Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leennp

Need help with exterior color choices!

leennp
10 years ago

I posted this in the paint forum and got some feedback, but there is much more activity on this forum. We purchased this 1970's brick house a few months ago and are completely remodeling the inside, we are also changing the windows out, replacing front door and side door and need to repaint the siding and the shutters in the front. The original colors are a creamy white on the siding and a very dark green for the shutters and doors. I don'd dislike the original colors but do feel the overall look is a little bland, many details can not even be seen from the street as the house is on 7 acres and sits back from the road. Roof color will not change since relatively new, and I am not interested in painting the brick as do not want the upkeep. I am attaching some photos of the front, it is a one story but rather wide so difficult to get whole effect of front of house and see details. Also need to pick exterior window frame color. We are planning on using Marvin integrity windows and trying to decide between using the bronze which is similar to the original aluminum windows, or go with the pebble grey or cashmere color. Will attach the window color choices. Thanks for all the help!

Comments (11)

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front of house, it has been very rainy lately so kind of a grey day.

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The is towards the left where the driveway goes up the side, there is a side porch over there with another entry door that I will need to select a paint color for, I was thinking maybe stick with the final selection for shutters. The door is 3/4 glass.

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right front of house

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Closer up view of the front window sizes flanked by shutters, there are 5 of these windows across the front of the house, we will be replacing the shutters but they will be painted.

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There are the exterior window color choices we have to choose from. The one on the left is cashmere, bronze in middle and pebble grey on the right. Was leaning towards the pebble grey as blends in with the brick mortar. Was not sure if the cashmere was just a little off color, bronze kind of looks like the aluminum windows we are replacing. Would be going for double hung with no divided lights as both my husband and I like the uninterrupted view without divided lights. Other other possible exterior window color is black, but my husband kind of nixed that idea as did not like it.

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We also already have a new front door, it is a stained mahogany door with 3/4 glass to let a little more light in the front foyer. Door has decorative glass. Also thinking of replacing the exterior lighting and maybe moving up higher on the siding, they look a little low to me but I have actually never had wall mounted lights on porch before, only flush or recessed ceiling lights. Thanks for any input!

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just bumping up to top hoping for any input. Thanks!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like the pebble gray. Are you going to keep the shutters black?

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I'd use the pebble gray and paint the shutters the same color. That leaves you the option to paint the door a lovely shade.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I like the pebble too.

What about a nice sage-y green with shutters to match the windows? Not my strong point, but I seem to remember reading greens go with brick somewhere.

• leennp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for suggestions, I was leaning towards the pebble grey too, it seemed to blend in rather than stand out. The shutters are some version of black that has faded through the years or a version of very dark green. I do like the contrast against the brick. What do you guys think of the yellowy off white of the siding? Would you keep the siding and soffits a the same or similarly light color?