Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Color blocking a room or rooms

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

Color blocking...adding and mixing wall colors for a specific effect. This can include trying to coordinate wall colors between disparate spaces that are visible from one vantage point. Hard to find examples in houzz as it's hard to search for, but when and if I find nice examples, I will post them here. Others of course are welcome to add their finds as well.

The easy one to find is the accent wall. A way of adding dramatic impact to a space without it becoming overwhelming. In the bedroom below, the room would have had a more somber and formal feel had all the walIs been painted brown.

Contemporary Bedroom by Gainesville Photographers Morgan Howarth Photography

Eclectic Living Room by Philadelphia Home Stagers Busybee Design

I like to use accent walls as well when you have an open space but want to coordinate yet define different areas of the space, say LR vs DR. Here the red defines the dining area, the gold the living area in an open space.

Contemporary Living Room by San Francisco Photographers Ed Ritger Photography

In this case, the dark end wall helps foreshorten the look of the long, narrow room.

Modern Living Room by Minneapolis Photographers Don F. Wong

In this case, color blocking was used to highlight the different architectural features in the room....the cream, the beige and the rust all play nicely together. Emphasizing the horizontal lines helps bring the high ceiling down to a more comfortable proportion.

Contemporary Living Room by San Francisco Architects & Designers House + House Architects

Comments (51)