood pieces it may be difficult to find something that isn't a bit blocky unless you go vintage Scandinavian.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I like the WS one you showed. How much 'in the traffic pattern' will it be? Little kids won't be using it and if it is not in the play room, you should be okay. Just herd them away from it when they are zooming around or pushing trucks and cars around! Ha. It really is a pretty piece.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That WS piece is very pretty. Maybe you could touch up worn edges with the same stain used on the inside, to give it a vintage feel.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

Here's one from Drexel, a bit more transitional with circular inlays; the top drops down to form the desk portion. Called the Kalidescope 200-900.

• thecohens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, suero, that's a beautiful desk! I'm checking out the link now.

The desk will be in a corner, so not in a heavily trafficked area. But, the house is small, so no guarantee the kids wont' bump into it. Would love to hear from others with lacquered pieces. Anyone out there?

• caminnc
    9 years ago

This is one of my favorites but it's probably more expensive than the one you posted. I think it also comes in black.

This post was edited by caminnc on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 17:58

• thecohens
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another great choice. Yes, I've admired that secretary for a while. but I think HIckory Chair discontinued it. So sad!

• Mike121
    9 years ago

Well the vintage feel that oozes on seeing is really incredible. Age old art still prevails and its admirers have to grow everyday. Well nothing bad is associated with me when I see this table.
    Saurabh

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

You could do no wrong with a vintage Danish design. They're made to be timeless and the older they get, the better they get. Scratches here and there only add to the patina.

Here is a link that might be useful: MCM Danish modern

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

That WS secretary desk is gorgeous. I can see why you are drawn to it.

I have this Pottery Barn Graham secretary desk in mahogany. I really love how it looks and it's just the right size for me. I'm not sure if it's too traditional for your tastes though.
    {{gwi:2140607}}

Crate & Barrel offers this Newman desk. It's a lot more affordable than the WS desk, so if your children destroyed it maybe it wouldn't be quite such a loss.

Crate & Barrel also offers this Clarke secretary desk. Not quite the same look, but very modern.

CB2 has a similarly modern, but more spare desk in the Intimo.

Room and Board offers this nice looking office armoire in a variety of finishes.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love the one that Suero posted.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

How sturdy are the ones with the hinge thingies?

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

The PB one I posted has some wood pieces that you pull out underneath the desk surface as well to provide support. I wouldn't sit or lean on it though.

• chedj
    8 years ago

pricklypearcactus--could you give me more details on the PB secretary you have? Did you see the white one by any chance in person? curious what the finish is like. sturdy? handsome enough for a great room, on display 24-7?

• S D
    last year

@caminnc where is the white secretary desk in your photo from?

• Jilly
    last year

S D, lots of places sell it, here’s one:

https://www.perigold.com/furniture/pdp/century-thomas-obrien-hallings-secretary-desk-cetu1198.html

Google ’Hallings Secretary’ for others.