Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

X-Post from Bathrooms: Kohler Moderne Gold Timeless?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone!
We are building a new home and went a little over budget on the things that can't really be changed later- windows, HVAC, flooring, etc. To stay in budget (we're really trying!), we are going cheaper on the stuff that can be upgraded later (faucets, lights, interior doors).

One faucet I think we will have to splurge on is the powder room. This is because we are making the sink vanity out of my great grandfather's childhood dresser. It's shallow, so we have to use a wall mounted faucet. Wall mounted faucets, unless I am mistaken, seem much harder to change out later as there are fewer choices and they seem to have proprietary rough-in valves. (Please chime in if I am wrong about that)

So, the faucet I would really love to use with Grandpa's dresser is the Kohler Purist. We are going to have mixed metals in the house, and I think the Moderne Brushed Gold would look really neat against the wood dresser and the white quartzite top. However, I would hate to spend so much on a faucet only to have it seem hopelessly outdated before too long.

Do you think the Gold is a worthy finish, or should I play it safe with a silver tone faucet?

Thanks!!!!

Comments (28)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you think it would look good against the dresser in 2015, why do you think it would suddenly look bad before too long? Is it going to turn ugly just because Kohler could decide to discontinue the finish in 2016 and then someone would realize (if they even paid attention) that it wasn't brand new at the time they saw it?

I am not saying this to Be snarky although it sounds snarky.

But when people ask questions like this, I ask questions like I just did because you need to ask yourself what's important, always looking current, or using something you like without worrying about what someone's or your own judgment is about how it fits in with current trends. And, Do you Like it for what it is, or are you currently infatuated with it because it's different than the typical silver finishes?

If you are worried about it being dated before you buy it, my advice would be to use chrome because chrome or polished nickel have been the most common finishes since people put bathrooms inside.

But the other thing you have to worry about then is the shape. Because that is going to speak of a certain period, too. So if you get too wrapped up in finding something that doesn't give a hint as to whether it's dated or not, you can really get into trouble.

So I think you have to think about what it is you like about the Purist and what it is that you Already Don't like about the Purist, since you already have reservations about it, and that might help you make a decision.

• springroz
    9 years ago

My MIL used those gold fixtures in her bathroom in the house built in 1983. They never looked good to me, but they look really bad to me a few years later! I love brass, but those gold fixtures ...

I would use brass. It will look like it goes with the dresser.

• springroz
    9 years ago

My MIL used those gold fixtures in her bathroom in the house built in 1983. They never looked good to me, but they look really bad to me a few years later! I love brass, but those gold fixtures ...

I would use brass. It will look like it goes with the dresser.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Palimpset, thanks for chiming in! I love the shape/lines of the whole Purist collection. I have never had the opportunity to choose the "permanent" metals in a home. I have used gilt accessories in homes before and always liked them. I'm going to have some gold light fixtures in the house, but they aren't such an investment so they don't make me nervous. My thinking is that the gold is a nice way to bridge the gap between my hundred year old dresser and my Scandy modern house. I just don't want to spend $700 on the next harvest gold/avocado green of faucets. There is also a brushed bronze color that's a hair more traditional, and perhaps inherently more timeless, but it's backordered.

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 8:52

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, springroz. Kohler doesn't specifically offer "brass." I guess I just figured that Moderne Gold was just their fancy proprietary name for brushed brass. Maybe I'm wrong about that?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yipes, I just saw a photograph someone took of their moderne gold faucet and it is wicked bright, not the way it looks in the Kohler photos. Maybe the brushed bronze is the way to go.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

I would get what you think will look best (to you!) with the piece you're talking about... I wouldn't order anything tho without seeing it in person... don't make a decision by a picture you saw on line or in a photo...

if you are like me and stay in the house long enough you will probably tire of whatever you put in after a while! but, if you wait it out, you will like it again! (if you love it to start!)

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

My daughter is in the process of remodeling her home and she just installed the brushed brass door knobs on the interior doors and is going to refinish her shiny exterior/interior Pella brass door handles. (hope this works as she has 6 sets of door handles). She kept her antique brass trim on the fireplace (I thought she was crazy). She has added brass accents and accessories and it is really looking good.
    Go with what you love.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I just watched a movie where the main character lived in an 19th century apartment in Paris. So many of his fixtures were close to that color. I think its timeless. It may go out of style but will come back again. If you love it, then go for it! I think it will look fantastic and along with your grandfathers old dresser will be something people will really notice and love. Just be sure that you love it.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

You are already over budget. Get an inexpensive fixture. The powder room is an odd place to splurge. That money is needed for more significant matters.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Kiwi, I replaced a bathroom faucet about 10 years ago with a Kohler in French Gold. I still love it. I looked at your Purist in the FG finish because I saw they still offered it. On the site it looked garish to say the least. I wouldn't choose a finish based on how it appears on a website because IRL my FG has the look of an antique burnished brass and your brushed gold is probably beautiful IRL.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very good point. I will try to find it in town.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

emmarene, we aren't over budget in general. We've gone over on some things and under on others. What I was trying to convey is that this is our only investment faucet, and, due to installation methods, it will be a very permanent decision. Actually, I have learned here at GW that a wall mount faucet is not a place to skimp because if a valve fails you have a real problem on your hands. I'm not stressing over the investment in general, but I do very much want to get it right. No do-overs on this one.

You do, however, make an excellent point. It is very easy to get starry eyed and make unwise financial decisions in the course of building or remodeling, particularly in a forum like this where there is such a huge range in the financial means of the participants. I love to see fellow GWers' Dornbrachts and Kohler Karbons, but those will probably never be mine. :-)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There was a request in the bathrooms forum to see the set up we are planning. Here is my grandfather's dresser:

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a dresser/vanity conversion that is set up the way we plan to do ours:

• amykath
    9 years ago

WOW!!! That is stunning! I am in love! You know i see eyes in the handles. So cool!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Be still my heart. I love your grandfather's dresser. The wood is gorgeous and I am just in love with the beautiful handles. AK, they really do look like eyes. I think the purist in brushed gold would be stunning and make for a real statement piece. I can't wait to see it all in place!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both! I treasure this dresser. My great grandfather was amazing and I have wonderful memories of him. I was very lucky that he was of strong stock- I have photos of him holding my first two children :-)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The wall hung version of the faucet? I can't see it in the chrome with this dresser.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The plan was bronze or gold. :-)

• suero
    9 years ago

What will be on the other side of the powder room wall, that is, will you be able to access the valve easily from the other side? If you can, then don't sweat your decision.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, of course!! It's completely accessible from the other side. *facepalm*

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

That dresser is absolutely beautiful! What a treasure to have something with such meaning and so gorgeous.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting these pics for me. Get some samples of the faucet finish that will help a lot.

I have a wall mounted faucet and planned it to be accessible from the back if ever it was needed. The accessible area is inside a closet in the room on the other side of the sink. I had a new cabinet made for my soapstone sink and tall backsplash. My faucet rough-in is installed through the wall and the thick backsplash. I actually could disassemble the faucet and sink from the front too, and lift the vanity away from the wall if I needed to. I have a large access hole behind the backsplash. But to change out the rough-in I think going through the wall, behind would be preferable, because there is more room to cut a hole to access plumbing.

Note that the faucet comes out of the backsplash and drips straight into the sink. There is no counter below the faucets and spout. I mention this because, most pictures I see with a wall mounted faucet have a counter below the handles. I love the way mine is set up because all wet droppings from the hands wind up in the sink and not onto the counter. This sink is a breeze to use and clean. It is 18" square outside and around 10" deep outside.

This is my guest bathroom/mudroom/ on our working farm. On occasion I might be mixing calf milk replacer in the sink, or washing a dog in the bathtub. The sink can be used to wash fairly large items too.

It was a real treat to plan all of this and see it come alive. You will have so much fun with your beautiful dresser.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I like Pal's reply. Really, you need to figure out whether you like the brassy finishes intrinsically, vs. liking them because they're new and fresh and you haven't seen them around as much.

I like Kohler's gold, but you should definitely see it in person. It's a deeper (more orange, maybe?) yellow than the polished brass we're used to. And the brushed bronze is like a dark, dark, nickel.

Not sure if you've considered this or not but I'll bring it up: What if you want to hand down your dresser? What if you want to move? The dresser will be stuck in your bathroom.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

enduring...WOW! Perfect!

I think since it's your own home...use any finish YOU like. If your decorating a flip or hoping to sell in a few years....decorate for others....

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

enduring, that is truly spectacular! Thank you for sharing!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, hydrangea. If I have to move from this house it will be into a padded room! If we ever do sell- *shudder*- the dresser will not go with the house. Nevernevernever.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022